Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: New member from RI
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:19 pm 

Hey Frank,
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't want to rush through answering your questions and unfortunately it took a while to find the time to write up a proper reply.

1. You are correct in that the braided line is my pressurized fuel inlet. Since my car is a 28Oz It has the stock mech. fuel pump block off plate which is hard to see in the picture. The black canister you mention may be the Vacuum Canister? I'm not sure if the 24Ozs had them. The Fuel return runs behind the engine along the firewall.

2. The intake manifold is the stock one. My car is the 1975 model-stock fuel injection manifold- NON-EGR. I've had difficulty finding images of the non-egr manifold but I think the power brake hose is in its stock location. Never had any issues.

3. No Clearance problems on the spark plug wires. I have a cable clamp attached to one of the 3 bolts on the timing chain cover which prevents the wires from getting sucked into the fan. The clamp is similar to this one:
http://www.waytekwire.com/images/items/25104FL.gif

4. The oil filter was the K&N option from my local Advance Auto. Seems to work pretty well and was simply twist-on.

5. The on/off valve on the heater hose was from the previous owner. Not sure if its a valve or just a coolant bleeding point. I never bothered to try it out!

6. I'm hoping to head to the CTZCC fall outing on October 24th. I have a friend nearby in New York and I may go visit him for my birthday the day after the outing. Fingers crossed nothing comes up and the car runs smoothly up to and following the event!

Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:46 pm 

Glad to hear your going to the outing Ryan, I am in Northern CT perhaps we could hook up and make a caravan from northeast. 8)

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:02 pm 

Got a flat tire today :cry: Went out to get lunch with a friend in the datsun and hit a piece of scaffolding laying on the side of my work when I was pulling in. put a good gash in the sidewall. Perhaps it's time to upgrade the wheels?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:07 pm 

...or buy softer scaffolding... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:11 pm 

Haven't really done anything since I put the Z in hibernation last November. But I've replaced my old automatic 98 honda civic (212,000 miles) with something a little more worthwhile to take care of. A 2014 Mazda 3!
There's been too much going on to find time to work on the Z just yet. She needs another muffler and I may put a cat so I feel better about myself while I'm at it. has anyone relocated their battery? I'm either going to have to relocate or put a better patch where the battery sits.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:41 am 

looks great ryan, mazdas are great cars. I have a CX5.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:24 pm 

The 40lb battery rests on the exact lateral Center of Gravity line in the S30 series, by design. The car is balanced 51%/49% front to rear and the battery is kept on the side opposite the driver (rhd or lhd) in an attempt to even the weight of the steering wheel steering shaft and steering gear. An occupied driver's seat messes that whole attempt up.

Several cars have done that over the decades. The first which comes to mind was the old Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite, which placed the battery dead-center on the firewall, in the perfect CoG position. The whole car's steering geometry and suspension were planned around the battery. The unknown factor was, of course, the drivers weight.

The "big" Healeys moved the battery to the trunk ('boot") area, opposite side of the driver (rhd/lhd). Having driven a lot of those cars I can tell you having the battery back there was a mistake. The rear end is very light and that big weight at the end of your fulcrum can cause some unusual Physics moments which drastically effect the car's handling at speed, especially when the rear axle is off the ground from a bump. I would hesitate to relocate a Z battery for that reason unless I was building a dedicated drag car. It's also important to keep the battery outside the passenger cabin for several safety reasons. I'm pretty sure your car would not pass inspection if the battery was anywhere inside the cabin with you.

Any S30 car except a 1969-1970 is a potential donor for your new battery box. A sawZ-all can remove the whole corner you need and let you graft it into place under your battery tray.

Last edited by Frank T on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:36 pm 

Good to know! Thank you for that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:42 pm 

I really like those mazdas, they've been on my radar for a while...keep us updated on how it does.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:42 am 

My son has a Mazda3, its now 3 years old and he loves it. It has been trouble free so far.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:01 pm 

Hey Guys,
Haven't posted any updates in a while so here's a quick one. If anyone wants to stay updated with the restoration and build they can follow my instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/rl_design_fab/

I'm in the middle of repairing the driver side rockerpanel, dogleg, and quarter panel. I'm hoping to finish up the driver side in the next month or two and I'll probably do minor body work until after next season. I haven't driven the car any significant distance in close to 2 years now so I'm itching to get back on the road.

I'm also located in MA now so my thread title should technically say " New member from MA". The car is still stored in Maine though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:18 pm 

Ryan have you mounted those headlights yet ?
If yes how do you like them ?
Were they hard to adapt to the car?

Looks like your making good progress ! ! :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:57 am 

Thanks!
I haven't had time to mount the headlights yet but I will post a review of them once I do. Can't say for sure how soon that will happen though!