Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:25 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:47 am 

DON'T SKIMP ON TIRES! Your life and the lives of everyone you put into your car depend on them.

Get to know AJ (AirJockie) ~ he's our "Tire and Wheel Guru". He collects wheels and tires like the rest of us collect decals and patches. He can figure out which brand and style is best for the type of driving you intend to do and the loads you expect to carry. He's very serious about it ~ it's just his "thing".

Fuel tank might still be available from the Club Partz Car which Paul Mackin is tending. Not sure the one-year difference would make the tank compatible with yours or not, but Paul should know.

I've never sealed a tank but I'm sure several others in here have.

KEEP TRYING! DON'T QUIT! You can get this going in time for the Picnic and we don't care how it looks when you get there. Each of our carz started out rough and many still are, but we love them anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:55 am 

i don't plan on going to the outing either way. i'll be there. but i really wanna pull up in the Z. well i know the kit to seal a tank is like 60 bucks. i'd be willing to pay alittle more for an already good tank. i am going to price out some tires. i agree with that statement. tires are very important. then i just gotta atleast patch the passenger floor so my wife feels safe. can't wait to be going through the gears!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:56 am 

sorry i meant i DO plan on going either way. typo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:49 am 

well, for sealing the tank, pull it from the car, empty it, pour two bottles of rubbing alcohol in it, switsh it around, and put the left overs in a throw away cookie sheet and set in the sun to evaporate away, get my address and plan to get to my house one morning when I leave from work at 6:30am...I normally get home around 7:20, be waiting in my driveway, and I can snag some frozen, premixed aircraft tank sealer from work, but we have about an hour left to use it when I get home. It will take a day to fully cure, and your tank will last in that spot for another 10 years.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... ealant.php

Then we can discuss tires and wheels.... :wink:

Also Known As Clayton Pace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:58 am 

awesome. so let me get this straight. two bottles of rubbing alcohol, dump out remains in tank onto a throw away cookie sheet, and them evaporate away in the sun. once the car is home that will be the first thing i do and then i will contact you. thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:12 am 

drain any gas that's left over in the tank into a mower or snowblower that needs fuel.... then slosh the tank with the 2 bottles of rubbing alc...that will kill most of the fumes out so you can safely transport the tank around in a car with the windows cracked open a little.

If you can clean up the area where the hole is and prep it a little, that would also be good, but I have an air sander here, and alodine, so we should be good.

If you can positively completely flush it, then we can just weld it with my mig welder.... paint it and be done with it. We can hook up an air hose to the tanks engine feed line, and take the cap off...blow air thru it for a while and that will expel any combustible fumes, and then weld a small patch on it, and call it a day. My fees for use of the shop is a few beers.... bring more beers, and toss a hand getting Chris's car out of my garage, and you can do the floor boards here as well.

Also Known As Clayton Pace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:17 am 

if you could also help me with the floor that would be great too. and i can definitely bring some beers. i have been told that the tank has some pin holes. once i get it out ill be able to tell how many.is getting the tank out easy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:43 am 

(Gravity helps! :lol:)

Sometimes the bolts are rusted which secure the straps around the tank. A can of penetrating oil the day before you start turning wrenches always helps. Shoot it all over the bolts or nuts and let it sit overnight. Tap them with a hammer or wrench the next day to knock off excess rust. Use a box-end wrench or socket so it doesn't slip while you turn, so you don't wreck your knuckles. Put something under the tank so it doesn't fall on your face when it gets free. This is supposed to be fun and educational, not painful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:39 pm 

now what about the fuel pump connector and lines? remove those after the tank has been lowered?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:27 pm 

The tank removal is not too bad of a job. Pull battery cable first then like Frank said soak the bolts to be removed a day in advance . There is a drain bolt on the bottom of the tank so you can empty out the old gas first. Loosen the straps then you can get to the lines and it's out. Start with one project at a time . Once you get the tank clean you may not need to do the injectors . Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:44 pm 

i agree Jim. i'm only going to do what is needed right now to get it running. tank first and replace the rubber fuel line and change the fluids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:19 pm 

theZman wrote:
also forgot to mention the need for 2 rear tires. the g
uy i am buying from says they only hold air for a couple hours.

Yo Mike,
WOW! I've got to hang out w/you imaginative guyZ, the plans you outlined make me goofy with anticipation. :D

Somehow I got Student of the Year when I took up Auto Body Repair at Technical Careers Institute (TCI) under the GI Bill yearZ ago, but now I'm rustier than the carZ I would be attempting. :oops:

Got beaucoup tires surrounding the Z in the garage, some aren't bad~ what sizes do you need? And a brand if I could try to match?

All Z Best, Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:23 pm 

well i believe the car is sitting on 14 inch appliance wheels. don't know exact dimensions yet. once the car is home i can check it out. if you 2 decent ones that good for now just so i can have the car rolling atleast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:33 pm 

well the car is coming home hopefully saturday. pics will be posted. since the fall outing has been delayed i am still going to attempt the near impossible and get the car running and registered in 2 weeks. i figure this weekend i am going to try to atleast clean the car out and start getting the tank out. i figure if i get that sealed during the week and have it back in the car before the following weekend that will be good. then also during the week i'll get a rubber fuel line. my goal is to have the car running by next weekend. looks like ill be freezing my butt off to do this work but oh well it's worth it. let me say now i love all the positive energy you guys have given me. beware if i arrive in the Z a whole in the floor will probably pop rivoted temporarily so my wife doesn't have any problems being a passenger. and i got some left over dynomat so that will now come in handy. then i gotta bolt the seats down cause that's just alittle important. and i gotta see how the clutch is. so Airjockey(hope that was right) i will be taking you up on your offer to help repair my tank. beer is on it's way. and Rick i will let you know tire size asap. thanks again everyone!!! i can't wait to meet you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:04 pm 

Is there really any such thing as "spare" Dynamat??? :shock: I'll take any of it you don't use! :lol:

And don't worry about how your Z looks! Last year our member Gary Williams worked non-stop to put his Z together in time for the picnic ~ Gary drove it all the way from Massachusetts on its maiden voyage and it got him here and back OK. The paint was still wet. He had a milk crate for a passenger seat and some kind of wooden beams in the rear deck, but the engine sounded STRONG and all the lights worked. We kept calling him every 20 minutes all the way home to make sure he didn't break down along the way.

He kept telling me, "Yeah Frank, I can barely hear ya! I'm doing 90 on the interstate and the widow won't close all the way!" Stuff like that.

I think he carried every tool he owed inside the car, just in case.

This year he has a better car!