Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:14 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:29 pm 

Hello everyone. My name is Adam Perry and I have owned my 260Z for a couple years now. I purchased the car from Durf Hyson in Thompson, CT. A close friend of mine owned the car during his college days over 10 years ago. He sold the car to Durf where it sat in a garage in Sutton, MA until I purchased it in the middle of 2010.

I worked on the car for over 2 years in order to get it road worthy. I finally registered it April of last year and I drove it all summer.

I have a couple build threads on hybridz.org and my350z.com (i have been a forum member on the 350z.com since 2002)

hybridz.org thread
http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/88805-my-new-260z/

my350z.com thread
http://my350z.com/forum/other-vehicles/ ... oject.html

I am still waiting on my membership to this club to be approved but I thought I would introduce myself to you guys. I am looking forward for any kind of advice on Z cars. I hopefully will be able to attend future car shows. I have never been around any group of z cars before.

Here a couple pics of my car....

How it was when I purchased it.

Here it is now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:43 pm 

very sweet Z!! :evil: welcome to the club!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Adam:

Welcome! We're not an exclusive club by any means, so your membership was accepted the moment you submitted it!

Great job with restoring the Z...it looks like you've gone far beyond just getting it "road worthy".

Hopefully we'll get to meet you and your Z in person during the upcoming season. We usually have a couple of events in Middletown,CT, which is only 75 minutes or less from you (and that's assuming you strictly obey all speed restrictions, of course).

- Jim
president@ctzcc.com

Last edited by jhagani on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:56 pm 

:shock: WOW. What a spectacular Z! And a 260 no less, the least-common street Z made.

You have an early model, with the great 240 bumpers. Your car could have suffered if it had those big "park bench" safety bumpers on it instead. What siZe are those wheels, pleaZe?

Welcome aboard Adam, and we're all now looking fwd to meeting you and your Z in person. Of course, we'll all be coming up to your neighborhood this fall, for the ZCon in NH. You could plan on catching our caravan when we roll thru Mass?

I really want to zee this Z in person. Nice work!

Do you happen to know which head your engine has on it? (260s had two valve siZes).

Gawsh, that's just beautiful.

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:17 pm 

jhagani wrote:
Hey Adam:

Welcome! We not an exclusive club by any means, so your membership was accepted the moment you submitted it!

Great job with restoring the Z...it looks like you've gone far beyond just getting it "road worthy".

Hopefully we'll get to meet you and your Z in person during the upcoming season. We usually have a couple of events in Middletown,CT, which is only 75 minutes or less from you (and that's assuming you strictly obey all speed restrictions, of course).

- Jim
president@ctzcc.com

Yeah I guess I have done a few more things than just get it road worthy. I am on a tight budget so there was a long period of time that I waited because I didn't want to pay for tax, registration fees and title. I wanted to put the money in the car.

I can't wait to go to some of these events. Though I am a little embarrassed with the car because it looks a lot better in the pictures. Up close the paint is horrific and there are a few areas on the body that needs a lot of work. I mean the paint job that was done by a previous owner looks worse than a $200 Maaco job. No joke. I just wanted to get it out there on the street and drive. Hopefully down the road I will get body work done.

Frank T wrote:
:shock: WOW. What a spectacular Z! And a 260 no less, the least-common street Z made.

You have an early model, with the great 240 bumpers. Your car could have suffered if it had those big "park bench" safety bumpers on it instead. What siZe are those wheels, pleaZe?

Welcome aboard Adam, and we're all now looking fwd to meeting you and your Z in person. Of course, we'll all be coming up to your neighborhood this fall, for the ZCon in NH. You could plan on catching our caravan when we roll thru Mass?

I really want to zee this Z in person. Nice work!

Do you happen to know which head your engine has on it? (260s had two valve siZes).

Gawsh, that's just beautiful.

Frank T

Unfortunately this is a late model 260Z. A previous owner removed the park bench bumpers. I purchased the car with chrome 240Z bumpers not installed. I wanted the satin black look so I sold them on ebay and bought a set of fiberglass bumpers from a forum member on classiczcars.com.

As for the wheel and tire size that are front - 17 x 9 -13 offset 245/45-17 and rear 17 x 9.5 -19 offset 275/40-17.

I would love to join you guys to NH. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Like I said above this car is pretty rough in person. I get a lot of compliments only because there isn't many around left in the area.

I don't have a L26 anymore. What resides in there is a new L28 with triple mikunis 40mm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:43 pm 

["What resides in there is a new L28 with triple mikunis 40mm"]. 8)

Ahaaaa......a sleeper!

Don't worry about the paint. Lots of our carz are "20-footers". The closer than that you get, the more flaws you see.

There's something mystical about an old Z which is 'not yet finished'. For some odd reaZon, they seem to attract more attention than those which are completely finished off and perfectly painted. I think it has to do with what happens in the viewer's eye when he looks at a Z in progress. He can "see" what he would do to make that car his own....and if the car was perfectly finished, all those decisions have already been made, whether he likes them that way or not. So an unfinished Z "calls" to people to be creative and finish it 'their way'. With a Z that needs work, an observer can fantasiZe about how he would fix it up. It becomes "his" in his mind's eye.

Bryan Little is a well-known Z guru in the Z world, and a member here. He works on his own 1970 240 and has done ~ well ~ everything to it. Over the years, he has reworked every single system of the car up to the 90% point; engine, brakes, suspension, driveline, wheels, tires, etc. They are all exactly the way he wants them. It drives like a 220hp GoKart. Any more performance increases and the car would be more like a racer than a street machine.

He's probably owned the car for 12yrs or so, and finally, this year, he has run out of mechanical improvements to make on the car, so NOW he's painting it.

He says he invests his money in making the car first safer, then better, then prettier.

Be proud of your Z. It doesn't matter what it looks like (altho it looks pretty good from here), as long as you're driving it. Just keeping them on the road is a 'beautiful thing'.

We're proud of ya'.

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:18 am 

Welcome Adam, nice 260. At the moment, also welcome to the "20 Footer club" :D All in time we eventually will get our Z's with a nice paint job. To have a Z driving on the road is the utmost important thing. I always say, mechanical first, then interior because that's what you look at when driving, then the exterior shall follow. Or whatever order you choose, you have a Z, thats all that matters. I live in Middletown RI, and have alot of parts that I practically give away to members. :D Welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:52 am 

Welcome to the family Adam. Nice looking Z, anxious to meet you and your Z at one of our 2013 events!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:34 am 

Damn !!! Nice looking Z, looks like we have another Z from Mass to join train to our first 2013 event !! I'm in Boston so looking to get a good group together for a cruise !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:47 am 

I am really excited to get together. I just placed an order for a Ron Tyler diff mount. Hopefully that will fix the really bad clunking noise tht is happening.

What section in this forum is a good place to show you guys my build? I have lots of pictures nd I love posting them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:35 am 

GENERAL Z DISCUSSION forum, AND the best ones go in our MEMBER RIDES GALLERY, pleaZe!

(Zee? This is the best part of having new guyz join in the middle of the winter ~ we get to zee all their hard work while we're cooped up and our carz are snowbound. I swear, this Club website has kept me sane [well. semi-sane] for the past 4 winters). 8)

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:45 pm 

Adam,

Welcome to the club! I'm with Frank on this one. While I love a perfect looking Z, I'll spend a lot more time looking at "projects in process". The fact that this car sat in that garage for so long and is now being driven and appreciated is enough to excite most of us in this club.

Looking forward to meeting you and your car in person!

Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:48 am 

I love the back wheels, they look badass !!

Post subject: new member
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 pm 

Welcome Adam,
I 2nd the welcome to the 20 footer club. Your car looks great. As Frank says, mechanicals 1st so you can enjoy driving it, then worry about the body work. I'm doing the same thing.
I also have a work in progress 260z. Mine happens to be an early one.
It's been converted to a roadster with SBC power. I've just removed the
305, which ran very well. It's a low rpm motor, however, and I decided to build a 6500 rpm 355. Repainting the inside of the hood/rad. shroud, shock tower bar and engine bay has been pressure washed today. New motor should be in this week I hope.
Hope to see you in a spring run. We can trade stories.
Jack