Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:47 pm 

Hello everyone!
My name is Kwame! A few years back i got introduced to the 240z while at a car show at Bear Mountain Park. Since then i've been in love with car, its liines, its style and stance. It was also my first experience with a classic car. I've never lookedin the engine bay of vehicle and seen the ground beneath me!..lol! I have an uncle who owns a 240z that he plans to give to me in the next few months. I had helped him get it to turn over 2 years back after it sat for a 8 years. My goal for joining your forum is to educate myself more on the vehicle and its history. Also to join a community that i can use a resource. I attmepted to join a NY club forum but had great difficulty. Fortunately being in Westchester County puts me very close to CT, especially since i haven't yet been able to find a mechanic in Westchester that works on or is familiar with the 240z and i'm sure i'll need assistance. Hope to make it to events and socialize!! :thumbs_up: :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:47 pm 

WELL! What an exciting introduction! :D
Welcome, Kwame! You've just found the best Z Club ever! Hundreds of cars and hundreds of members. We're friendly and helpful in here and looking fwd to meeting you and Zeeing your Z.

There are two outstanding Z mechanics near you, both great guys; RDZ Motorsports in Danbury and Bedini Motors in New Milford. Both are our members and we use them shamelessly. Nearly every one of our cars has been worked on repeatedly by one or the other of these guys over the years, and we highly recommend them. You need to get to know both places and become familiar with the wiZards at both shops. Here are the links to those shops:

1. http://rdzmotorsports.com/
2. http://www.ctzcc.com/images/bedini.pdf

What year is your 240? It matters! They started out lightweight, somewhat basic and fast, then progressed to more luxury, more comfort, more bells and whistles and more weight. Performance on the very early cars was better, but the later cars had more rigidity, greater comfort and better build quality, and offered auto transmissions and air-conditioning, which the early cars didn't. Rust is an issue with every 240Z. Rust is our enemy and the enemy never sleeps. We can show you where to look for "fatal rust" and for "fixable rust". We hear there are "rust free 240Zs" but none of us has ever seen any. Some of us have MADE them that way, and you will hear all about those and see a few while you're with us.

We hold meetings every month at various places around the state. That gives members an equal chance to enjoy us. We meet on the 2nd wednesday of each month usually, but sometimes we change the day for practical reasons. Our meetings are all free ~ we never ask you for a nickel ~ and we feed you piZZa and soda free too. No profanity, vulgarity, alcohol, drugs or dogs allowed at any of our meetings or events because this is a family-oriented Club and many members bring their wives and kids with them. We have a lot of fun together and we learn something from every meeting we hold. You don't have to arrive in a Z. Because of the september car show, our next monthly meeting will be held on Wed/30Sep. We're bringing it CLOSE TO YOU, at Miller Nissan in Fairfield CT.

We also have our annual Z car show coming up next month and you should make the drive to zee our Zs. Your admission is free, of course. Bring you wife, GF or kid if you'd like. Certainly bring your camera and your questions:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8761

Looking fwd to meeting you and hearing more about your Z (lucky boy!) and showing you the cars you have been *bitten* by. Once you have the Z-bug, there is no cure.

Frank T

Last edited by Frank T on Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:10 pm 

Thanks for all the info! Its a 1972 240z. My plan is to get it running and just drive. I'll fix or patch the aesthetics and have fun with it! Here are few old pics from 2 years back!
Attachment:
1.png
1.png [ 556.75 KiB | Viewed 4762 times ]
Attachment:
image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg [ 109.19 KiB | Viewed 4762 times ]
Attachment:
image5.jpeg
image5.jpeg [ 107.94 KiB | Viewed 4762 times ]
Attachment:
image8.jpeg
image8.jpeg [ 113.21 KiB | Viewed 4762 times ]
Attachment:
image9.jpeg
image9.jpeg [ 82.99 KiB | Viewed 4762 times ]
Attachment:
image10.jpeg
image10.jpeg [ 78.53 KiB | Viewed 4762 times ]
Attachment:
image22.jpeg
image22.jpeg [ 92.26 KiB | Viewed 4762 times ]
Attachment:
image26.jpeg
image26.jpeg [ 83.66 KiB | Viewed 4762 times ]
Attachment:
image27.jpeg
image27.jpeg [ 80.59 KiB | Viewed 4762 times ]
Attachment:
image11.jpeg
image11.jpeg [ 67.27 KiB | Viewed 4762 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:07 pm 

That looks completely useable!
It was originally green with beige interior, everybody's favorite color scheme. Do you have all the interior parts, or will you be needing some? I see an air-conditioning switch inside (by the driver's right knee) but it's all been removed from the engine compartment. You're missing a windscreen washer bottle but I think I might have one for you. Not sure I have any hoses left for it, tho. I might also have a rear side lamp for that empty space behind your L/R wheel. You need a battery and new tires (that front one is about to pop). You've got good 5-slot wheels but I sure hope you can find the key to those locks. Your rust doesn't look fatal anywhere you photographed, but the dangerous place is the frame rails under the car. Even your doglegs look OK and your floors look solid. The cars even looked very good without bumpers, so you might not want to put those back on.

You said you got the engine running, which is a major step forward. I would tow the car to the closest car wash and power-wand the engine and engine bay. Don't spray directly onto the radiator core or it will come apart. You could put a plastic sandwich bag over the distributor cap to keep water out of there. Just hose the whole thing down and let it dry for a day, then you can check the fluids and try to start it again. Also ~ if it's been sitting for 8years, it has mice SOMEwhere.....maybe in the intake air cleaner (that orange "bread box" at the carbs). Unscrew the two thumbscrews and take the cover off to check for nests in there before running the engine much.

Time deteriorates the clutch and brake master cylinders and turns the fluid into black coffee. You can almost expect to need replacements for them. All in all, this appears to be a very useable Z if you put the seats back in and started working on the small rust you have. This is going to be a fun project, and could keep you happily busy this winter. 8)