Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:10 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: New member from Madison
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:57 pm 

Hey guys here's a brief intro to me and my Z. My name's Rich (Yitch if you like) and I've been a fan of the early Zs since I was about 13 years old. I was introduced to them oddly enough through a racing game where the final car to challenge you was a 240z. Instantly fell in love with the styling and performance of these cars! Well this last January after years of saving and several months of searching I found my car. She's an early '71 with some slight engine mods, upgraded brakes, and a zx 5-speed. It's been everything I had hoped this car to be!

Attachments:
File comment: The day I bought her! (don't mind my buddy in the background)
thatz3.jpg
thatz3.jpg [ 83.49 KiB | Viewed 9982 times ]
msw4.jpg
msw4.jpg [ 264.72 KiB | Viewed 9982 times ]
thatz4.jpg
thatz4.jpg [ 89.46 KiB | Viewed 9982 times ]
thatz5.jpg
thatz5.jpg [ 295.6 KiB | Viewed 9982 times ]
File comment: Her most recent look with a custom routed exhaust topped off with a magnaflow race series muffler and tip (makes an incredible note) =D
thatz.jpg
thatz.jpg [ 377.25 KiB | Viewed 9982 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:28 pm 

THAT LOOKS GREAT!!!

MINT, really. Wow. Welcome to the club!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:41 pm 

(I'd be pretty interested in playing that game you described! :lol:)

Welcome aboard, Yitch!

What a perfectly beautiful Z. I zee no rust, no dents, no dings anywhere. I'll say your car was made after Feb71 because it has the newer ventilation system (holes on the pillar instead of vents on the hatch) but still has the vertical defroster wires in the hatch glass. And you need a hatch lock. I'll look and zee if I have a spare one with a key. You'll let exhaust fumes into the cabin until you can secure that hatch properly.

I love hearing stories about people who lust after Zs their whole young lives and then eventually get one! Can I ask where you found the car? We know most of the 240s in this area and it doesn't look familiar.

Welcome to the CTZCC! We look fwd to meeting you and drooling over that car. Pop the hood for us when you get a chance and give us a picture of the engine.

Frank T

(PS ~ that 5 speed is one of the best mods you could possibly hope for on the early 240, and the shock tower brace will stiffen up the body in hard turns. You might also want a chin spoiler someday, to keep the front end from getting 'light' above 70mph). :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:10 pm 

Thanks for the comments! I picked her up in Williamson NY, just east of Rochester from a member of that areas Z club. 12 hour round trip and had to scramble to find a friend with a trailer for the day I scheduled the meetup , I had set the date before I had figured out a way to get her home.

What sold me on it were the performance mods that had already been done. There's an MSA rollbar hiding in there with the chassis braces too. Hoping to take it to some track days and autox events next driving season. The pictures are actually very forgiving to it. Bubbles, cracks, and nicks in the paint are around but its a great 10 ft car haha. Still, its in incredible shape for a car that's been in New England its entire life. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:18 am 

Well Yitch, you're going to love it here. I can see it already!

JTang (Justin) is our in house AutoX info distributer. He posted this thread about some of the 2013 events, and will post 2014 in due time I'm sure.

http://forums.ctzcc.com/viewtopic.php?t=7482

He also created a video thread:

http://forums.ctzcc.com/viewtopic.php?t=7490

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:29 am 

I love that it matches your minivan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:18 am 

The PreZident of the Z Car Club of Rochester (John T) is our member, also! :D So is Doc Robbins, owner of the very first 240Z (HLS30-00006) and Tom Brock, owner of HLS30-00008.

You're going to fit right in here and have a lot of fun with this Club. Welcome again. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:10 pm 

Thankfully that's not my minivan haha! I've got a 96 civic hatch as a daily that is an absolute bore to drive compared to the z. Even though we just got our first proper wave of snow I cant wait to bring her out of hibernation already and get a proper drive in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:30 pm 

Actung!!! :shock:

We don't drive our old Zs in the New England winters, because they boldly salt the roads here and it KILLS early Zs in a single Zeason. The salt, mixed with moisture, acts like drano on the thin Japanese metal and eats thru it like nobody's business. Everybody puts their old Zs into hibernation for winter.

You might get away with that in some other state where they don't salt the roads, but the New England roadsalt is precisely why they call this "The Rust Belt".

Please don't kill your Z!!! :(

Tell him, guyz!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:44 pm 

This is what New England roadsalt does to classic 240 carz.

Attachments:
Rusty Z.jpg
Rusty Z.jpg [ 65.46 KiB | Viewed 9948 times ]
Roadsalt Z.jpg
Roadsalt Z.jpg [ 488.61 KiB | Viewed 9954 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:18 pm 

Poor thing... Trust me I'm not planning on taking it out of its cozy little garage any time soon. I'm gonna treat this car with the respect it deserves and resist the urge to drive it. Just counting the days now. Spring cant come soon enough!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:14 pm 

We all go craZy during the winters. This website helps keep us sane.
Sort of. :?

Last year we had 44 inches of snow in one storm. We all had cabin fever and some of us couldn't even open our doors to get out of the house. My Z was in the garage, but my other cars were buried in the driveway under mountains of snow. I opened the garage door and the snow was higher than my Z. Never did the Z seem so far from the road!

Do you have any pictures of your engine bay yet?

Attachments:
File comment: Two days after the snow stopped. Sun has melted some snow so I can see some of my vehicles. No Zs were harmed during the taking of this picture.
IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0712.JPG [ 1.91 MiB | Viewed 9927 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:45 pm 

Welcome, nice Z. Frank, that orange one with a little paint would be just fine for up here. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:39 pm 

Finally got around to visiting the garage and snapping a few pictures of my engine bay. It's a little greasy and grimy at the moment (got a slight head gasket leak that's going to get tended to come spring) but I'm pleased with it overall. It'll get treated to all new hoses and such pretty soon. I also had an early Christmas present show up this weekend, new front lower control arms and tension control rods for my Z! :D

Attachments:
enginebay1.jpg
enginebay1.jpg [ 291.33 KiB | Viewed 9889 times ]
enginebay2.jpg
enginebay2.jpg [ 309.26 KiB | Viewed 9889 times ]
TTT.jpg
TTT.jpg [ 283.04 KiB | Viewed 9889 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:28 pm 

Pal, that's a LOT cleaner than some of the engine bays we live with. You're already miles ahead of some of us.

If you need S30 help with any project you don't have tools or space enough to do yrslf, I recommend contacting Vinny Bedini's speed shop in New Milford (860.355.1829). He's *the* authority on S30 cars and has been building and racing them since the 1970s. Some of his racing engines still hold class titles after a full decade, and one of his customers recently got 7 seasons of racing out of one of Vinny's engines, without a single rebuild or tear-down. He builds them for the street and does an outstanding job of restoration.

You have a custom air intake filter, an updated radiator fan, the shock tower braces of course, and you seem to be missing your under-hood trouble light. I might have a spare one someplace.

I respectfully recommend you spend $5 at your local AutoZone and buy a quick-disconnect battery cut-off switch. If you ever have an electrical ground, it could save your entire electrical system (if not your car) from going up in smoke.

Wish those lower control arms were on my Z! 8)