Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:50 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: New Member in RI
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:24 am 

Hello all, new member here. Just thought I would introduce myself and see if there were any other members located in the Rhode Island area who own older Z's. I have recently inherited a 1973 240Z and would love to connect with some local guys to talk shop, figure out where to get parts, and good local mechanics. My parents live in CT so once I get my car up and running I will most likely join some of the rides and meetings.

In the meantime I would love some advice on what I need to do to get my Z running again. As I mentioned it’s in very good shape for its age but has been sitting for the past 25 years. I'm planning on doing all the regular maintenance, replacing the brakes and lines, hoses, cleaning the fuel system and tank, all the bushing, etc. Anything specific I need to be aware of or pay particular attention to?

Thanks all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:43 am 

Hi SCR9712,

Pleasure having you here. You've come to the right place if you want to get your Z running again-guaranteed. Most of our reZident S30 "gurus" as I like to call them are buZy prepping away for Z-Con, the national Z convention being held in Nashua, New Hampshire. If you can sit tight, I promise there will be a huge buzz on the forums as our friends come back from ZCon. Until then, I'll try to steer you in the right direction.

We have a few members in RI. You can scroll to the top of the page, click "member list" and view by location (all this information is Voluntarily released by the proper user). Feel free to send messages out to fellow Z ers or just post on the forums. Paul (also in RI) has a ton of Z stuff at his place, and he knows a LOT about these carZ.

This is the best I could do for you for now. Sit tight, I promise there will be some good stuff coming your way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:59 am 

Thanks Filipe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:39 am 

Any time!

Meanwhile (so that you don't twiddle your thumbs too much), feel free to let us know your name, share some pictures of the Z, and what you're looking to turn it into?

Filipe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:02 pm 

Sure thing, sorry just getting used to the whole posting process. I just updated my user name with my actual name to make it easier. My name is Scott and I live in North Kingstown, RI. Have worked on cars my whole life and have a passion for old sports cars. the car is a 1973 with some small modifications such as headers and a three webber carb set up. It has 117K miles on it but was rebuilt at 80K. Here it is as it has sat for the last 25-30 years.

My plan it to keep it pretty much the way it is, maybe some small modifications to the suspension and engind but that's about it. I love the stock look of these cars and want to preserve it as it looked in 1973.

thanks in advacne for all the help! I look forward to meeting many of you.

Scott

Attachments:
240Z 3.jpg
240Z 3.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 11680 times ]
240Z 1.jpg
240Z 1.jpg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 11680 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:29 pm 

Not a problem Scott! We have people come into the club from a wide range of "tech savyness", so I just wanted to make sure you knew that it was possible to add images, and other files.

Glad you figured it out! :thumbs_up:

That being said, it looks like you have a "clean", quite unmolested Z on your hands. Not to mention the Datsun Hubcaps! I can't quite tell from the image, but do they have a D or Z on them?

I hope you're as excited as I am to have you hear!

Have you been able to located a service manual?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:08 pm 

Yes the car is very clean and has not been molested really in anyway. My uncle bought it brand new in 73 so I am the second owner of the car. He is very mechanical and took great care of it. The hubcaps have the Z on them. Does that mean anything? I will certainly keep them but will probably be looking for some rims at some point. That was the one upgrade my uncle never did when he bought the car.

As far as a service manual I have not been able to find one so if you know of someone who has one please let me know. Also if anyone has any suggestions on servicing the fuel system please let me know. The tank is about 1/4 full which means there is a ton of sludge. I was plannign on dropping the tank and either replacing it or cleanig out the original. Not sure how to go about that though so any advice would be appreciated.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:14 pm 

The "D" hubcaps were pretty darn rare, but I believe they only came on the very early 240Zs.

For starters, I believe there is a digital file here:

http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:09 pm 

Welcome Scott!!! How great to hear from another new RI member!
We actually have other members in Kingston who are presently at the ZCon in Nashua NH all this week. You should really try to drive up there and visit, introduce yrlsf and meet some CTZCC members. I guess we have about 5-6 active members from around your town, so you'll be getting very involved as soon as they come home. Paul Mackin and Robin Foote are your neighbors (both with early 240Zs), and there are two or three others who are within 20 minutes drive of you.

That Z looks outstanding. I am very impressed. Ask your dad if he thinks it might be frozen after sitting all this time? They do that after about 3 years. It's not hard to pull the engine down and clean it up. Trying to start it dry might spin a bearing or break a ring and ruin the engine. Also, you're 100% correct about the fuel system. You should NOT attempt to start it with fuel which is even 3 years old, let alone 30 years old. We'll talk about that together later (I'm just now back from ZCon at Nashua and haven't eaten or unpacked yet).

Really glad to have you aboard; you'll hear from many others when they all get back here. In the meantime I HIGHLY recommend driving up to Nashua's Parke Plaza hotel and meeting them all , and zeeing for yourself what a great thrill these cars are giving us nowadays !!!

Z ya soon ~

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:43 am 

Frank,

Great to hear from you. I read your posts on your Z, very cool story. The car is not frozen which was a concern. We soaked the pistons with marvels mystery oil for about a week prior to trying to turn it over. The engine turns over without any problems which is good news. I'm a bit concerned about some of the engine seals and I'll probably need folks to help me with as well as the gas tank.

The car is in reall great shape. I'll post more pictures soon of it cleaned up. I'll try and get up to NH, love to see some of the cars and meet and talk shop with folks. That is provided work doesn't get in the way.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:02 pm 

Welcome Scott!!! I am somewhat of a dual resident and have a place in Jamestown. There are two other Z owners in Jamestown: Robin Foote as Frank mentioned and Robert Olejniczak. Plus Paul Mackin and a few others in the area. So glad that you found us. There is a wealth of information on this discussion forum and lots of folks that can help with specific questions.

If you are really unsure of your Z's condition and want it checked out and serviced by a professional, check out Bedini Motorsports. Vinny Bedini is a master Z mechanic and you can find his details on the left side of our home page.

Welcome aboard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:43 pm 

http://www.ctzcc.com/images/bedini.pdf

Highly recommended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:53 pm 

Ross and Frank, thanks for the info. Once I get the car settled and cleaned up a bit more we should hook up. Love for you guys to come check it out and give me your thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:56 pm 

Here she is cleaned up a bit more. After going over it not in that bad of shape for sitting for 30 years. Very limited amounts of rust. Most of the work will be bringing the mechanicals back to life.

Attachments:
IMAG0383.jpg
IMAG0383.jpg [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 11579 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:06 pm 

Here is the side view....

Attachments:
Z Side.jpg
Z Side.jpg [ 1.64 MiB | Viewed 11576 times ]