Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:10 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:31 pm 

So, what kind of performance does all that give you? And what areas (if any) would you improve on?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:43 am 

Very nice, we just had a member join on our site with a RB swap too. Is your motor stock or little added goodies? I like the flat black look and the HREs. Hopefully I get to see this car in person this summer.

1976 Fairlady Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:58 pm 
Frank T wrote:
So, what kind of performance does all that give you? And what areas (if any) would you improve on?

Frank

most* modifications were of necessity. the car had rusty floor boards, so i replaced the floors, 1/2 firewall, battery tray/wheel well, frame rails. the engine didn't work, so i put in one that did. the wheels didn't have any traction, so i got ones that do. the fenders didn't cover the wheels, so i got ones that did. the dash was cracked and the seats torn up, ... you get the drill.

i wanted a project car to learn on, and this was it. my requirments were pretty basic. it had to be rear wheel drive. i had only ever delt with imports, so the search started to narrow down pretty fast. rx7's, old supra-celica's, or older supra's. i was actually going to look at a 240sx shell when i found this Z at an exit where i randomly got lunch that day a few hundred miles away but on the way to the SX in question, which i never saw, go figure. bought it on the spot (it's a pretty interestingly funny story)

if i were to improve on anything it would be my rust clean up. i really wanted to strip it down to a shell (not just rolling chassis) and media blast the car, using a rotisserie to fix the rust. instead due to moving challenges and time constraints (and $) this was out of the question. it's very difficult to weld upside down, doesn't look pretty either. it's more than structurally sound, i could get in a wreck and the car may desinagrate around me but i'll still be strapped to my seat, bolted to the rails, welded to the frame. it still took me over 3 months to get the car ready for an engine, i can only imagine how long it would have taken me if i had media blasted it.

at this point the car has the hp of a new vette, and 1/2 the weight. it's an inch off the ground and feels like you're driving a go-cart. turns heads everywhere, even the vette guys give me a random thumbs up now and again. i'm still breaking everything in so after a few more miles under the hood i'll report, but it skoots :D

Attachments:
zdyno1.jpg
zdyno1.jpg [ 166.24 KiB | Viewed 4691 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:14 pm 
EVILZ wrote:
Very nice, we just had a member join on our site with a RB swap too. Is your motor stock or little added goodies? I like the flat black look and the HREs. Hopefully I get to see this car in person this summer.

i see you're in NY, i plan on coming to the OCC show this weekend, if you're in the area i dont know what you were planning on sunday, but YOU SHOULD COME.

the motor internals are stock, i didnt feel the need to replace good parts. i ran a megasquirt for a while, put down 250hp to the wheels at stock boost (8#'s) with stock parts minus the fuel system. after some time through a few deals with some friends i did end up with a precision sc61 t3/t4, apexi fc standalone, and an interesting exhaust manifold. it all went downhill from there :wink: look at the engine pic above.

the paint is just primer, eventually i'm going to paint it, but the flat has grown on me as well. i'm thinking of going with a professionally done satin black (it's got a very small amount of shine to it, but still flat texture). and then maybe leave the flares glossy. not sure yet. and those wheels were an adventure, nice a shinny and black now thou

the car is currently wired to work, not to look pretty or be significatnly reliable (there are lots of inline fuses, and switches and relays all over the place). this is in part an answer to frank, but i really want a painless wiring kit car .. kit ... from summit. i did all the body wiring and engine wiring and it'd be nice (and more reliable and easier to fix) to clean it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:19 pm 

bryan wrote:
EVILZ wrote:

i see you're in NY, i plan on coming to the OCC show this weekend, if you're in the area i dont know what you were planning on sunday, but YOU SHOULD COME.

the motor internals are stock, i didnt feel the need to replace good parts. i ran a megasquirt for a while, put down 250hp to the wheels at stock boost (8#'s) with stock parts minus the fuel system. after some time through a few deals with some friends i did end up with a precision sc61 t3/t4, apexi fc standalone, and an interesting exhaust manifold. it all went downhill from there :wink: look at the engine pic above.

the car is currently wired to work, not to look pretty or be significatnly reliable (there are lots of inline fuses, and switches and relays all over the place). this is in part an answer to frank, but i really want a painless wiring kit car .. kit ... from summit. i did all the body wiring and engine wiring and it'd be nice (and more reliable and easier to fix) to clean it up.

I will be there. Trust me I know what you mean about just getting it to run right. I had my ls1 Z for over a year in primer so I can work the bugs out. I just sold the old body to a member here and got a 71 chassis painted...now to put it back together.

1976 Fairlady Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:11 am 

Wow... IF I get my wheels in this week and mount the tires, I was thinking about heading up to that OCC show with my Z... If you guys show up though I'll be embarrassed to bring mine! :lol:

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:33 am 

WRONG.

There's no such thing as embarrassment in this Club ~ only pride in slow accomplishment. Just the fact that we resurrect these old cars to ride again, or that we can afford and appreciate the new ones, gives us enough pride to show them off. Every Z car is a work in progress ~ I don't think I know anyone who considers their Z "done". Mine sure isn't.

I've seen your Z in detail, and was impressed. Yours is a very presentable daily driver, which makes the car worth more than most "show queens" which only get driven to/from car shows or events. The real beauty of these cars is being able to use them.

Be proud of your beautiful Z car ~ I'd be glad to take it off your hands any time you felt it no longer met your standards! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:48 pm 

Frank is correct!

Did you ever see my old Z? Look like hell but went like it too. I took it to every show that was around and two Z conventions....as long as you are proud of your car....DRIVE IT!

Zya there.

1976 Fairlady Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:27 pm 

You guys are right. I love my car to death, don't get me wrong, I'm just very critical of my work. I always feel like there's something I could do better. And my Z deserves nothing but the best I can give.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:05 pm 
PhrogZ46 wrote:
Wow... IF I get my wheels in this week and mount the tires, I was thinking about heading up to that OCC show with my Z... If you guys show up though I'll be embarrassed to bring mine! :lol:

you better come! i've seen pics of your car at clayton's, looks great. my car doesn't even have paint! definitely come out and we'll frolic around occ's plant or something

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:22 pm 
found my boost leak the other day at clay's. i was inspecting the intercooler piping and found a bit of a crack, but it wasn't in the aluminum piping or the welds, however.

my car is tuned to use the maf sensor in a blow thru fashion (post turbo), instead of the stock suck thru (pre turbo). the maf's have a 3" tube connection on one side and a flange on the other meant to bolt to the air filter. i was using a flange to 3" tube adapter made of hard plastic. this apparently was insufficient and i cracked it in 1/2.

below is a pic of my new welded alum one. it's the little things that get you from 5psi to 16 ... :D

... clear the runway ...

Attachments:
Image325.jpeg
Image325.jpeg [ 68.62 KiB | Viewed 4611 times ]