Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:09 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Texas Newbie
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:31 pm 

Hi y'all (that's how we greet a group of folks in this part of the world)

My name is Jim Arnett, I am located in Richardson, Texas - a 'burb of Dallas. I am the original and only owner of S/N 015320, gold/black, with a build date of 12/1970. The car was purchased in April 1971 in Dallas, so it is titled as a '71. We saw a lot of SCCA and local club events in the early 70's until I got burned out and went sailing, something we do 12 months a year in Texas (one rule: we don't race if there is ice on the foredeck!).

I parked the car in 1981 with 92K miles on the odo, it was producing a lot of oil smoke - probably valve seals and rings. Fast forward to 1997 when I pulled the car out for a good wash job and began taking it apart for a re-build. I stress re-build, not restore, because restore implies taking it back to "as delivered". That is not the plan. The effort stalled in 1999 and resumed last year following my retirement (that makes me a card-carrying old f@rt).

Right now the car is a roller with everything out or off except the dash and front/rear glass, all loose bits have been cleaned and inspected, needs identified (a very long list), and I am working on the front section, firewall and forward, for surface rust removal and seam sealing to get ready for priming. I'll post a couple of pictures in coming days.

Don't know that I'll make it up to CT anytime soon but I know you have some beautiful country up there. Looks like you also have some great cars as well!

ZCON 2015 Gold Cup - Street Modified class

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:53 pm 

Welcome to our Club Partner...

We are always happy to have folks from all over check in and join our ranks. You'll find it is a very friendly and knowledgable bunch. We've got members from all over the world. And we have lots of old f*rts, so you will fit right in.

Let us know if you ever make it up this way. We look forward to getting to know you.

1976 Porsche 912E. #163 of 2200 - SOLD (3 years owned)
2018 BMW 330i GT xdrive daily driver
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i ….it is a Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:41 pm 

Hello Jim, WELCOME to the family!

I am really impressed by anyone who buys and KEEPS an original Series-1 car. Altho it's yours and all the work you're putting into it is for your own enjoyment, I feel like thanking you for preserving another one of these beauties. I'm partial to the very early cars and your efforts will be appreciated and enjoyed by all who see the car in the years ahead.

I'm very glad you found us and happy you joined ~ the crew in here are all a little nutz but it's because we've been snowed in all winter and can't wait to get the carz outside as soon as the snow melts. I know of two members who have secretly confessed to me that they shovel their way out to the garage just to sit in their Z awhile ~ seatbelts fastened!

This Club is proud to claim Z owners of every generation. When we had our First Annual Z Car show last year we had dozens of retired owners, but there were some 20-somethings who arrived in 1970 and 1971 cars, doing the same stuff to them we did when we were that age. Makes me happy to see the next "Z Generation".

HEY EVERYBODY! SAY HOWDY TO OUR NEWEST TEXAS MEMBER, JIM!

Frank T
MbrshpDir
240Z (Apr/70)
240Z (Sep/71)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:43 pm 

Howdy Jim and welcome!! If I'm not mistaken your lucky to be situated in the same town as Courtesy Nissan, a great supplier of Z parts!

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:06 pm 

Thanks Phil, Courtesy is 5 minutes from my house. Great people to deal with.

ZCON 2015 Gold Cup - Street Modified class

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:18 pm 

Ha! I was just wondering where everybody is ~ usually we have 30 "Welcomes" by now. Then I realized this is Friday the 13th, and tomorrow is the local St. Patrick's Day Parades in every major town in CT. They're probably all out getting ready to be Irish tomorrow! :wink:

Don't count on much tomorrow, either!!! :lol:
(Maybe they'll be functional by Monday?!)

Frank