Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:57 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:59 pm 

seems theres a bushfire not far away, lot of wind today and 40cplus temps again.
found another pic of JG860, this was my first club sprint
enjoy

Attachments:
File comment: looks black, its actually a dark blue
A datsun Z.jpg
A datsun Z.jpg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 2686 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:09 am 

Looks like you've opened the exhaust system, too ~ I can just imagine it at full song.

Which way is the wind blowing the flames? (away from you I hope!) Yikes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:06 am 

yeah Frank, I had made a side pipe for this event,single flo through muffler, thing I found out is the Z engines love a bit of back pressure in the exhaust system, after this event I always ran my standard set up, although I did have a flow through rear muffler with a 3 inch outlet,SWEEEET sound :D I never changed that setup after the "side pipe" which you can just see under the drivers side, remember we drive on the right side.
The fire was about 5 miles away, was put out quick as it was heading to surburbia.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:13 am 

that bob tail rear spoiler is the one I will be making, theres also one similar,I think its the 432Z , its very similar except it has some structual webs that are on the front face about four I think, run from the top to base,I'd also like to make the wing that goes across the top of the hatch,I've only seen a pic, back in the 70's.
It puts air pressure down the hatch and onto the rear spoiler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:37 am 

Steve, I never saw the wing you described (at the top of the hatch), but I can picture it and it makes perfect sense. Last year we had a lengthy discussion about the aerodynamics of the early Z and it is well known that most of the surface area on the hatch is a functional vacuum. So the earliest rear spoilers, which simply ran the width of the hatch itself, did nothing until they extended some little wings out each side into the slipstream to capture some air.

I can picture some sort of device at the TOP of the hatch, which would force air down the face of the hatch to give the rear spoiler something to work with. If you ever come across that picture again, we'd like to see it.

One of our members (Dave Russell) spent a career doing wind tunnel tests on various aircraft and had the chance to stick his Z car into the tunnel when time allowed. Interesting stories from him!

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:43 pm 

Hey Steve ~ are you and Pete OK with the fires down there? We're getting news footage every day from there and it's beginning to look rather serious. They're reporting more than 200 casualties already and reporting it as the worst wildfires in Australian history. :cry:

Take a moment and let us know you're still OK (if you still have internet service and electrical power!)

(PS: SAVE THE BLINKIN' ZEDS!)

Frank