Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:40 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:51 pm 

Why doesn't anyone ever use the Rover aluminum V8? It's lighter than many British 4-cylinders and capable of 250bhp easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:54 pm 

This month's issue of Hemmings' SPORTS & EXOTIC CAR has a great feature article about restoring old cars. It's written with input from several career-professional restorers who offer their sagest advice.

The 4-page article (Part 1) is too long to reproduce here, but some of their bold-type suggestions include:

1. Chose a car you want to own when you're finished with it;
2. It costs the same for a bumper-to-bumper restoration on most cars, so chose one which has the highest resale value when you're done;
3. Low production cars are more valuable than high-volume cars, and usually have lower miles and fewer modifications;
4. (UNANIMOUS VOTE): FIND A CAR WHICH IS ALL IN ONE PIECE AND ISN'T A PILE OF CORRODED STEEL;
5. Don't try to resurrect something from a field unless you have an inordinate amount of talent. Only start a project if the car is predominantly complete;
6. Know what you expect from the car before you begin; daily driver, reliable racer, show car, museum piece?
7. Be realistic about time. You're looking at a commitment of more than 500 hours for a driver, 2,000 hrs for a concours car; MOST projects take so long, they get put on the back burner until some nagging spouse makes you disappear it, at a fraction of the cost you already spent on the car;
8. TAKE YOUR TIME GETTING TO KNOW THE CAR before tearing it apart. The first tool to use is your camera. Photograph EVERYTHING before taking any of it apart. That helps you know how the car looked before you dismantled it, so you know what to expect when it's going back together;
9. Research how the car SHOULD have looked before you got it. Previous owners may have made modifications which you just don't want to duplicate. Remember, they stopped driving it and sold it for some reason;
10. TAKE GOOD CARE OF YRSLF! Dismantling a car and cleaning parts with Space Chemicals can really hurt you if you aren't very careful. Ask any restorer to see his scars ~ each one will have a story worth learning;
11. DOCUMENT EACH STEP YOU TAKE. It's easy to assume you'll remember where and how everything goes back together again. But time erases a lot of memory, and we're talking about a lot of time before the car is complete. The previous owner of my own Z had a bad accident in another car, which wiped out nearly 19yrs of restoration memory for him. I bought the car back totally gutted, because he couldn't remember where he had left off, or where any of the wires went. Another very experienced friend (who has rebuilt more Zs than I have personally driven) recently had to reverse his entire week's work because he forgot to install a single piece ~ had to take everything apart again. It CAN happen to you;
12. Make a list of "odd things" you experience while taking the car apart. If you think something might be wrong, it usually is.

Very appropriately, they used several pictures of a stripped out 240Z for this article! :lol:

Part 2 comes out in next month's issue.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:33 am 

I'm more intimidated than ever :!: :shock:

Now let's see, this looks like a hood, where is that supposed to go?
~Rick~
P.S.-- I can hardly wait until I get to the little parts. I wish I wouuld
have tagged them or put them in labeled plastic bags........

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:47 am 

Hemmings is right-on.

When doing a restoration, the impulse is to take apart everything AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. WRONG! Take your time, take before/during/after pictures and lots of them. I took over 1500 pictures of my 240Z restoration. Those pictures will be invaluable when you reassemble. This WILL be a LONG process. Accept that and TAKE YOUR TIME.

LABLE/TAG/BAG everything!!! Even parts that you will not be putting back into the car. Sharpie pens and ziplock bags work the best. Also shipping tags with metal ties and masking tape. Separate parts into plastic Rubbermaid bins (interior, engine, lights, trim, etc.).

Keep a notebook for each section of the car. Make notes even if it doesn't seem important at the time.

And finally, set a reasonable budget and be prepared to DOUBLE it at least. Most restorations are aborted due to non-realistic projection of cost. Keep a ledger of money spent. And hide it from your significant other. :wink:

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:53 am 

that's the plan with dangerous Z. i wasn't going for a full resto but i might be doing close to it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:02 pm 

Congrats on the car, just try not to pull any of that hellaflush crap with it.

1996 Subaru Legacy

1978 280Z 2/2 RIP, Never Forgotten.
VIN GHLS30-120946