Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:54 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:29 pm 

Small world.

Great Club. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:53 pm 

Geez! It really is a small world! 6 billion people but still! Firstly i intended to transport via Halmari but then i did the shipping through Petteri Kervinen, who lives in CA i think. Project is moving, slowly but steadily. I just towed it to bodyshop, were they remove all rust and weld new steel on place. Hopefully also change brake shoes..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:58 am 

When you finally get the car home, you might have to have it "qualified" for your country's standards. Thor Link waited 6 agoniZing weeks for his 240Z to arrive, then had to wait again for it to be changed to conform to Germany's standards.

However long it takes, relax. Use the time to learn about your car. These are wonderful/horrible machines. You will never think your car is "done" ~ there are so very many things you can do to a Z today to make it "just a little better", that you will always look at it with an eye for exploration. "What if I made this a little better?" will always be on your mind.

But DRIVING the car will simply "eat you up". There is no other automotive experience quite like driving a Z car. It's magic. It makes you love it. It captures you, and you 'belong' to that car forever.

We have grey-haired members in this Club who have owned Z cars since they were young men. Some of them have owned many Zs, others still have their first Z. Some, like me, lost their Z long ago and spent decades searching for it and bought it back, because it was 'part of them'. My Z owns me as much as I own it.

One of our members (Rick) owns four Zs. He was extremely interested in them for many years. Then all his Z friends moved away, his clubs dissolved, and Nissan stopped making Zs for 6 years. Rick sadly stored his carz away and now, 30 years later, he has found friends who love them as much as he does. It's wonderful to see him bring his old cars back out into the sunlight and clean them up again.

Carl has owned and driven and raced and studied Z cars more than most of us. He is a dedicated writer of probably the very best, most-professional, most-informative Z website anywhere on the internet (ZHome.Com).

Jimbo owns more than 22 perfectly restored classic Zs, many of them very important individual machines. His stable is breathtaking, and he can't seem to get enough of them. You can see his cars on YouTube (Jimbo at Z Mecca).

Paul and Tom and Mike and Ross and Rick and Pat and Robin and Dave and Pete and Steve and many others have each owned multiple Zs. They make them perfect, drive them for years, then hand them off to another Z lover and buy another.

This is Thor's first Z. This is your first Z. Other members have always wanted one and are searching for their first Z. Each of us has been 'bitten' by the Z bug, and we will never (never) be the same.

This Club is a very good place for people like us. We understand each other without having to explain a lot. It's good to have friends who know what we are experiencing with this fanatical obsession. We can help each other. We can laugh at recurring problems (like Fuseable Links! :lol: ) (and RUST :x) . We know how our members feel when something goes wrong with their carz. And sometimes we know how to help them fix it.

Don't be impatient. These cars are worth waiting for. They will give you a LIFETIME of excitement and memories. You may be the only Z owner in your town. And a year from now, when you have fixed many small things on your own Z, you will be able to help another new Z owner who just got his first "Z bite".

Make friends in this Club. These are the guys and gals who will help you understand your new car, and help you fix it when it needs help.
You may never meet any of us, but we are all your brothers. Sometimes we will offer valuable help; other times we will only be able to offer encouragement, praise, or sympathy when you need it most.

Sorry ~ I'm afraid you're stuck with us for life. It's not such a bad thing ~ sort of like being a member of an Addiction Support Group :lol: This is a good Club, full of really great people, who all share a common love for these carz.

We're really glad you found us.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:36 am 

Thanks Frank! That was a touching speech! I'm 90% sure that some day we'll see you guys cause we're planning to make a trip to States in someday to visit my Grandmas birthplace. Im sure Connecticut is one of the places to visit.

Luckily i dont have to change the car in anyway to fit the standards. Well except one little thing, i needed to change tail side lights from red to orange. It's now fit to drive!

I totally know what you mean by that Z-bite thing. I drove the car like 10 meters and that was great. Even greater was when this morning i drove Z to bodyshop (wich is right next to my working place) all my golleagues came outside to cheer and their eyes were like plates when they first saw it. Some even bow before it :) (that'll deserve no less)

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:32 am 

I'm sure importing an old car from the States to France will turn out an absolute bureaucratic horror at this end. France must be the most archaic and bureaucratic country in Europe, and they like to toss people from one office to another and it seems they have super talented folks planning up systems that end up having you go with a 100 different papers to an office to be told they can't file them up before they fill in another piece of paper that can be obtained from another office on the other side of the state, where they tell you you can't have that document before you have duly returned the 100 papers to the first office (where they can't take the papers until you have the other paper from the second office.)
then you hear from someone that basically none of those papers are necessary if your father knows someone in the first office. and once you have managed to fill in all the required papers they don't even look at them.

You end up calling Nissan France to get a "conforms to conformity" document, which they can't give you because they didn't even know Nissan used to be Datsun, until months later they got someone who knows how to google and you get the paper. Then you'll change the side markers, rear lights, or something like that and finally take it to the MOT. The guy there doesn't know what Datsun means and rejects it just because it feels more safe. Remember it's not Renault.. And if it was you wouldn't have it because Renault from 1974 are extinct, which is why this guy thinks the car can't meet the requirements and fails it. At the same time his colleague approves a 1981 Renault 5 that has one of the wheels hanging with just one nut, one HL missing and the other one swiveling at the end of an oxidized cable. And the guy can't hear your complaints from the noise of that Renault missing half exhaust. Vive la qualite francaise!
The visit sets you back at 90 euros and you accept it, go home and start from the beginning. Without patience you won't get nowhere in this place :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:42 am 

King, I think from the above description that you ended up in one of the
Motor Vehicle Departments in the U.S. by mistake.

But you forgot three very important pieces of information. (1) At each
of the steps you enumerated, you stand in line for 2.5 hours, having to
go to the bathroom but you can't because you would lose your place and
would have to go to the back of the line. Then when you (2) approach
the counter, you are "greeted" by a friendly snarl from a surly individual
who forgets that it is you and I who are paying his/her paycheck. The
person acts (3) like he is doing you an enormous favor because he is
accommodating you at the expense of being late for his coffee break.

It used to be even worse years ago.

All Z Best,..................................Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:56 am 

Does anyone sleep around here? :lol: Welcome to the club Reverend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:59 am 

:lol:
Not much.

We have to stay awake, in case Carl writes something. We all want to be first to read it.

Post subject: never sleep...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:46 pm 

Frank T wrote:
Not much.

We have to stay awake, in case Carl writes something. We all want to be first to read it.

Exactly, I'm one of these guys!
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:32 am 

Heres few pic from yesterday

Attachments:
File comment: D2
Kuva0103.jpg
Kuva0103.jpg [ 519.63 KiB | Viewed 6648 times ]
File comment: D
Kuva0104.jpg
Kuva0104.jpg [ 564.99 KiB | Viewed 6648 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:48 am 

Mein Gott! It looks EXACTLY like my old 1970 car did when i painted it in 1976!!!

It was originally Silver, but I painted it Metalflake Copper. It was the only Z with that color ~ completely unique. In 1977, Datsun released the new 280Z in Metalflake Copper! They were almost identical. If you parked my old 240 beside a new 280 you could see a slight shade difference in the color, but out on the road you couldn't tell if it was me or not, unless you saw the bumpers and the 1970 vents.

I had a completely unique Z for about 7 months, then Datsun stole my idea. :evil:

I love those 5-slot wheels on the 240Z. They were simply meant to be there. Nothing else looks as good, I think. I also used thin-stripe whitewall tires, ALWAYS. A lot of people didn't think whitewalls belonged on a sportscar, but they looked really good to me.

OK, I love your car.

Anybody else?

Last edited by Frank T on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:56 am 

(By the way, if you drive the car with the hood popped open like that, it goes a little faster. It lets air out from under the hood at high speed, which slows you down otherwise :wink:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:00 am 

Thanks for compliments :oops: Yea, got to keep hood open :) Yesterdays work (welding and brakes) cost me about 500$ but it'll (better) be worth it 8)

Original colour is lime green but previous owner painted it like this. You gotta pic of your old '70 Frank?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:13 am 

I have pictures of it today (blue), but very few of it when I owned it back in the day (Silver or Copper). Here are some, but this Post is about your car, so I don't want to get carried away showing mine......

Attachments:
IMGA1696.JPG
IMGA1696.JPG [ 56.36 KiB | Viewed 6637 times ]
IMGA0482.JPG
IMGA0482.JPG [ 55.81 KiB | Viewed 6637 times ]
IMGA1693.JPG
IMGA1693.JPG [ 55.89 KiB | Viewed 6637 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:30 am 

That engine looks AWESOME (and car too)! I got spare pair of SU's and i wonder how i can make them shine like those? Also i need to wash my engine, advice on the best methods are taken.

btw. what kind of effect that strut bar makes on car behaviour?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next