Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Looking for work
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:08 am 

Hi Everyone,

I met a few dynamite folks last Sunday but I'd like meet some more. I have an 86' 300 ZX that I got from my best friend's Dad. He was the most meticulous person I've ever known so I jumped on the opportunity to purchase this car from him way back in 1998.

I arrived at the show complete with a 4 Sale sign and luckily Frank T. advised me to price it much higher than I had planned. :D Well because of the encouragement, interest and support that people showed I left the show with a changed mind, and I've been so psyched about it ever since. Knowing there's such a great support system out there makes all the difference. So, that being said I would like to ask if anyone in my neck of the woods (Waterford) is doing some work on their Z and would like some help or just doesn't mind me watching and asking questions I'd appreciate it. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, fixed my hood latch and power unit plus I was a power plant operator once upon a time so I'm not totally clueless. I've just never worked on a car. Let me know and I'll PM my contact info.

Not sure if I'm going to make the picnic but I'm going try like heck. Looking forward to meeting to meeting ya'll
Colette

Post subject: Re: Looking for work
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

Good for you, Colette!

Start with things that are small and simple and be patient and you'll find it all very gratifying and rewarding.

If you can't find someone physically in your area, then post a specific question about a specific issue you are having and you'll likely find plenty of advice to guide you. As a general rule, try to include as many details as possible, including a photo or two where useful.

Everyone starts where you are right now (actually, many start with even less)...our forums are filled with success stories from one-time novices who wanted to learn rather than simply hire a mechanic. It won't be long before you'll be adding yours.

- Jim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:28 pm 

Thanks Jim!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:23 pm 

Welcome, Colette!
Why do you have to live 50 miles away from me? :cry: Meeting you was one of the highlights of the Z car show for me Sunday, and to see your beautiful little pearly queen. Glad you've reconsidered selling her, because it's plain you love her. A beautiful lady with a beautiful car ~ you two belong together. :)
I didn't see very much that needed to be done to it, aside from the dogleg rust. You said you had issues with one speaker and wanted to change the gasket on the intake plenum. The car looked and sounded great from outside, but only an owner can know all the little things needing attention. Something about not being able to unlock the glovebox, too?

You also mentioned the prior owner had been an aircraft owner/mechanic and had taken meticulous care of the car. That's one more reaZon to keep it and just tidy up whatever little odds and ends it might need. Well-kept Zs last much longer than neglected ones do.

This Club is full of knowledgeable members who have made their own mistakes and learned from them. We love to help each other and try hard to keep all these great cars on the road for another generation. We have several Zs in your area (Jewett City, Colchester, Old Saybrook, Rhode Island, some of the guys on-base at Groton [altho they get deployed a lot] and points East from there).

Those doglegs can be repaired with panel kits available from several sources. Metal panels would paint better, but fiberglass panels would never rust again. Several of our members have repaired their own rust holes there (the rear doglegs are a common rust area for all Zs). Getting a couple guys to gang up on your car could get it fixed up in a short time. You might have to bribe them with a hamburger or steak on the grill, but once they get to know you (she's smart and beautiful, guys, and full of humor! And she has a technical profession, playing with fun toys!), it will be hard to keep them away. That plenum gasket would be a single-day job if the gasket was at hand to begin with. (Rock Auto sells a good steel Beck Arnley gasket for about $4. Also, because of your CTZCC membership, you get 10% discount on parts from Executive Nissan (where we met you) and 5% discount from Rock Auto).

I say we just gather a bunch of members together for a full day and gang up on your car together. Then you'd owe us help when our cars needed work.

Don't sell your ZX. You belong together.

Glad to have you aboard!
Frank T

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:31 pm 

Frank, I think I love you :roll: !
That's a great idea if you can get anybody else on board. I used to work on the SUBASE (lower base- it was so cool, the sub 'parking' lot was right outside my door. They are awesome and so are the folks who operate them.
Oh, 8) back to the subject at hand, I'd appreciate any help taking care of my sweet little ride.
I'm a great cook according to those who love me (and they can be honest) so everyone would be well fed.
Can I call you tomorrow, I have lot's of questions...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:54 pm 

["Frank, I think I love you ! I"]

But I wanna know fo' sho'....
(BaDum BaDummmmm.....)
C'mon, hold me tight....
(BaDum BaDummmmmm..........)
Ah lovvvve youuuuu.

http://youtu.be/oiO7jieJopw?t=24s

I love you, too. 8)

Can you post pictures of those two rust holes? Gives us some idea of what needs to be done.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:03 pm 

Wow Frank . . . . . not too predictable there :P :P :thumbs_up:

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:23 pm 

Heyyyyyyy...... 8) That film was Ringo Starr's finest moment.

I gotta approach the world from my personal ethnocentric perspective. :lol: i grew up listening to that stuff.

I strongly suspect anything adults today have to say to each other could *probably* be sung from '60s/'70s/'80s/'90s rock n roll. You could carry on full-day conversations (or church sermons!) just with snippets from YouTube! :lol:

How about helping out with some bodywork, Karl? Have you ever felt the urge to cut out somebody else's rusty doglegs?

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:52 pm 

Ringo ? ? ? Was he in the Troggs ? ? ? ?

Cut out dogleggs . . . . . yes . . . . weld in new metal ? ? ? Maybe someone else . . . 8)

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:28 pm 

No no ~ Ringo was that caveman @1:41 in the movie ("CAVEMAN"/1981). He got to squeeze Barbara Bach. His finest hour.

OK, you can cut and we can weld. It should be a team effort. Sounds like a chance at free hamburgers to me. Anytime I can get fed for free by a pretty lady, I volunteer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:27 am 

Attachment:
20140907_163217_rustdvr (600x800).jpg
20140907_163217_rustdvr (600x800).jpg [ 245.5 KiB | Viewed 12122 times ]
Frank, you crack me up :roll:

Hope these show enough, the driver's side one is questionable. let me know if I need to get another shot. It's ironic, I took these for the for sale ad. This is a much better use. :thumbs_up:

Hmmm, looks like I might have attached the same file twice, will try again. Got it
Attachment:
20140907_163201_pass_sm(800x600).jpg
20140907_163201_pass_sm(800x600).jpg [ 373.49 KiB | Viewed 12159 times ]

Last edited by CCzoom on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Photos revised
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:28 am 

I can't seem to delete this post, perhaps it will look easy tomorrow. But in the meantime Thanks Philipe for the info., and yes Frank T. the rust is thru to the cargo area on the passenger side. I took a look under the driver's side yesterday. It doesn't look very good, lot's of rust all the way from the visible hole forward. I took some pics bit I'm not sure how informative they are. It might not be all that bad either I just don't know enough to judge.

From what I can tell looking at the parts the rht. side needs a rear qtr. panel, inner & outer wheel arches. On the driver's side a rocker panel and rckr panel end but before I go ordering anything (steel or fiberglass) I'd appreciate a more knowledgeable pair of eyes taking a look. :?

Last edited by CCzoom on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:33 am 

I think I figured it out. here's the driver's side rust shot. (I hope)

Attachment:
20140907_163217_rustdvr (600x800).jpg
20140907_163217_rustdvr (600x800).jpg [ 245.5 KiB | Viewed 12158 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:48 am 

That'll do, thank you. We have recently changed website formats and many of us are experiencing real problems posting pictures now. They all come out the size of roadmaps regardless what we try. You managed to get a good one of the worse hole, so that'll do it.

In this country, rust-outs around the wheelwells happen on the passenger side more than on the driver's side. That's because we park our cars at the curb, and all the salt, silt, water and mud are collected along the curb line. In other countries where they drive on the 'wrong' side of the road, the greater damage would be on the opposite side (but still the 'passenger' side, since those countries misplace the steering wheel too).

Have you noticed whether the cargo area is effected by this hole? In other words, is it all the way thru the body yet, or just affecting the fender?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:50 am 

You can delete those two big pictures. In the lower right corner, press "X" and they will disappear. :thumbs_up: