Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: The Young Gun
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:53 am 

Hey guys and gals(if there are any out there) I'm the newest (and probably the youngest) member on this form & I just wanted to start by introducing myself; my name is Marvin Zelaya I reside in Stamford, I just recently turned 18, and I have always adored all Z's as they were my favorite cars growing up. So here's my story.. When I was a young kid I didn't have any care in the world. I would always be out adventuring in search of lost great relics (too much Indiana Jones if you ask me), In my own little carefree world where nothing could follow me into but me, myself, and I. But there was always this one object, this one exception from reality which couldn't be ignored as it demanded you give it attention, this glistening behemoth, this monster with a roar louder and fiercer than 100 dragons, here in front of me was a beast greater than anything I had ever even seen or imagined and it... It was my uncle's 1972 240z! I could still remember that car as if it was yesterday, just the sound of the fierce carbureted power, the feel of raw road beneath, and the beauty to divert your attention from the sirens of mythology. So I had grown up with most of my thoughts revolving around the beauty of that car because there was nothing else like it. When I had gotten older my uncle had shown me how to drive manual in it and at times even let me help him when the z needed maintenance or repairs, even at this point when she was at her worst before a repair she still looked and sounded damn good. Later on my uncle came into some financial trouble so he had to abruptly sell her even though he knew how much it would hurt me knowing that she was gone, but he made sure she went to a good home in Florida where he still keeps in touch with the newlywed couple that bought her, so the blow didn't hurt as much. About a month after the sale of the 240z I missed being around a Z so much that I came up with the idea to buy my own Z! The idea just made the 15 year old me so jittery with joy that I started to save up my money from wherever I could get it, hell even the coins I found laying around were saved in my quest for the legendary Z! So a year passed and finally the Z gods were looking down onto my head with joy that they had a real surprise waiting for me. It just so happens that I was casually in our school computer lab typing up a quarterly essay for a teacher about what our passion in life is and why (pretty obvious what I was writing about.) When something inside of me was starting to tell me to go on craigslist and look for a z, but I ignored the request as I was in the zone and in midst of writing a masterpiece of literature. But this urge to look for a z didn't go away, rather it had gotten stronger. So then I finally caved in and started to looking at the Z's for sale, and what will you know there was a 1980 280 in my city that runs, drives, had low mileage, was a coupe, was a manual, comes with the paperwork, and most of all was within my budget! So then happy as a school boy could be, I hurried home and called the man about the ZX and when could I go to see it and he was very friendly and honest about it telling me that it was rough around the edges but a good project nonetheless and he kept telling me that I sounded very familiar but he couldn't recognize who exactly I was and I told him that i had no idea what he was talking about. So I wait till the set up day to see the ZX came around and I went to see it in person and another crazy encounter happened the guy who happened to own the ZX was a good family friend who had bought Z's (he had an 82 280zxt, the 80 280zx, a twin turbo z32 300zx, and a 350z) used to drive them with my uncle when he had his 240z. He then told me he was selling the 80 zx because he had no space for it and told me that since he was a good friend of my dad, mom, & uncle that he'd cut the price in half and practically give me the car since he knew it was going to a good home. So I paid him $400 for the ZX got the paperwork, loaded it onto a friends trailer and she and me were on our way to my home! I couldn't sleep the whole night when we had gotten home because of the excitement of owning my first car and my first Z. Every day from then on I couldn't believe that i had been so lucky as to own my very own Z! I had started to work on restoring my Z when I had encountered something horrific.. the passenger strut tower was begining to separate from the body! It wasn't separating because of rust but because an old battery had leaked and corroded the metal to the point where it was a miracle it still kept it's place, I was honestly dumbfounded as to what I could possibly do.. here was my poor little z in pain from this dilemma and me without the funds to seek the proper treatment. Later on after some harsh thinking I had concluded that I had to sell her to someone with a more stable budget and equal passion for these Z cars, as I couldn't care for her anymore, which to me was a devastating reality. I made the ad for her and tried not cringe in the process as I was practically selling a piece of myself. After about a week give or take I had gotten many offers and suitors for her but none of them truly fit the person whom I felt she deserved until this one young man in his mid to late 20's came to look at her and I felt that she had accepted him, I then asked him what he does for a living and he told me that he works in a body shop (what a perfect fit!) So then I told him he could buy it, he paid without really questioning the price, I gave him the paperwork, and she was gone the next day. I didn't feel sad but I rather felt joy as someone else will care for her more than I ever could. I also told him to keep in touch as I will want to know the progress on the ZX and so far all has been well. Now we get onto the odd yet funny part of the story about my second and third Z's but Part 2 is to come when I get the time (probably Tuesday,) but first I must finish my senior thesis paper!

Attachments:
File comment: Me and my first car the 1980 280zx
DSCN0026.JPG
DSCN0026.JPG [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 12532 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:20 am 

:D Ahhh, teenaged dreams!!! Nothing in life ever replaces them, trust me.

Welcome, Zorro (I still love that screen name ~ "swish, swish, swish! "Z"). Very glad to have some more young blood in here. More and more young people are discovering the wonderful Siren Call of the classic Z cars. In your case, it has become a life obZession, and trust us, it never washes off. There is no known cure for Z Fever, and recovery is not expected.

We'll be waiting for your 2nd installment, which will (WILL) include photos of your present 2+2, RIGHT? :evil: Even tho I understand your present Z is for sale, I suspect you will stalk and buy yet another one, and stay with us. Many of us do that ~ we start with what we can afford, fix it, then trade up to the next level and so on, until we finally find the exact Z car we want for life.

But beware ~ you never own a Z.....it owns YOU! :lol:

Glad to have you aboard. Go find a nifty signature "Z" avatar to go with your great screen name!

Z ya soon ~

Frank T

Attachments:
File comment: Hahaha!
Z-is-for-Zorro.jpg
Z-is-for-Zorro.jpg [ 101.77 KiB | Viewed 12515 times ]
File comment: Zorro, who makes the sign of the "Z"!
Zorro Z.jpg
Zorro Z.jpg [ 54.9 KiB | Viewed 12517 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:25 pm 

Welcome Zorro! While we value each and every new member, I am always glad when we see younger members like you join.

I think you will find that we are a very friendly and helpful bunch.

Looking forward to meeting you next season.

Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm 

Welcome! Nice choice of cars :wink:

You have taken my position as youngest member of the club. Congrats. I will be 19 this weekend and currently own a z32 2+2. You picked a great car and an even better club. Nicest people around by far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:00 pm 

Yup! Sorry Patrick ~ you'll have to pass your crown over to Marvin. You're an Old Man now!

(Happy Birthday!)

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:14 pm 

Holy Smokes!

Didn't realize we have 3 in the under 20 club. Any others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:22 pm 

It's very important that you young(er) guyz start learning these carz while us older dinosaurs are still around to tell you about them. Many of us were no older that you when the Zs came out, and some of us were just old enough to own the first ones sold. Imagine being the teenaged owner of a brand-new Japanese sports coupe which could beat the pants off the Italian, English and German sportscars of it's day!

Gosh, I miss the '70s!!! :twisted:

(Maybe I just miss being young? :oops: )

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:26 pm 

Oh I realize that!

That's why I want to grab an s30 while I can!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:12 pm 

20 years old! I have food in my refrigerator older than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:33 pm 

I hope by food, you mean a good old wine... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:41 am 

Welcome. :D Good to see young folks interested in the Z's. I don't know about 20 year old food, but I've had more Z's than you are of age. So if you love Z cars, you're in the right place. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:22 am 

Did you grab the new Z yet??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:24 pm 

An update pleaZe, Marvin ~ any more progress on this?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:43 am 

Hello Marvin......calling Zorro......an update, pleaZe?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:50 pm 

I am very truley sorry to all you guys that have been oh so very patiently waiting for my update on this thread, so without further adieu here's the continuation of my great Z journey!..

So after selling the 280zx I was just a Z enthusiast minus the Z, an artist without the brush, a sculptor without the chisel, or a mechanic without the car. Later on I had gotten my bearings and decided to search for a new better Z. I had been searching endlessly for a special Z, one that was right for me and the way I am. And after all the meticulous searching I had found a beautiful 1977 280z 2+2! Now I know what you're all thinking, " Yuck, why a 2+2?" And my answer is that it takes a real enthusiast heart to love a 2+2. That and the fact that It met most of my requirements; be an s30z, be running, have a good interior (since it's the place you spend the most time when you're with the car), have relatively low mileage, and be overall in good taste. And on the bonus side I get to have my friends tag along in the car whenever I went for a drive! :D So later on I call the guy up to ask the typical stuff when buying a used Z car and we set up a time to go and look at the car. Then I went to go look at the car in person which was located in Hillside, NJ. When I arrived at the meeting place the guy was there with the car but when I pulled in the guy didn't seem to expect me to come a bit earlier than the time we planned and thus the guy didn't get to clean the carand and it was rather cluttered on the inside, but other than that the interior was in mint condition. So I gave the car a quick outside look over noticed some rust spots but didn't look too much into it as it didn't look too major. (Horrible mistake on my behalf that will later come back to hunt me.) Then I asked for him to start the car and it started right up and ran like clockwork. I then quickly took it for a test drive and it drove great, shifted smooth fine and the power felt extremely smooth and even. After that quick drive I was literally in spur of the moment love. I then talked to the the guy and ask him the backstory on the car and he told me that that he bought the car about a year ago off some young dude and he bought it because he loved the interior and the car but was selling because he decided not to keep the car anymore as his wife was complaining about it. ( I'm sure most you hitched guys know what that's like.) And so there it was being sold in front of me a beautiful 1977 280Z 2+2 with American racing rims, a beautiful mint interior, and engine that ran like clockwork, and All the stock bits functioning like they should. Yeah she had some rust spots but what northeastern Z doesn't? Well at least that's what I was thinking when I bought her. After a bit of haggling with him we settled on the price of $1160 and he handed me the keys and all the paperwork for her and I had my First S30z! So then on the ride home I was this happy happy camper who got a hold of what I thought to be gold, all gitty with excitement. Then once Hershey (the nickname I gave her) was situated at my house I just couldn't stop staring at her and sitting in her (while listening to the wangan midnight soundtrack, Voice of s30z to be particular XD) and imagining myself driving, racing, making car noises, and doing all the fun things a kid with an optimistic imagination would do. I kept her for a good while, showed her off to my friends, and drove her around with said friends (best part of a 2+2!) One night I was bored and could not sleep I decided to look for roof racks for the 280z 2+2 on google, and to my amazement in the images section I saw a very familiar 280Z 2+2?!? After commenting on the article of this blog about the Z looking very familiar I found out that this 280 Z just happened to belong to a fellow member of the Z community who happened to be Will Watts! So anyways my friends told me that they all loved her, except one who knew a bit about these old cars and the common problems associated with them, and upon examination told me that the car was terminally ill. :( he showed me all the spots on the framework that had rustwas which was causing the car chassis to be compromised and told me that the chassis was basically no more than swiss cheese. No me after acquiring this information from him at first I couldn't believe what he was saying then later on after I've personally exam in the car I felt I was heartbroken. (Rain starts to pour) This Z which I considered my baby was no good anymore. (And cue the sad music.) Later on I started to look on Craigslist for a chassis that was good I didn't care about the condition of anything else as long as the chassis was fine (as I would be working on the chassis I was looking for a perfectly clean project shell. So after a bit of virtual Z shopping I spotted a nice Green early 260z that really peaked my interest as the car shell was really clean for a Northeastern Z. I later on sent the Ad to Will to ask him for his perspective on this particular Z and as it turns out he told me that he's good friends with the owner of the car and got me connected with him. Lo and behold It was Clive B. or known on the forums as Evil C! I talked to him about the car and was astounded at the condition of the car and the background of the car (this thing hasn't seen pavement since '80! only 14k miles! And a one owner car!) After all the talk and questioning about the Z I scheduled to see the car with my brother and two other mechanic friends (as there was a car show near where Clive lives and decided to go see the Z to make the trip more worthwhile.) After the car show being broken up by the police we went to visit Clive, Will, and the 260z. When we arrived at Clive's place, him and Will were there to show us the Z and talk to us about their Z experiences which was all really fun (oh and Clive showed us his very beautiful white 260z with triple weber carbs and an L28 swap.) After all was said and done I left a down deposit on the "Hulk" 260z (name credit goes to Clive :]). Now what was left for me was to sell my 280z 2+2 to pay for the "the Hulk" which was easier said than done because of all the darn tire kickers and low ballers (damn them all to the corner from which they came :P.) But then I had gotten an offer which I liked and I agreed to it and the car was gone the next day with no tears shed (please don't sue me Johnson & Johnson!) And I was off to get the 260 a week later! After getting the 260z I assessed what needed to be done and I got right to it! I (carefully) tore the car apart and cleaned her up on day 1. Later on I started to really get into it and work on sourcing out parts and Clayton P. (Kudos to you!) Happened to help me out by giving me a lot of good parts. So now I was set to start on the car and started by pulling out the siezed motor out to swap it for the other L26 that came with the car out of Clive's white 260z. And that's where the story is up to this point. Hope you have enjoyed and I'll keep you guys updated on my progress!
-Zorro out!

Vids of my Z's
1. 280zx. Walkaround (A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoTOB9C ... ata_player
2. 280zx. Walkaround (B)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdOcYkU ... ata_player
3. 280z. Me driving
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN60e22 ... ata_player
4. 280z. Walkaround
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw5izFT ... ata_player
5. 280z. Startup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPopWbs ... ata_player
6. 260z. At Clives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9sC_Nx ... ata_player
7. 260z. Currently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDTnGj1 ... ata_player

I also have more video of my Z's ony my Channel but these are my favorites.

Attachments:
1362457784566.jpg
1362457784566.jpg [ 53.49 KiB | Viewed 12173 times ]
1362457551492.jpg
1362457551492.jpg [ 55.21 KiB | Viewed 12173 times ]
1362457561841.jpg
1362457561841.jpg [ 47.94 KiB | Viewed 12173 times ]
1362457616730.jpg
1362457616730.jpg [ 44.92 KiB | Viewed 12173 times ]
1362457750473.jpg
1362457750473.jpg [ 55.41 KiB | Viewed 12173 times ]
1362457745558.jpg
1362457745558.jpg [ 47.91 KiB | Viewed 12173 times ]
1362457731986.jpg
1362457731986.jpg [ 53.55 KiB | Viewed 12173 times ]
1362457716360.jpg
1362457716360.jpg [ 57.45 KiB | Viewed 12173 times ]
1362457498142.jpg
1362457498142.jpg [ 91.82 KiB | Viewed 12173 times ]
1362457514858.jpg
1362457514858.jpg [ 72.27 KiB | Viewed 12173 times ]

Last edited by Zorro on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.