Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:10 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:39 pm 

Hi There Everybody,

Very nice site and awesome car club! It took me a while to find you guys. I found CTZCC on a link from the IZCC's site. I submitted my app to join as well.

My name is Marc and I am a tech manager in Manhattan. I live and work in NYC but I went to school in CT, Wesleyan University. I also used to work in Darien. (Does anybody remember Tom-E-Toes Pizza in Darien? Best Pizza in the Tristate.)

I recently purchased a one owner '72 S30 from a couple out in California.

Here are some pics:

I am really excited about refreshing/restoring the car. At the same time I know that I have a lot of work to do. I plan to inspect the car this week and start getting my plans in order.

Thanks,
Marc

Last edited by MarcA-S30 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:23 pm 

Hey Marc! Welcome aboard! Glad you found us, 'cause we had no idea where to look for you! :lol:

What a beautiful '72 you found ~ it looks like it has A/C too. I studied the pictures many times and can't find anything wrong with the car! Where's the rust????

I don't think I've personally ever seen those wheelcovers on a 240Z before but they look kinda cool. AND ~ you have the 4-screw round top SU carbs! The very best kind ever offered for a Z car (and it's good that you don't have all the California smog controls on the car, but they might have started later in 1972 than your car was built. By 1974 they were loaded with pollution control and flat top carbs. You must have got one of the last good engines).

AND HEY! Look at who's gonna inherit that Z once you get it restored the way you want it, about the time he gets his driver's license! Consider yourself Blessed Marc ~ you got two new "babies" in rapid order! Most guys have to give up their Z when their first kid comes along (many verses to THAT sad song!) but you get to have them both! I'm trying to picture how a carseat would fit into the passenger seat of the 240.

I have a hundred questions about the car ~ how many miles, what month of '72 was it built, how did you get it here from California, etc......but that would be prying. One of our members (Zeekers) just got a 240 from California last year too, so you guys could compare notes.

It's great to have you join us and THANK YOU for bringing another S30 into the fold!

Hey everybody ~ say hello to Marc and his next-generation 240Z owner!

Z Ya Later~
Frank T
Membership Director/CTZCC
HLS30-02807 240Z (Apr/70)
(Frank@CTZCC.Com)

Last edited by Frank T on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:30 pm 

Thanks for the hearty welcome, Frank. I'm just happy to be here.

I have spent hours looking at the photos myself trying to find any signs of rust. My understanding is that overall the car has very little rust. No interior rust spots have gone through. And the exterior has small surface rust spots that are no bigger than a dime. We shall see, the car is currently being shipped here from CA, so I haven't been able to verify anything first hand. I am hoping for the best. I will share new pictures when I get to inspect the car.

The car was a daily driver for many years, it has 160K miles and those snazzy wheel covers. I will confirm the month that it was built later on this week.

Luckily my wife is into cars too...otherwise we would probably be separated by now...

Thanks again, I am already learning a ton! ;-)

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:57 am 

Stick with this Club! You can never know "everything" about these cars, but there are a lot of members in here who come very close to that.

ALSO ~ some of our members live in the NYC area, so you might have local neighbors who could help you evaluate your new Z when it gets here.

One of our active NYC members is EVIL_Z, who now owns THREE S30 cars, including an all original very early 1970 and another with a Chevy LS-1 V8 in it. He lives close enough to you to help guide you into our monthly meetings this Spring. And other members in lower NYS and NJ probably have to drive past your house to get here, so you could tag up with them and caravan in to meet us in person.

Keep us posted about the arrival of the car. In the meantime, keep teaching that kid to say, "Zeeeeeeee".:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:08 am 

Congratulations on both newborns and welcome to the club . Looks like a nice 240Z and road ready also. At least you have some time to go over the car before spring arrives . Post plenty of pictures as soon as you get her as most of us are Z car voyeurs . Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:16 am 

Welcome Marc, nice Z you got there, I'm a 72 owner myself. Those wheel covers look like Wal-mart's finest, (not bad for $20, I bought those myself before,) but some nice rims would do it more justice. (some of us here have some used ones,) Your interior looks like a little tlc and it would be great, I like the red interior. You can get alot of Z stuff at MSA, alias, Motorsports, www.zcarparts.com. (I'm actualy putin an order in today.) Well I can't wait to see your Z at the meets, mine might be done, but if not, there's always another Z to to drive. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:47 am 

Thanks Jim, Paul and Frank,

Every rose has its thorn right? The car doesn't currently start and will probably need some love on the back brakes. I will do my best to get the car running before the first meet. On the plus side the prior owner was very proud of the fact that the car has the original dash and that it is uncracked.

I took a look at one of EvilZ's cars, I will look for the others. Badass.

Jim, I am with you on the voyeurism... Here are the rest of the pics that I have from the prior owner:

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Marc[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:58 am 

He has capped the dash (installed an aftermarket cover over the original cracked dash) and upgraded the sound system to JVC. I don't know what that little toggle switch is for, sticking out at your right knee. Maybe a re-routed A/C switch or an alarm or something.

Marc, if this is your first 240Z, you lucked out. It looks to be in VERY good condition and don't sweat the minor details about the rear brakes or not starting. These are basically simple cars. Everyone in this Club has had those experiences already and they can be talked-thru.

Man, what an exciting year 2009 is gonna be for you! New kid, old car, new club! You must be dancin' like Snoopy! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:07 am 

Thanks Frank,

This is my first Z. I have had a '73 2002, '85 Benz 300 CDT, plus other cars. I am extremely excited about the car and the club. I am so happy that I have met a group of people who are as excited about the car as I am. Also, fyi, the original radio is on its way with the car!

Thanks for the feedback. I am really looking forward to meeting everybody!

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:05 pm 

Fine looking S30 there Marc, welcome to our club and look forward to seeing you and your new ride at our functions this year... Happened to think, where the heck will you store that precious Z in NYC, the city is not kind on any automobile let alone a beauty like that? .. Just curious. Tom

Attachments:
img_1553a_198.jpg
img_1553a_198.jpg [ 88.35 KiB | Viewed 14816 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:37 pm 

Marc,
Welcome! The car looks great and we all wish you the best with it. Looking forward to seeing you and your Z (without the wheel covers) at one of our Spring meetings. :) Sincerely, Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:00 am 

You noticed that to Frank. I figured I'd let you bust his bubble. :o Well, like I say,better to have a cap, then to look like crap. I'm tempted myself, but the whole cover, (less obvious.) and $80 is better than $1,500, unless someone sells me a good used one. :shock: Well Marc, I guess the first thing is to get it started. First thing is to have a fully charged battery, (13.6 v) and see if she cranks over. Then find out if you got spark and fuel. I hope you got air or we'd all be dead. Let the Z fun begin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:29 pm 

Marc very nice car! Keep us updated when you get her home. Like stated before where in NYC are you located. I am starting a new club and moving it from an email listing club to the real deal. You can email me if you have any questions and I do look forward to seeing her in person. Clive.Bogle @ gmail.com

Your car looks very very clean!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:07 pm 

Welcome Marc, very very nice car!! Thanks for introducing yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:22 am 

hey Marc,

Welcome to the club. I wish that I, myself had a nice 240z for a project car. Thats a very good buy. But i still love my 85' 300zx. best of luck with your restoration.