Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:30 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:07 pm 
Hello everyone,

My name is Nate and I am a new member to the club and discussion board. I actually live in Kentucky. The Datsun Z Garage website brought me here. That Website has been a massive help to me for the past couple of months.

I have owned about three Z-cars through the years. When I was in high school I had a 1987 300ZX non-turbo 2+2 w/automatic, probably the heaviest Z-car I have ever driven, but it did have a great looking body. I also owned a 280Z for a while, which probably would have been better suited as a parts car because of all the rust underneath, but you couldn't tell me that....lol.

I currently have a 280ZX non-turbo coupe. I don't if it is rare, but it is a slick-roof car. Most of the 280ZX 2-seaters I have seen all have T-tops. I just wonder how much it weighs, because I think that would make it the lightest of the 280ZXs. But, I have never been able to find any information with an exact number. I bought it in '06. It has 75,000 original miles, but unfortunately it has had a lot of fuel injection problems through the years. So much so, I am currently in the process of converting it to 3-screw SUs. A lot of my friends have tried to convince me to make it a Hybrid Z, with a small block Chevy or Ford. I can see the appeal, but in my opinion, you just can't beat a refined and smooth running straight-six with an exotic exhaust note. Anyway, thanks for having me.

Here is a photo of my car

Attachments:
9218_581384269619_51810161_33946336_8032048_n.jpg
9218_581384269619_51810161_33946336_8032048_n.jpg [ 88.36 KiB | Viewed 7022 times ]

Last edited by N8_280ZX on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:15 pm 

Welcome to the family Nate! You'll find a number of knowledgeable Z experts here and also good place to look for parts for your Z.

I'm sure you already know that Byran Little of Datsun Z Garage is our Motorsports Director.

BTW, nothing wrong with 280zx's!! If you eventually think swap, go with the turbo 280zx motor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:27 pm 

Fuel injection issues are usually solved with not much more than cleaning grounds, connections, and maybe replacing a wire or sensor or two. Converting that car to carburetors can be done, but you're likely going to spend quite a bit more money than fixing the current electrical issues. It's not quite as simple as pulling the old manifold out and setting the now-defunct wiring aside, but also involves revamping the fuel system (like changing to a different, low-pressure fuel pump for example). EFI is a pretty stable set-and-forget system as well, one that constantly updates itself and adjusts tuning to match current weather conditions. Carburetors do not.

If you really want to do this, I'm not stopping you. If it's just a weekend/fun car that you enjoy fiddling with constantly, converting to carbs might be a fun, worthwhile effort. However if you're really just trying to get the car running correctly, it's going to be a lot easier and less costly to fix the system you've already got.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:01 pm 
Hey guys, thanks for replying.

Phil: Nice to meet you. I saw photos of your 280ZX in the members rides section, that is a really sweet car. I always was a fan of the two-tone blue and silver. I actually have 280ZX turbo engine (it's not complete, the turbo & turbo exhaust manifold are gone) but I have considered eventually rebuilding the P90 head and putting on my engine, eventually.

PhrongZ46: Nice to meet you as well. I'm way ahead of you man, I have been collecting parts for months (carb electric fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, SU carb related parts, header, 240Z-style thermostat housing and outlet, PCV parts) That's why the Datsun Z Garage has been such a great help.

The reason I am converting it is because, when I bought the car the first thing I did was replace the fuel injector connectors. However, through the years the other connectors to the things like the MAF or TPS have weathered to the point that cleaning them no longer works. While the fuel injector connectors are still available, the others are not. I went to local junk yards trying to find suitable replacements, but they were as bad as the ones on my car. I mean, they're almost 30 years old so it is understandable. I have heard of hardwiring, but I don't know exactly how to do that. SU parts on the other hand, you can still get them, and rather easily I might add. I was lucky enough to drive a 240Z and the stock engine with carbs ran way better than mine on its best day. The fuel injection (on my car anyway) has just become a headache, and the cost of some of the parts is just outrageous. The simplicity of carbs and getting rid of most of the vacuum lines sold me on converting a long time ago. Besides, this isn't my every day car. And, I plan on keeping all of the fuel injection parts if I ever want to go back to it. But, I appreciate the advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:01 pm 

Nate, I believe our mamber Paul Mackin will be 'deconstructing' a 280zxt next weekend for parts. He may be able / willing to grab connectors for you. Not sure which if any turbo connectors are different then the NA versions.

Here's the thread on the tear down...

http://forums.ctzcc.com/viewtopic.php?t=5977

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:50 pm 

Hi Nate ~ really glad to finally have someone from KY join us, and your ZX is drop-dead beautiful. Those wheels really set it off. What's that color called?

I sent off a Welcome letter to you, telling you some stuff about the Club which you'll want to know. You have fallen in amongst some of the greatest Z guyz and galz I've ever met. This really is a fun Club.

The ZX slick-top production figures have to be available somewhere ~ maybe some of our members would know where to look for them. And your car weight SHOULD be listed on the build plate inside the driver's door. I've actually had my 240Z weighed several times (roadside truckstops and scrap metal yards! :roll:) I found the actual weight and the build plate weight were very close (a full fuel tank different).

Bryan Little is very active in this Club. He spent the winter 'massaging' his 240Z and emerged this Spring with 4-wheel discs and triple Webers. He has already won a trophy for highest RWHP on a pre-'80 Z during our last Dyno Day. Glad to hear he influenced you to join us. We love his website. (By the way, I've driven his 240Z and he's VERY conservative about how it performs. To me it felt like a 220hp GoKart!)

If you find you need partz for your carb project, don't be bashful. List your needs in our MARKET PLACE forums. These guyz have pretty impressive storerooms full of Z partz. :wink:

Z ya!
Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:01 am 

:shock: OH! "N8"
Now I get it! (Duhhhh!) :roll:

Clever.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:57 am 

Welcome to the club!! That is a very nice 280zx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:50 am 

Welcome Nate. We're glad to have you here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:07 am 
Thanks for the welcome and all the compliments on my car guys!

Frank T: I recieved your welcome email with all the club info, it was greatly appreciated.

I am not sure of the exact color, but I know it's original. In the sun it looks like a metallic saphire, but on a cloudy day it almost has a dark blue/grey apperance. It has started to oxidize on the roof and hatch fairly badly, I just hope when I get it repaired the bodyshop can duplicate it, or at least get really close.

I wasn't sure how accurate that plate is on the driver's door. I will take it more seriously now. I've always thought those were an approximation across the entire model line (2+2, Turbo, etc.).

I will definitely be using the forums for asking tech questions and opinions...lol. I am not new to carbs, but I am new to SU carbs.