Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: New member from RI
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:46 pm 

I've been working a lot with the metal fabricator at work and I've been learning quite a bit. I spend about 3 hours after work everyday working on random projects and here's what I've come up with so far.

In order to clean things up I made up a new simplified fuel rail and pressure regulator. I made a new aluminum heat shield as well as the aluminum cover to the intake which will cover most of the wires and give the spare screw bosses something to do.
I'm going to try and run without a could start injector but I'm keeping the air regulator to see if just a higher idle will be enough to keep her running. I'll be able to reinstall the injector should it not work out.

I've also converted to a throttle cable versus the giant linkage.

Also in the works is a fully stainless steel 2.5" exhaust which will be finished when I can drive the car from maine to my work in Attleboro MA

Heres the beginning of forming the flange that bolts to the stock manifold:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:14 pm 

Heading up to Maine to install the manifolds and hopefully get her running again tomorrow. More updates and pictures to come!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:46 am 

["Unfortunately I'm going up to maine for an anniversary/ end of the summer party so I won't be able to make it this weekend. Perhaps the next one? "]

OK Ryan ~ we're having the next one in September. We missed you last year; no excuses this time. Bring that Z down to us or drive your Ford. Come meet us.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8761

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:49 am 

Hey, you look like you already know what you're doing with that creation! Did it ever run?

Do you think you could cast an aluminum manifold if I gave you some ideas?
Frank T

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:15 pm 

Hey, you look like you already know what you're doing with that creation! Did it ever run?

Do you think you could cast an aluminum manifold if I gave you some ideas?
Frank T

Hey Frank,
I forgot how long it had been since I updated this post!
The car ran great after all the updates and modifications. I drove from Rhode Island to Maine a couple times and even to Hartford CT and back once without any issues. My water pump went bad and I had to replace it which went really well. Then shortly after that I started having that stuttering problem I mentioned in the other thread.

She still runs I just gotta figure out whats causing the stutter and I'll be back on the road!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:36 pm 

Are both those plugs the same heat range? The one on the right is quite overheated; you're probably not getting much out of it. Check the gap on both of them and stick them back into the opposite hole. Drive for a day and compare them again.

Q: Is the white one from #6 cylinder, by any chance?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:27 am 

These two plugs were either from 4 and 5 or 5 and 6. I did switch them at the time of the photo and I confirmed that the hot cylinder caused the wet plug to turn white like the original plug.
I will check gaps when I get a chance.
All plugs are the same model of NGK plug so they should be the same heat range.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:41 am 

Then I would suspect #6 cylinder might not be getting all the coolant it needs, that far back from the water pump. It might have sediment built up back there which is preventing the coolant from circulating around the cylinder and head as much as it needs. Power-flushing your block/head might produce an eye-opening revelation. Even after all these years, you could still have casting sand clogging up the water jackets back there. My L28 was rebuilt twice and still had plenty of 'clog' left in it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:22 pm 

The bad looking spark plug was from cylinder #4. I pulled the fuel rail this afternoon and there were small chunks of rubbing clogging #4 and #5, 4 being the worst. The chunks came from when the sharp barbs of the injector were inserted into the rubber fuel line and cut a couple small pieces off the inner wall of the line.

This seems to have fixed my stuttering issue and she rips down the road like I've never felt before! New coil, wires, and plugs definitely doing their part.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:25 pm 

:D :thumbs_up:

You had a lean cylinder.
You fixed your own problem, and you bonded with your Z.
Life doesn't get much better than that. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:15 pm 

Great feeling when the issue is fixed . . . . so you should be at the car show on the 12th . . . . . 8)

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:50 pm 

Sadly the ENTIRE Month of September and part of October is booked as I have 1 or 2 major events (weddings and such) every weekend until October 10th. I'm hoping to make it to the Fall outing but it will be a haul getting over there from either Maine or RI so we'll see how that works out.

I'll make it to one of our events someday! I swear!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:25 am 

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:25 pm 

Finally got around to getting a picture of the engine all together!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:51 am 

:shock: wow. A few questions, please?

1. I guess that silver braided line leading to your (pressuriZed) injector bar is your fuel inlet line, and it comes from "somewhere below", so I assume you have an electric power-pump at the tank....so what's that large black canister where the mechanical pump would have mounted? A fuel return?

2. Because you eliminated (replaced) your original intake manifold, you relocated your power brake hose to the new intake plenum. Does that give you enough vacuum from there? Any problems with your brakes?

3. I like the way you re-routed your plug wires around the front of the head; does that give you any clearance problems?

4. That's a massive oil filter by anyone's standards! Does it simply bolt-on to replace the original twist-on can?

5. Clever that you installed an On/Off valve on your heater hose! I think I might try that! :thumbs_up:

6. WHEN will we be allowed to zee this car?

Frank

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next