Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:06 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: New "Distant" Member
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:16 pm 

Well, maybe not soooo distant, Greenfield, MA area. If it doesn't ring a bell, up route 91 just before you hit VT.

Anyway, sometime around last Christmas with youngest daughter on the verge of graduating college with high honors anddddddd with the encouragement of a 6 yr old grandson who lives with me I decided on some life changes and among those that I wanted something different for a ride.

Thinking back to the old Hemi Challenger Convert, Road Runners, Camaro, Shelby, Austin Healeys, Triumphs, and on and on that I used to own I realized that outside the Challenger, which I couldn't come close to owning today, the only car I wanted back was a Z. I'd had 2-1970's, a 73 and a 260. To top it off my wife had a 10th Aniv "Black Gold" on order that got canceled when we decided to get married. (Side Note: I told her a couple months ago she should have bought the Z and dumped me)

Anyway, that led to an extensive nationwide search. I had a few qualifiers, price had to make sense for the market and condition, had to be an 81 or 82 Turbo with T-top in at least "Drive & Restore" condition. I can't begin to tell you how many conversations I had with nice reasonable guys while some whacko spouse was screaming at the poor guy in the background to "Just get rid of it!!".
I really did feel sorry for some of those guys, it was pretty obvious some of them did NOT want to let go of the car.
Anyway, in early May one I'd been watching for several months made several good sized drops in his asking price so I canceled some business and went to look.
EVERYTHING worked!!!! No question she needs some work and I'll likely go through her from front to back with a picky fine tooth comb starting this fall when my "Z Garage" is finished renovation and ready to go.
In the meantime I've been enjoying squiring my grandson around in "Poppa's Cool Car" this summer. I am considering a parts car and my wife has pretty much decided she wants one of her own.

Between boats, which my buddies and I seem to collect and Z's it seems I will be busy for the forseeable future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:25 pm 

Great story! I was bit by the Z bug at a young age and 10yrs later got another one. Nothing drives like a Z. Plenty of super nice people in this club. So welcome aboard! Anything I can do to help feel free to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:58 pm 

Hi Doug! Welcome aboard and great story (and you can WRITE! :D ). I think if we put everyone's Z stories together in a single book, it would be a best seller which would touch the deepest core of every reader.

We've got a house full of great members in this Club, who do a lot for each other just to keep one more Z on the road. As you rebuild your baby, please keep us abreast of your progress and NEVER hesitate to ask questions of this crowd! We have now more than 430 members, of every conceivable experience level, in the CT Z Car Club. There are plenty of first-car novices among us as well as career Z mechanics and racers. Almost (*almost*) no matter what problem you encounter with your Z, SOMEBODY in this Club's been there and done that. Our ages range btwn teenage high school students to retirees. Some of us are on our first Z, and some have had more than 15 of them.

It's good to have another Massachusetts member join us ~ some of our coolest members are from the Bay State.

Welcome home, brother ~ we've been waiting for you to find us.

Frank T
MbrshpDir
Apr/70 240Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:27 pm 

Welcome to the botherhood Doug!! As a fellow 280zxt owner, I'm delighted that you've decided to join us. As Frank eluded to, its odd how former Z owners seem to gravitate back to Z ownership later in life, given all the choices available. It's in the blood!

I'm surprised that Frank did not

a) mention our next club function will be our August 4th meeting and BBQ at Executive Nissan in North Haven. Check out the Upcoming Events forum for details. Would make for a great ride in your new Z!

b) ask that you post some pictures of your new ride to the photo gallery. It doesn't have to be pretty to be posted and we will be able to watch your progress. What color is you 280zxt?

Post subject: Composite Answers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:20 pm 

Thanks Guys

I did a fair amount of looking around at Z Car websites. Now I fully understand most folks are focused on their cars and not a web site but this site seemed the most active and to be honest, seemed to reflect a sense of pride of ownership.

As an old Navy Bird Farmer, that kind of thing means a LOT to me.

My baby is a very nice metal flake blue and I think she's gonna stay that way. It's kind of growing on me. Wife says Blue is my color so going back to the Navy, if I add anything it will be a "touch" of gold. Maybe a Navy Gold Crest somewhere to go with my "Navy Terrorist Hunting Permit" Sticker 8)

I'm a bit of a purist so no major body mods. Even if i decide to add a decent stereo I think I'm going to hide it and use a remote.

Pics uploaded soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:46 pm 

Bring this car to our next meeting so we can zee it. On Wed/04Aug, we're having a free professionally-smoked and catered BBQ for two hours before the meeting (5-7PM) (that's 1700-1900 for those in the Fleet :wink: ), then our meeting goes from 1900-2100 unless people start falling asleep from overstuffing themselves.

Location is the EXECUTIVE NISSAN/JEEP dealership, 900 Universal Drive, North Haven CT. Should be about 90 miles from you.

Even if the car won't come, you can still show up in whatever will get you there.

And by the way, THANK YOU for setting your personal life aside to keep us safe and protect our nation.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:15 am 

Welcome Doug! I look forward to meeting you. You have found one of the friendliest Z sites on the web.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:15 am 

Welcome Doug. If your still searchin, I'd suggest the 82-83 models, fully loaded, (no digi dash) and that's about as luxury as you'll get. My favorite is the black on tan, and if I ever find one for sale, I would sell my 83 turbo, silver on black. That was my Hi-school car that someone demolished, so would be nice, but at least I have my very first car back, a 1972 240z, so it's a start. I have plenty of parts for the ZX when the time comes. I live in R.I. and my wife has relatives in NH, so we go up that way. Will be there the end of August. Her uncle has a Z I never seen, matter of fact, noone has, just sits in a garage, so I should see it this time I go up, and hopefully get us a new member. My guess is it's a 76 2+2. Mint condition.