Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:11 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Input from a new member
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:56 pm 

Awhile ago I picked up a 1974 Datsun 260Z. I was the original owner & owned it for about 25 years, sold it about a dozen years ago. The subsequent owner did an engine rebuild & few years later, blew the diferential & the car has been sitting ever since. I happened to see it & since I had fond memories, probably because I was 40 years younger, bought it again. Other than not running, it appears to be in pretty good shape for a forty year old vehicle. My goal is to get it running & restored to reasonable driver condition. I'm a pretty competent wrench man & believe I have necessary tools & equipment. So I'm hoping to learn from members who've been down this road, hopefully they don't say "run as fast as you can" Thanks - Harry :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:19 pm 

Welcome Harry!

People have restored and saved cars from beyond the grave here, so I doubt anyone will tell you to run away. :P

Mechanical issues are relatively easy to fix compared to body/rust--and even then, those can be fixed as well.

I don't know much about the first gen Z cars, so maybe some of our Z experts can chime in with some more input! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:22 pm 

WELCOME, Harry! It's wonderful to hear from someone else who 'lost their love' and found it again farther down life's road!!! I personally feel these cars don't forget us, and sort of "wait" for us to come around again. It's hard to explain.

The 260 was, of course, one of the more rare Z cars, only being made in the USA for a single production year. Other countries skipped the 260 altogether, or kept it for many years after we received the 280Z.

So by all means, FIX your Z! Differentials are repairable, but it might be quicker and even cheaper (and certainly less work) to just replace it with another. I have to admit, this is the first time I've ever (ever) heard of anyone blowing up a Z differential. Clutches, gearboxes, even engines (if you try hard enough), but never a pumpkin. I learn something new every day on this website.

I'm looking forward to meeting you and zeeing your 'new/old' girlfriend. Welcome to the best Z car club in the country.

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:17 am 

sounds like a very familiar story Frank..... :roll: