Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: another newbie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:58 pm 

hey Z lovers I'm Joe from Redding Ct...I always loved the Z, and now I finally have one..It's used, bought at the old Bob sharp motors..(now bruce bennett)..2005 grand touring roadster..I'm still teaching the wife how to drive it..(mistake?)..It's in excellant shape..I'm an electrician..But I know nothing about cars except how to pump the gas...one question I have and I figures I'd ask the pro's..Is what kind of wax should i use on the clear coat.?..And what do I use to treat the leather.?..everything is perfect on it now, and I want to keep it that way... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:14 am 

Hey Joe,
Glad to have you aboard! I use Mother's Caranuba wax but admittedly, I'm not the most proficient detailer out there. Looking forward to meeting you and your Z in person. Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:21 pm 

well if you REALLY wanted to bring out the shine, I recently used 3M rubbing compound and 3M Hand Glaze first. It may not look the best (because this is the first time I painted a car), but that's not a fault of the product. In fact I'd say I owe it to 3M for helping my make it look as good as it does . :lol:

I'm also trying out this Eagle 1 "Nanowax" that someone gave me for Christmas. It claims to use nanotechnology to make a better wax that fills scratches better.... but I'm pretty sure that its snake oil. Seems to make the car shine though...

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:14 pm 

I like Meguiar's #26, yellow wax. It doesn't last very long though. I'm shopping for a decent paste wax for next time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:54 pm 

Hi Joe ~ Welcome aboard! Glad to have another brother at the table.
It makes me really happy when people tell us they always wanted a Z car and their dream finally comes true. And NO, it's not a mistake to teach your wife to drive the Z. She'll fall in love with it too, and be more supportive (or at least more understanding) of your NEED to pamper the car. This Club is very family-oriented, because we realiZe there is no way for a married man to own, maintain and enjoy a Z car to the fullest, without spousal support and approval!

The CTZCC has over 250 members now, who have about 300 Z cars among them. This year we have joined hands with the famous Connecticut Autocross and Rally Team (CART-CT), who will help us conduct our first Club Autocross in August. Throughout the year they also hold Track Days at such exciting speedways as Watkins Glen, Pocono Raceway, New Jersey Motorsport Park and Lime Rock Park. That gives our Club members a chance to buy track time to take our Z cars out onto the racetrack and blast them around in a safe, non-competitive environment ~ something you might be interested in.

This summer we will also hold our 2nd annual Z Car show, and we will be taking photos of Club Members' cars for our first Club Calendar. I hope you will participate in those events. On weekends, our Events Director (Keith Hultmark) usually manages to arrange a one-day Fun Run to some exotic location in CT, which gives members an excuse to get together informally and warm the tires and our friendships. Finally, on the 2nd Wednesday of each month we hold our monthly meeting. This year we are moving the meetings around the state to different locations, to better serve our membership who live too far from our usual Darien location to attend on weeknights.

I figured by your screen name that you were either an electrician or a firefighter:lol: .

Please make sure you register with us to become a full member. At the top of our Homepage, press the button JOIN OUR CLUB. Fill in the brief STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL information, and we will get you a Password so you can enter some pictures of your GT Roadster in our MEMBER RIDES gallery. That way we can all enjoy it.

I trust Maguire's and clay bars, but they're a lot of work. Maguire's also makes good leather treatment. That's important in a drop-top, but be careful not to overdo it ~ you can make the seat leather slippery, which is exciting, but not much fun.

What color is the car?

Z ya soon ~
Frank T
MbrshpDir/CTZCC
Frank@CTZCC.Com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:53 pm 

Tx Frank...We're looking forward to attending as many local meetings as possible...this has been a dream car for my wife also...Since her sister bought a new 280Z many years ago..(she sold it)..you're also right about the firefighter tag...I'm also a vol ff in an all vol town..so the name fits..The car is gray, black leather interior...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:02 am 

And we salute you for your volunteer firefighting service, sir. Thank you for risking your safety for the safety of others.

At our Annual Fall Outing picnic in October, firefighters usually take charge of our grille and feed the masses. For some reason the food seems to taste better that way, the crowd calms down and everyone remains safe.

*(Zeekers, are you hearing all this? A new recruit here!):wink:

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:41 pm 

Whats up man, if you dont know much about cars, I would stay away from rubbing compound.
Clay bar the car, then polish it with a fine cut polish. I use Meguiars Professional show car glaze #7. Then use a quick spray wax. The next time you wash your car, use the yellow wax or another paste type. You will not be dissapointed. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:33 am 

I've been a loyal user of ZAINO products since my 1'st Z (Turbo) in '85. They keep improving and adding products. Check other high end car forums and search ZAINO to see what kind of responses you'll see. I have several friends with show cars who once they finally tried it, said they regret waiting so long. Their cars never took as little time to do, looked as good, nor did finish hold up as well. Wash it good, clay bar, then a few (2 or 3) coats Z-2 as directed and then finish off with Z-8 (or Z-6) and maintain soiling/spots with Z-6. The site has tons of info and tips. It is one of the few products you can actually chemically build up layers vs have the second layer remove and replace the previous... if done as directed. No white residue later and it actully goes well on plastic lenes/lights. here's where to look.
http://www.zainostore.com/

Post subject: NEWBIE / WAXING
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:40 pm 

HI! GREAT TO GREAT NEW MEMBERS. (I AM ONE MYSELF.) I AM REALLY PARTIAL TO ROADSTERS MYSELF.(I HAVE A 95 MODEL AT THE MOMENT.) I WILL NEVER BE WITHOUT AT LEAST ONE CONVERTIBLE AGAIN! MY CAR IS JET BLACK; THE ONLY WAX I HAVE FOUND THAT REMOVES SCRATCHES AND "SWIRL" MARKS WORTH A DARN IS "ZYMOL". IT'S A GERMAN WAX THAT COMES IN A BABY BLUE BOTTLE. IT GOES ON AND COMES OFF EASILY...BUT THE REAL SHINE COMES THROUGH AFTER YOU SPRAY A FINE MIST OF WATER ON AND BUFF IT THOROUGHLY WITH A SOFT CLOTH. MAGNIFICENT! SEEMS TO LAST A WHILE, TOO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:45 pm 

I ended up buying a lot of the meguiar brand products..haven't used any as of yet..Wax- Meguiars NXT generation tech wax...car wash- leather treatment..and tire coating..also a vinyl and rubber cleaner/conditioner for the dash, and other non leather area's....also some micro-fiber towels..hopefully I'm set for a while...If this wax is a bust..I'll go to the claybar...or one of the other waxes suggested here