Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:49 am 

Hello everybody,

About 5 weeks ago I purchased my first Datsun, a 1978 5 speed 280z. I found it for sale at a small dealership that specializes in older European Cars in Corning New York. It is in descent shape but will need quite a bit of work.

Through some research and from what I was told, the owner worked as an engineer for Corning Glass and received the car as a Christmas bonus in 1978. He put 87,000 miles on the car. Two years ago he had hip surgery and could no longer work a clutch. He purchased an automatic transmission corvette and sold this car to the small used car dealer.

The car does not appear to have ever been in an accident. The original owner spent $5,000 in 2007 on some bodywork and a re-spray (midnight blue). The color is nice, although not a stock color. There could have been a better prep job for the paint. When I went up to look at it the first time I noticed that the engine bay was black. Then I noticed the paint code sticker (638). This was at one point a Black Pearl. I suppose now it is a Blue Pearl. Either way, the car runs strong and I believe I paid a fair price.

Through reading various tech posts, I see that there are some very talented people on this site. This is my first old car which will require work. I am quite the novice but I look forward to learning. Part of the reason to purchase an older car is to teach my son patience and how to fix things himself with his hands. Its a good thing that he is only 21 months old as this will give me several years to learn patience and how to fix things myself!

Attachments:
022_large.jpg
022_large.jpg [ 121.63 KiB | Viewed 10673 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:23 am 

What a beautiful 280! Very interesting to hear that it began life as a BP; they're pretty valuable today. The Special Appearance Package included special wheels, dual metal racing side mirrors, a rear hatch 'venetian blind' and of course the lead-based Pearlescent paint (hence the name).

By the time this car first required repainting, the EPA (now DEP) had banned the use of lead-based paints for automotive applications, so your car couldn't have been re-sprayed in the original pearlescent black. You would have far more luck with that today, actually, but you'd pay an independent car artist a bundle to do it right. Also, the unique pinstripe kit (originally by 3M corporation) today sells for well over $1,000 (when you can find one). They are no longer offered by Nissan so you have to wait for someone in the BP community to have a bunch of them made. Last time I heard, they were requiring a $500 up-front deposit and the remainder upon delivery.

Our Founding Father, Ross Williams, owns a BP and has worn the crown as head of the BP club in the USA, so he would be the guy to talk to if you ever wanted to resurrect your car as a BP.

In the meantime, that car was meant to DRIVE, and you can anticipate many many years of excellent enjoyment out of your wonderful 280. They were really comfortable GT cars and the fuel injection made them quite powerful for their day ~ I've stared at the back end of a lot of them on the highway over the decades.

I'm really happy to have you among us (so WELCOME!) and hope you will make the time to drive that beauty to many of our meetings after the roadsalt has been washed off the streets. Also, don't overlook our excellent sister clubs, the NYZCC and ZCCR(ochester). We share dual-membership with many of their members, and our clubs often interact. All 3 clubs hold excellent fun events and many members from each club show up at the others' functions. Among the 3 clubs, I suspect there might be 1,000 members and cars, so if you can't have fun with that many Z nuts, you're really hard to pleaZe! :lol:

What I think is best about your story is that you intend to indoctrinate your 2-yr old son into the Z community. It's very important to the future of these cars for the younger generations to become familiar with them NOW, while some of the older owners are still around to teach them about the cars. Several of our members have youngsters, who will no doubt inherit some of our existing Zs in days to come. The more we can share with them today, the better life these cars can live in future years. For that reaZon alone, we strive to keep this website 'family clean and friendly', so owners feel comfortable including their kids and wives in our meetings and discussions.

Really glad to have you with us, Rich! Hope to Z you soon.

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:41 am 

And by the way, Rich ~ if you stumble over any mechanical issues with your Z which you don't feel confident (or equipped) to tackle single-handedly, two EXCELLENT Z sources are less than 25 miles from you.

Vinny Bedini operates a Z speed shop (Bedini Motorsports) in New Milford CT, and RDZ (Research and Development for the Datsun Z) operate a multi-bay hi-tech facility in Danbury CT.

You can see them listed on our Homepage as sponsors for the CTZCC. They are all our members, and we recommend them highly for expert work on Zs.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:55 am 

Frank,

I went to New Milford Saturday and sat with Mr. Bedini. What a gentleman. I was very impressed. He will be the "Pro" who will be looking my car over and taking care of her.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:04 pm 

Frank,

The way I figure, I have just over 14 years to have this car ready for my son's road test!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:01 pm 

Get ready, get set, enjoy the ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:42 pm 

sweet Z and welcome to the club! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:41 pm 

Welcome aboard.

1976 Porsche 912E. #163 of 2200 - SOLD (3 years owned)
2018 BMW 330i GT xdrive daily driver
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i ….it is a Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:18 am 

Rich v wrote:
Frank,

I went to New Milford Saturday and sat with Mr. Bedini. What a gentleman. I was very impressed. He will be the "Pro" who will be looking my car over and taking care of her.

Thanks!

Can't say enough about 'Mr Bedini', his passion and his expertise.
Initially,I too addressed him as 'Mr Bedini'. He would matter-of-factly look me in the eye and say 'Vinny'. A year or two later,we were at the Rochester show (highly recommended,btw) and I casually mentioned a timing issue...next thing you know,we're under the hood in the hotel parking lot!
Fast forward to last fall when 'lil red spent a week or so at Vinny's for assorted issues. I still fondly remember the 2 hour romp home and my face hurting the next day from grinning so much.

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:18 pm 

Hey, another New-Yorker! Welcome! There are a couple of us in the Poughkeepsie area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:07 pm 

Yeah, and you've all got beautiful carz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:49 pm 

Welcome Rich! I'm anxious to meet you and your beautiful Z at our upcoming 2014 events!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:50 am 

Hi Rich, I'm Rick.

I haven't got any money left. That is why they call me "Rick"
instead of "Rich." LOL I spent it all on Datsuns-- real ones,
modelones, all kinds of related publications and paraphernalia....

That is one class-looking Z you bought there, pardner!! Looking
at the picture, no one would ever guess that it needed any
refreshing or restoration work. In fact, it looks like you stumbled
upon a real gem, and in "Rust Land," no less!! We all hope you
enjoy it as much-- no, MORE!-- than you did your Z of days gone
by. I promise you, you have MANY Z-brothers and -sisters who
are going to help you do just that!-- on the Site, and in person.

And now you've gotten me starting to cry. That color is the color
my '71 was-- the car I had to sell when the zoning authorities got
on my case (in a previous town). Can you believe that those Silly
Old Boys could say I had too many cars on the premises? How I
miss that car. She was the rare blue-on-blue and went like the
proverbial bat out of Hades...

If anybody gets a lead on VIN #19851, I want to buy her back!!

Sorry about straying from the topic at hand, but you know how
reminiscences brought on by a current topic can grab hold of you....
Looking forward to meeting you and The Bruise (black and blue?).

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)