Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:47 pm 

Hi I just got a 1971 series 1, Nov/70 build.
I'm looking forward to many hours of "quality time" here instead of doing housework for the wife. ;)
The 76 in the background is a friends.

Last edited by SurferD on Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:48 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:22 pm 

Aww yeaahh! Welcome! Please tell us more about the newest member of the family!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:05 pm 

I also posted in zcar.com

I found this car on Craigslist CT. It was listed for $2500. I made arrangements to buy it but due to overwhelming calls the seller changed his mind because he said he priced it too low. He said $3500 would take it. I offered $3300 and he agreed. I probably paid too much but it's supply/demand right? He got it from the original owner and paid him $1500 for it so he made a great profit. Anyway the seller never registered it so bacically I'm the second owner. The build date is 11/70. It has 83k but I don't know how many times it's been around. It's good structurally but does need exterior bodywork. It starts right up and runs well. I need to do some work to the brake and clutch master cylinders as they don't work. The interior is very nice and complete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:16 pm 

Well Surfer, you sure know how to make an entrance!! :D Welcome to you and to your '71 (I'm jealous. Everybody wants one of those).

You can look at the pedal rubber and decide if those are original miles. Once the clock goes around once, the brake and clutch pedals are usually worn thru at the corner(s).

If you bought a running 1971 Z for that price, you did well. The clutch/brake masters were notorious for mucking up inside and the fluid is probably all black and gooey now, right? Get rid of them and buy new ones from MSA or some other reputable company. You could rebuild them but it's a hassle and simply replacing them is far easier. Drain and flush the whole system (front & rear for brakes) and consider replacing the clutch slave for the little bit of money that would cost. Be sure you buy the correct brake master cylinder ~ they changed over the years. How are the framerails on that car?

Glad to have you aboard, and WHY isn't your buddy our member, too?

I'm looking fwd to meeting you and zeeing that Z. This is a good Club, and we like to help each other when we can. We're presently looking for someone with a lift or a trailer with an open center, where we can help one of our members drop the driveline out of a 300ZX ~ do you know of anyone?

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:12 pm 

Thanks for the welcome guys.
The car has had lots of parts replaced including both clutch and brake masters. I think the seals have gone bad because it sat since about 2007.
The rails are good. One looks new and the other has some rust along the seams. Most of the car other than the normal areas(dogleg, rear lower fender, rocker area, bumpers, etc) are in great shape.
Pedal rubber is pretty good too.
The car was ownerd by a renowned Japanese woodworker who lives in CT since new.

Haha I'll get him to join too. He's from Oxford.
The reason his car was at my house is because it hasn't run in about 4 years. I changed the clutch and did a lot of other work to get it on the road again.
It's running very strong and he's been driving it a lot.

To your request of a lift, I don't have one but i do have a 20" high platform ramp i made for repairs. I'ts strong enough for my 07 Audi S4.
Maybe you could make something similar.