Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:08 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Hi from down under
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:58 pm 

Hi All, I'm Steve, I live in South Australia, Adelaide, where we are currently living in summer climate at about 120 degrees!!
Please send snow from the northen hemisphere!!
I currently have a Kalahari Tan 1971 240z, 2 "work in progress" 260z's, one is an early version which has the same rear end as the 240Z.
also a 2+2,"work in progress". :oops: :cry:
I bought and club raced my first Z back in 1974, those were the days of Sharp and BRE!! :D
In Australia we call the letter Z ,"ZED", not "ZEE". :shock:
back when I was "racing" I was often taunted because I drove a "24-oz", as in the measurement, a challenge to put my 24-oz up against their car soon took the fun out of their jibes :wink:
So, I look forward to future contact from everyone

Attachments:
File comment: my current 240Z
MVC-002F.JPG
MVC-002F.JPG [ 62.53 KiB | Viewed 6901 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:01 am 

Hello Steve, and WELCOME ABOARD! Really glad to hear from you and to see your Zed! Funny ~ I thought I invented the "24-ounce Datsun" joke in 1980s! Well, great minds think alike.

Buddy, we would LOVE to send you some snow ~ ALL of it! And most of us would pay for a day of Aussie heat just about now. Our temperatures have hung at freezing or below for the past couple of weeks, so heating our homes is costing a bundle of money. AND, we can't drive the Z cars!

You, my friend, are our SECOND INTERNATIONAL MEMBER!:D Most of our membership is in CT of course, but we have attracted great new-joins from 10 other states as well, and you already know Obsidian Pete was our first International addition. I'm really thrilled that our little state is home to such a wide-spread Z Club!

While you're walking about in shorts and a t-shirt there, picture us poor blokes trapped in our garages, wearing two coats and working on our Zs with shivering fingers, praying for the first day we can take the cars out!
Odd isn't it? We all want what the others have, but either extreme will kill ya!

Nice looking Zed you have Steve ~ That's almost exactly how my 240 looked when I sold it in 1986....same wheels and nearly same paint. (I missed mine so much I tracked it down and bought it back 23 yrs later!) Please add it to our MEMBER RIDES gallery and tell us some of the mechanical specs about it. (And it must be nice to be able to afford FOUR Zs!)

Hey everybody! Say hello to our newest member from Down Under!

Frank T
MbrshpDir/CTZCC
240Z HLS30-02807 (Apr/70)
Frank@CTZCC.Com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:07 am 

Hi All and thanks Frank for the welcome, I'm about to log off for a bit,its 44c in the shade at my place, thats about 110f guys :x :x :x 8)
yeah I'm gonna have a swim in my billabong!!(pool) :D 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:08 am 

Oh Yeah, its 4.30 in the afternoon
cheers all
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:20 am 

Welcome, and nice looking Z. I like those slot rims, and can't wait to get mine all polished up, of course I got them down at work where there is heat. Well sounds a little hotter there than here in Pheonix were I used to live. 100-105 was ok, but after that, sit in the shade and do nothing. Don't you have one of those under ground homes? Saw it on PBS, documentary of the whole country. Nice. We awt to have a Z event there. Who's got a boat? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:46 am 

Welcome Steve. Great to have another Aussie in the fold. Please encourage your other z-car "mates" (if that's what they call them down there) to join us as well. Great to have you as part of the club! Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:59 pm 

Hi All, swim was great, pool was a barmy 32c, thats about 80F.
The place that has the underground homes is Cooper Pedy, even they are feeling the heat when they are usually cool, about 70F I think.
We call our friends "mates" and it tends to be a term u use to say hello to someone you just meet, like G'Day Mate, howyagoin?Didyahavagoodweekend? aussie talk :wink:
found another pic of JG860, not sure if I posted so here it is anyways
steve

Attachments:
File comment: JG860
datsun Z JG8603.jpg
datsun Z JG8603.jpg [ 157.6 KiB | Viewed 6864 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:40 am 

ZARDOZ wrote:
Hi All and thanks Frank for the welcome, I'm about to log off for a bit,its 44c in the shade at my place, thats about 110f guys :x :x :x 8)
yeah I'm gonna have a swim in my billabong!!(pool) :D 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mmmmm, billabong! its -4 degrees Celsius outside right now. and it just stoped snowing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:50 pm 

yeah, the heat has come down abit now, pool yesterday was 35c, like a warm bath :)
got to 50c for three days straight, thats in the shade :cry:
air con has been working non stop for over a wekk, anyone wnat to pay my electricity bill when it comes in!! anyone? any one? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:59 pm 

I'll trade you my oil bill.....LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:07 pm 

That's a deal, Mate! I don't know what y'all pay for electricity down there, but fuel oil for heating homes up here in YankeeLand runs about $2.15/gallon USD just now.
Now our gallon is just over 4 liters and for a normal 3 bedroom house (with an attached garage :D) that runs a bit over $100 USD each week. Admittedly, I'd rather be too cold than too hot (I can always put on enough clothes to keep warm, but can't always take off enough clothes to keep cool) but even in our worst summers I don't think our A/C bill ran that high.

Tell you what ~ how about we trade places for just a week and then meet in Hawaii for a Fosters Lager and decide which of us had it worse?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:12 pm 

Frank, I am so relieved that oil prices have come down from the $4.79 / gallon my July fill up cost me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:55 am 

ZARDOZ, I just did the conversion tables ~ a week of home heating oil for us Yanks costs the rough equivalent of $154 Aussie dollars. In a normal 40-hr workweek, a blue collar American worker without a college degree should expect to take home btwn $600-800 USD after taxes, so that gives you an idea of how precious oil has become up here.

As Phil said, the cost of oil (and gasoline) skyrocketed this past summer to around $5 USD per gallon. If you drove a diesel car (or truck!) you parked it and took the bus.

And because everything is delivered by train and truck in the USA, the increased cost of diesel fuel got passed along to the customers because it cost more to deliver every item we bought at any store.

Things looked pretty bleak for a whole summer, and many Americans considered striking the Colors and moving Down Under to your land of Milk and Honey where everything is better and there's always shrimp on the barbi.

Last edited by Frank T on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:06 pm 

fuel has gone down but did reach nearly $1.70aud a litre, 4.5 litres to the gallon................. :(
shrimp, ........... we call em prawns and this is embedded somewhat to our way of life, like,
if someone is being a pain or idiot to you, you say to them, "listen, dont come the raw prawn with me ol'son ":twisted:
temps back up to 43c today, 41c tomorrow
adelaide has had 100 heat related deaths, seems to be fact that the electricty grid has soem huge flaws when it comes to who gets what, might see some heads roll over it, bloody poli'tit'ions are a right main pain in the ............... :wink: an the make boobs of themselves :x
aahh dont get me started :(
anyway will have a swim later today, my pool was 35c the other day :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:53 pm 

Well, you've got my pity, for whatever good it does ya'.

HEY ~ think about something here......there's this huge worldwide push to kill the internal combustion engine and replace all our cars with electric rechargeable battery cars. This will save the planet and kill our dependence upon foreign oil and all that, right?

At the end of the day, when everyone plugs their cars in to recharge them all at once, how will our power grids handle that kind of load?

We already get mail each summer from our electric company asking us to spread our electrical use over a wide variety of daytime hours, so we don't all drain the grid with airconditioning, clothes washers and driers, lights, TV, dishwashers, fans and so on all at once.

I can picture everyone in my town plugging their cars in at once and suddenly blackening the landscape for 10 miles around. Also, we own 3 cars ~ what kind of electricity bill will I have if I must recharge all 3 cars each night, every night, all year round?