Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:29 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:47 pm 

Hi Folks,
New CT member Joe here. I have owned my 74 – 260Z since 1983. Drove it for many years then made the fatal mistake of taking it off the road to do a full restoration. Well that never happened! While I would love to be driving up to the next meeting in a road worthy Z, it’s not in the cards. After doing a full assessment of what it’s going to take to get it back on the road I have decide to part out the car. If anyone is interested in picking up some parts locally, I am in Monroe. There are some pretty clean parts on the car including a relatively “new” set of OEM front fenders and one of those classic Bob Sharp aluminum 4bb manifold and carb setups. Please let me know and I will post some pics.
Regards,
JOE P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:02 am 

Hello Joe from Monroe! Welcome aboard!

Sorry to hear you've decided not to restore your 260 ~ they are among the rarest models of the Z car ever produced. Here in the USA we had them for only one year, as you know. Other countries kept them for many consecutive years (such as Australia) and didn't get the 280 when we did.

The 260 engine is unique because it is closer to being 'square' than the 240 or 280 were ~ meaning the bore and stroke are nearly the same. All they did to the 240 engine was increase the bore to make the 260, whereas the 280 is larger than the 240 in both bore and stroke. All things being equal, a 'square' engine usually has less rev limitations than other engines have.

Anyway, we have a fair assortment of happy 260Z owners here in the Club, so your parts will probably be snatched up pretty quickly. Yours wouldn't happen to be a 2+2 or have a 5-spd gearbox, would it? Interior color will be of interest to our other members too.

Wish you had become involved with us before the Zeason ended ~ we might have been able to talk you into keeping and restoring your rare Z!

Glad to have you among us, and looking fwd to meeting you in person (and zeeing your car) in the near future. Would love to zee some pictures of it in the meantime.

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:55 pm 

Hi Frank,

Sorry for the delayed response. I do wish I had more time and money to invest in restoring my Z. Unfortunately I got drawn into restoring an 83 CJ-7 and it sucked the life out of me. Talk about polar extremes. Jeep came out pretty nicely but its no Z. In any event my ride is a two seater with a 4 speed, dual side draft carbs, manufactured in April of 74. It's pretty torn down at this point and some parts have already sold. What's left of the interior is white. Longer term I plan on picking-up a more fully restored Z.

Regards,

joep260Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:35 pm 

Haha! A buddy of mine restored a CJ-5 while I was living next door and nursing my ailing 240Z. We were both single and sang our songs of woe in harmony abut how much our individual vehicles were costing us :lol:

If you've decided to part the 260 out and want to sell the partz here, I recommend opening a post in our Marketplace forum under cars & parts for sale, trade or free. That opens a line of discussion for people looking for those hard-to-find 260 partz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:07 pm 

Thanks!

Post subject: 260 PARTS
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:31 pm 

Hi Joe ...... Welcome
I have a 74 260 that's been made into a roadster, has an SBC 5.0 and just put in a tremec 5 spd. What parts do you have left? gas tank, visors, console cover, back up lights. Shame to see a 260 parted, but that's how it goes, one must make choices. I'm deciding on winter work at the moment, contemplating some internal engine mods to gain mpg and maybe some more hp. anyway, if you have any pics of what's left or
a list let me know please. I'll send a msg with my email
hope the CJ is all you hope for. best!
Jack Durand