Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:06 pm 

Hey guys,
I thought I had introduced myself here back when I got my 82 280zx turbo but seems I hadn't. The past couple years I've been taking auto courses and passed 5 of the ASE exams so far. About half way through school I picked up the car from its one previous owner who only had it in California and Florida. He had partially restored it in the mid 90's and also provided a binder with nearly all records! (zero rust, woo!). The car was 100% original but pretty high mileage (179,000). My goal is to restore and give a significant bump in HP. Keeping the appearance as close to original as possible is also a goal, as well as holding on to all the original parts with no major changes that can't be undone.

I live in the Danbury area and am keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of the work I have planned for it can be completed in time for the Spring so I can bring it out to some meets... Probably not an uncommon goal for lots of us here! For now I guess since this is an introduction I will try to attach a picture of when I first got the car up to CT last year... I'll post a bunch more pics later to show all the work I've done.
Ev

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 235.59 KiB | Viewed 7303 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 238.8 KiB | Viewed 7303 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:21 pm 

Hi and welcome! I messaged you on HybridZ about your intercooler, so make sure you show that off when you add pics of your modifications! Great looking ZX!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:59 pm 

Hi Ev,

Beautiful car. Welcome to the club! I look forward to meeting you in person in the spring.

Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:45 pm 

Now that is one beautiful coupe. Welcome aboard and I hope to meet you when we start having meetings again.

RDZ (Research & Development for the Z) is in Danbury and know a lot about your ZX. If you encounter problems or projects too steep (or time-consuming) for you to handle personally, you could dial them up and discuss it with them. They are all CTZCC members so you will zee them at each of our meetings. They are also CTZCC Club Sponsors. 203.628.7725 (www.rdzmotorsports.net/)

Vinny Bedini is also in New Milford, and has been rebuilding race-winning and record-setting Z engines since the 1970s. (860)355-1829. (www.ctzcc.com/images/bedini.pdf)

Several of our members have rebuilt these great Turbo engines themselves, in their garages. You shouldn't let high mileage deter you. These engines rebuild very well. Altho I don't personally recommend it, I've heard of folks squeezing nearly 1,000hp out of them (blown and nitrous) with commensurate drops in dependability.

It will be interesting to follow your build and zee what you decide to do with it.

Frank

Last edited by Frank T on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:20 pm 

Heya! Welcome!

Sounds like we have similar goals…up the power, but try to keep a stock look!..

:twisted:

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:45 pm 

Thanks guys, I will definetely be looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing all the other Z cars... Frank, my UPS driver who I believe has a 240z told me about RDZ a while back and I live less than a mile away ironically. I've been there a couple times briefly to ask a couple questions and I also follow the facebook page, they do some really nice stuff.

When I get to the point of mapping out and getting the proper settings for the megasquirt I might need some help/tips. Also figuring out a possible transmission upgrade... Other than that I've been doing pretty well so far.

I've got a pretty good amount of photos and countless hours already... And yeah Mike, I will put up the intercooler pics too... I think it will look a lot different from those ones I posted a while back. I might be a little OCD but have been trying to get that engine bay to look like it just rolled off the assembly line.
Ev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:42 am 

Welcome to the club. Our ZX owners will be glad to have another amongst their ranks.

1976 Porsche 912E. #163 of 2200 - SOLD (3 years owned)
2018 BMW 330i GT xdrive daily driver
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i ….it is a Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:51 am 

Bejebus, I almost had a seizure, that's my favorite color combo on a ZX, and favorite year. Welcome to the club, and if you need anything........I have a very few items left in Tan. :D :wink: