Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:40 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: new member in pa
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:56 am 

hi everybody----i'm joel happel,60---1st car was '64 triumph spitfire-then '66 gto convertible-- -ex-wife had '72 z when i met her--it was a rust bucket but fun to drive--traded in on dark green '76 2+2 til kids came along---bought '70 z (picture of car,new on lot of local dealer in fall of '70 in member rides) the 2nd one sold here from original owner in '78--very proud of my Z ---garage kept all it's life--have 80ftx45ft building i keep cars in (never colder than 40 degrees)----Z is ALL datsun--(except the empi mags)--interpart racing exhaust system and dealer a/c ----started buying every lens,chrome part, plastic,bumpers,or rubber your can find on the car after buying --original dash,radio,clock works---even bought replacement bumpers ( you never know) saved all old parts --car had 113,000 miles on it when bought--- stripped down,repainted# 919 yellow undercoated every where you can----now 116,000 ---no leaks, no smoke--engine runs great---trans rebuilt once and carbs sent away for cleanup and rebuild---love this car---sorry i can't take it with me when i leave this world---met rick & kathy morgan at car show---got me interested in joining this club------go for rides on nice days---great to be here--love the pictures etc---joel

Attachments:
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg [ 405.38 KiB | Viewed 11266 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:02 am 

Welcome Joel, very nice Z. What part of PA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:08 am 

Hi Joel! How great it feels to join another 1970 car, and FINALLY someone from Penn! When your application hit my computer right after the Carlisle event, I said to myself "this guy MUST have driven down the road and met our CTZCC members at Carlisle, and seen Lucky#13". Sure enough! :wink:

That's a beautiful 1970 car! What month was it built, please? And are you happy with the dealer air conditioner? I have come *this close* to putting A/C on my Apr/70 240Z several times.

I think the 1970 240Z was the best car Datsun ever made!

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:44 am 

Ummm, Joel? I just viewed your great photos in our MEMBER RIDES gallery (really beautiful car!) and your exhaust system caught my eye immediately. :shock:

When I bought my 1970 Z (the first time), it had dual ANSA exhaust on it, which looked just like yours. You call those INTERPART, which I'm not familiar with and will research. But I have a few questions.

1. Is this a true two-pipe system? (My ANSAs ran tiny dual straight pipes the whole length of the car, exiting thru two loud Glasspack mufflers at the rear);

2. Do you happen to know the diameter of the pipe(s)?

3. Does it sound like an angry hornet above 3500 rpm?

I've been searching for a true ANSA system since I bought my Z back the second time, but they no longer make them. I settled for the MSA Twice Pipes, but continue to search for a system similar to the old ANSAs if I can locate someone who makes them.

AND ~ is your 1970 really for sale, or is it just a 'draw' for Nissan customers? *(Oh, wait ~ that was an ORIGINAL period photo, from when the car was new! I just enlarged it and noticed all the other 1970 Datsuns on the lot!).

Thanks,
Frank

Last edited by Frank T on Sat May 28, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: car show
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:48 am 

live in chambersburg('bout 50 m down 81 from harrisburg, built in sept 70 vin #08906---missed # 13 --was back in trailer by the time we arrived on sunday--my buddy skip drove his '90 300ZX (50,000miles) REALLY nice--have been very happy the original owner did what he did---thanks guys---more stuff at" member rides"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:04 pm 

unless otherwise corrected "interpart "was datsun's racing division---true duals all the way-- at the pumpkin is the two bolt per flange double set of"cherry bombs"(as we use to call them ) the last pair have the chrome tips you see---i think each pipe is bigger than the orignal single exhaust pipe--not sure of dia without measuring---sweet sound similar to the austin-healey 3000 sound---found "new" orignal set of "mufflers" last year in my high school music directer's son's workshop (jeff lucas)---he lives 15 miles from my house(what are these odds)--never used the "mufflers"--- sat on floor in workshop for 25+ years---he's been racing Z's since1970 ---needed only the headers to the pumpkin----------that is a picture of my car WHEN it was new in 1970 on the datsun dealer before dave goodman bought it---he sold tome in 1978

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:09 pm 

OK, you've got my pulse racing. Those might be ANSAs on your Z. If you want to sell the CherryBombs, let me know. Next time you're under the car, plz mike the OD of the pipes ~ if they're about 1.75"OD they're probably ANSAs or a copy of them!

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:54 pm 

bought replacement set from jeff cause mine were burnt out and rusting thru----would no longer pass inspection --got lucky finding "mufflers"----since pictures went to classic plates--one time registration but gets yearly inspection---drive a little over 400 miles a year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:20 am 

So your down by Carlisle, lucky you. My first trip with the 240 was last year to Carlise, running my home made dual exhaust system. Man was it loud. 6-2 headers 2" to 2 cherry bombs, one on each side of the trans., then 2 1/4 " straight out with just chrome tips on it. I then later got some ANSA tips, from ANSA for $19.95 a piece and had 2 of those on the tips, one above the other just like the day. They are the retro look alikes, baffled inside, chrome tips.......that can slice some skin if you get to close. :roll: Well that was still a little loud, so now I "Y" in after the cherry boms and went a full 3" into a 3" muffler, 3" out with a baffled tip. It sounds the best it has ever IMO.

Post subject: exhaust
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:43 am 

getting Z out today---no rain out there----frank t-----appears the dia is bit over 2"each-----@5.25 cm---it's nice to be able to hear yourself think since i lucked out with the "new mufflers" wife will ride with me now----joel

Post subject: Date Of Manufacture
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:18 am 

HI Joel:
Beautiful 70 Z and nice to see you and it here - could you check the data plate on the drivers door jamb for me? With a VIN of 08906 - you should have an 08/70 Date Of Manufacture {not Sept.}.

thanks,
Carl B.

Post subject: 70 Z
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:27 am 

will send to your e-mail address--i seem to be doing something wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:26 pm 

Hi Joel:
Received the pictures - thanks! Pretty interesting...

From about 7996 to 9062 every car has a DOM of 08/70.. with two exceptions. Yours at 09/70 and one of our original owners with 8914 and a DOM of 04/70.

Within that range - I also have 8944 - through 9603 all with A/T. I wonder if they stopped production on your Z - ran a bunch of cars with A/T - then put yours back in line to finish it in 09/70.

thanks again,
Carl

Post subject: DOM
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:34 am 

carl----you have been the only one at CTZCC to notice my #/DOM -----interesting how they went about manufacturing the Z---having the datsun dearler's catalog i have found that some of the parts of my car do not agree with the parts catalog ('69-'73) --they didn't waste parts--- i am proud that everything on my Z is ALL datsun (except the empi's) ---- would love to understand when datsun assigned /stamped the DOM vs assigning the production #----one would think they would have started with the # then when completed would stamp the DOM ( which would explain my DOM if pulled off/ then completed)---but doesn't explain # 8914 (just a few past my DOM) with a 4/70 DOM-------------------joel ---p.s. could still use your help with IZCC #---or who to contact