Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:41 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:56 am 
Well... It's come that time that I make an account.

I grew up near Vancouver, in Abbotsford, BC. I spent much of my childhood in the garage with my dad, watching and "helping" him with the 240z. It was completely taken apart, and restored with the help of a 280 parts car that kicked around the driveway for awhile.
Eventually we (family) moved to Whistler, BC. There the zcar sat for ten very cold and snowy Canadian winters.

Sidetrack: My (little) brother, now traveling Australia, recently let me know that from the first winter that he smoked marijuana, he would hotbox the Datsun with his friend. Only the drivers seat opens from the outside. He would always be the one that had to trudge through the snow and get in the drivers seat, so he could open the passenger seat for his buddy.

So it sat for ten years. It was backed-up into by the giant F-250, luckily only the fender was hurt. Though it was started and driven every summer, dad (also Tom), wanted to sell. No way it was going to anyone but me. This was July of 2009. I knew very little about cars. It was also love at first drive... across the Country.
http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/show ... hp?t=37154
To Kingston/Toronto, Ontario. What an experience. "Four days to Toronto, Five to Quebec City, A week in Quebec, and the return to Kingston... became two weeks to Kingston.

My 240 is a daily driver. I am a college/university student. On the slush/icy/salty days, I walk to school. It get's cold in Canada. I attend RMC, which is like your Westpoint/USAFA/USMA all mixed into one.

The car is a 72' 240z, L28 swap (mild cam and bore), triple webers (40 DCOE 18 on a cannon manifold), Illumina's on shortened struts, new ignition (unilite and HI-6). 5-spd.
I don't know if it's an r150, 180, or 200. I don't know if it's an LSD, and if so, what type. Pictures of my 240 on the hoist to follow.

Time to finish what was started over 15 years ago.

I left her in the more-than-capable hands of Whitehead Performance in Toronto, for some carb tuning. They called me awhile to say that the carbs were unresponsive to tuning, so they looked at the engine. Originally a $1500 job turned into just under three, as they more recently found warped pistons. So while that's going on, I ordered the new fusebox, headlight, and parking light harnesses from MSA. I've heard great things about Dave's work.
I'm also exited to try my hand at fiberglassing, as new speakers (floor mounted) are a necessity. Is it the kick, or rocker, panel that's located by the outside foot of the driver and passenger? That's where they're going. Some of you may cringe, but the sub will go in the spare tire well.

Aside from that, I guess the first thing I should look at is all the fluids [less oil]. I've never changed brake pads, let alone brake fluid, but intend on learning. I have the factory 240/60/80 Haynes manual, and should be able to figure it out. Maybe I'll find some 4X4 vented discs somewhere...

So much for a z budget of $100/mo. No wonder the wife refers to her as "The Mistress". I guess was unrealistic with 12L of full synthetic / change.

Next would be the body work, etc.

I will drive down for the All-Japan show in Rochester, hopefully the lap/training days at Watkins, and any other events closer to New York.
I may make a drive this summer to CT, who knows.

Pictures of the rear end will come when I drive the car back from Toronto and get some hoist time ($8/hr ain't bad). Thank's for making an amateur me feel welcome here, Frank.

The following are the only pictures I have before leaving Whistler.

Attachments:
File comment: To the right is the truck that gave me my fender dent. Thank's dad. I joke.

Dad lasted under three days without his old z. I made it as far as Calgary, when I called home. Mom sounded distressed. Dad had brought another home. They say once you've been bi

Dad's new 240.jpg
Dad's new 240.jpg [ 49.05 KiB | Viewed 5155 times ]
File comment: Before leaving whistler, the tent will become a painting shed.

My little brother (now touring Australia) is the one to the left. His right hand is just about on the fender dent.

checking on the 240 with luke.jpg
checking on the 240 with luke.jpg [ 66.67 KiB | Viewed 5155 times ]
File comment: Doors. You can see some of the work on the hood we were doing, as the weight of the snow in the winter had cracked the paint, and had rusted pretty good.
We got all of the rust on that hood.

door panel tommy.jpg
door panel tommy.jpg [ 50.07 KiB | Viewed 5155 times ]
File comment: Dad and I. I have the door locks, he's keeping the clamps on the new weatherstripping.
tom and tommy working in shed.jpg
tom and tommy working in shed.jpg [ 45.75 KiB | Viewed 5155 times ]
File comment: Mixing paint to paint the new door. You won't believe how toxic a painting shed get's. Kinda cool, though. Almost a perfect color match.

We only painted the drivers door and hood. Can't expect to drive across Canada with the drivers door a different colo

painting the 240 just tommy.jpg
painting the 240 just tommy.jpg [ 40.94 KiB | Viewed 5155 times ]

Last edited by fiveleaf on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:16 am 
So... were you the guys I was supposed to suggest the V8 swap to for HLS #13?

Seriously though, one more picture, of Dad's new 240 from Arizona! (Purchased in Vancouver, towed to Whistler)

Attachments:
Dad's new 240 (2).jpg
Dad's new 240 (2).jpg [ 55.63 KiB | Viewed 5153 times ]

Last edited by fiveleaf on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:25 am 

WELCOME, Tom! Very glad to have our second Canadian member here in the Club! Nice to see your Zed getting all that attention, too! :wink:

I read your great cross-country story and it brought back many memories. There's nothing like a long, lonely trip away from home to make you feel "one" with your Z.

We will look forward to meeting you this spring or summer! Many of us are traveling to Rochester this Spring for the Z Car Club of Rochester's All Japanese Car Day, and that's only a few hours from you (not counting the new Customs/Boarder Patrol delay!).

This Club is full of helpful and generous members who usually have free advice and sometimes spare parts! Don't be afraid to ask questions in here ~ we're all a brotherhood and love to help these cars improve.

Tell your dad he should consider joining us, too!

Z ya ~
Frank T
MbrshpDir/CTZCC

*(PS ~ Oh, and NO; Lucky#13 is NOT eligible for a V8! :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:07 am 

Hey, Tom, welcome aboard from "eh country!!"
Ditto to everything Frank said. #171 is going to stay original, too.

Frank and I will give you an advantage on your RMA mates by sharing
our experiences with you. Both kinds: Z Cars and War Fighting.

BTW Frank, that blue Z looks just like yours except for the portholes
and the wheel covers, eh? A rust free Z in Canada, that must be even
more rare than a '69 or '70 Z, eh? Sorry Tom, ice racing is OUT!!

You'll probably become my enemy anyway, when you find out I've
been a Red Wings fan for at least 200 years!

All Z Best,...............................Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:15 am 

:lol: Yeah Rick, but that rustless 240 came from AriZona, not from Canada!

I've seen seasons when the Redwings have trembled in fear of the Maple Leaves, but I guess those days have passed. Anyway, Tom has given his share of blood to the sport of rugby, which makes even less sense to me than American football makes to my wife. At least we wear helmets when we run headlong into each other at speed!

I'm trying to convince Tom to drive his Z down to Rochester this SUMMER to meet us at the Japanese Car shindig. He is very interested in zeeing Lucky #13 in person. Can you offer to let us take his picture sitting at the wheel if he comes down?

Frank

Last edited by Frank T on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:26 am 

Looking forward to seeing all of you at our event this SUMMER (not spring :wink: ).

The dates are JULY 9-11, don't forget!

:D

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:36 pm 

Thanks John ~ I actually put those dates on my calendar last night, so I knew it was summer. But then I began reading about Carlisle and.....DUH.

My Post has been corrected. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:05 pm 
Quote:
I'm trying to convince Tom to drive his Z down to Rochester this SUMMER to meet us at the Japanese Car shindig. He is very interested in zeeing Lucky #13 in person. Can you offer to let us take his picture sitting at the wheel if he comes down?

I don't need more convincing. Touching #13 will be enough to fill my boots, and you had me at meeting Bob Sharp...

The border shouldn't be too bad, I can ferry from Kingston--Wolfe Island, Wolfe Island -- Cape Vincent. I could swim from Wolfe Island to Cape Vincent, but your boarder patrols probably wouldn't take kindly to that, and the capacity of the ferry is 5 cars. I've walked to and around wolfe island before for ruck marches.

Anyways, that puts me 170mi from Rochester.

Last edited by fiveleaf on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:07 pm 

Hi Tom,
I love this blue one of your Dad. Very nice classic Z.
Same colour of yours Frank?

Thorsten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:46 pm 

Not exactly. His is prettier.

Mine is Mazda paint! :cry: