Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:12 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:16 pm 

WOW. What you have there, my friend, is a combination of an original ANSA system from the early 1970s, capped off by MSA "Twice Pipes" glasspacks on the end! :shock:

What a great idea, and I can only imagine how beautiful and mellow it must sound.

I spent over a year searching for ANSAs when I got my #02807 back, then gave up and bought the slightly larger MSA system. I paid dearly to have the pipes twisted properly so they emerge 'over-under' like a trap gun out the rear, like the ANSAs did. The MSA pipes normally emerge side-by-side like an old ABARTH system, but they don't quite fit the 'mouse hole' in the rear valance. Over-Under is the way to go.

Somebody done good on that one! I'd love to hear them.

ANSAs were smaller ID than any other system ~ some of them were as small as 1.5", others a standard 2", which gave them a unique sound. Those twin glasspacks beneath the seats might be original, since they are exactly where the old system placed them (thanks for this photo ~ I've been trying to describe my old system to people for nearly two years!). With the MSA 'packs added to the end, you surely have a wonderful-sounding unit.

My ANSAs were the lowest point of my undercarriage. I left them in several driveways and speedbumps over the years. The point where the manifold exhaust pipe joins the tailpipes is where mine broke most often.

THANKS for this!

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:23 pm 

By the way, John ~ back in the 1970s and 80s the world-famous private firm called SCARAB ENGINEERING opened in Tulsa, fitting Chevy V8s into 240Zs. They made a fortune for a year, then something happened and they shut down or sold out.

The 240Z with a 327 or 350 Chevy would out-perform the Cobra of the mid-'60s in every category. SCARAB outfitted the car with special insulation and braking, handling and steering, etc etc. You had to supply the car and the crate engine and they did the rest.

They were scary-fast but too costly for a commoner like myself :cry: