Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:38 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: CT, where is that?...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:37 pm 

:D I live in Putnam Valley, a beautiful drive from the CT border. I have owned my 1976 Z since 1989. I bought it from a guy that was storing it in a NYC garage after having moved from CT. The car had been serviced at Bob Sharp's during it's life in CT. I have the Factory user manual in a Bob Sharp plastic sleeve. Prior to CT the car was reported to have come from a lady in TX. I believed the story, as the car had 69,000 miles on it when I bought it in NYC in '89, the paint was clean but faded, and the dash had already been replaced. I had a dream, the night before I saw the ad in the New York Times, about buying a Silver Z. The following day I was dropping a deposit, after watching this amazing rust free example come down a freight elevator with its nose pointing at me. I daily drove it through college as a replacement to my RUSTED '72 Alfa Romeo Berlina. The Z was used night and day, winter and summer for a few years. Yes, I took it skiing to Sugarbush VT, and I put a roof rack on it, and took it windsurfing at Cape Hatteras.

I got out of college, got a real job, bought a new econo daily driver, and took off my rust-blinders, to come to terms with the rust I had allowed to happen. I had "Forum Auto Parts" in the Bronx, replace the rusted parts of the rails and small parts of the floors. "American Auto Body" in Spring Valley NY painted it and did the body work beautifully about 9 years ago. I did all the mechanical stuff myself, a few times over, since. It started as factory stock and is now not stock. In my dream, I wanted a stock like appearance, and the performance of a supercar. Road course capable was always my goal, although, it is a special blend of street and track. I am now saving some pennies for the upcoming 370Z which I plan on buying in 2010 to supplement my old but good, WRX as daily driver. Rest easy, the 76 Z will NOT leave my hands, too much blood in it. I promised the previous owner in 1989, when I handed over the $3500, that if he ever saw it again, it would be nicer than the way he handed it to me. I have held up my end of the deal so far. I can't even list all the work I have done so far...I can tell you I am more than half way done though ;-) I just don't have the time anymore with our nearly two year old boy, Nicholas soaking up most of my free time. I already have plans for his Z. Is it too early at two years old? My wife thinks so.

I attended the CTZCC Fall meet this year and I had a blast. It was great meeting lots of new Z folks and hanging out with old friends at the same time. I am good friends with new member, Clive "EvilZ", and plan on helping him build his turbo Z this Winter.

_Dave Cerutti

-

More photos here:
http://dcerutti.smugmug.com/gallery/174 ... A2m#P-1-25

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:28 pm 

Well Dave, that's one of the highest-Tech Z cars I've personally witnessed. It looks so strange without a dizzy! I can only imagine the number of advantages you must enjoy by replacing it with the new system. (I still recall fabricating a special screwdriver which would allow me to R&R my condenser in the ridiculously-tight space they left you to work with on the 1970 cars). IF I recall correctly, I saw this car at the picnic ~ I remember that nifty 3-point shock tower bar.
You've had just about every set of wheels that will fit a Z car! I like the ones you have on it now. It ain't broke ~ don't fix it no more! I think the best thing you did was changing out those bumpers. Nice work. And I'm impressed by your Dyno chart. I bet you're really happy about 4100rpm.
For those of you who think you're impressed with Dave's Forum photos, please take time to punch-up the photos in his link. It's like a stroll thru Wonderland.
Thanks for such a great Introduction Dave. Welcome aboard ~ it's gonna be a lot of fun having you in the family!

Z ya later ~
Frank T
MbrshpDir

*(PS ~ "Rust-Blinders!" That's cool! :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:46 pm 

Thanks Frank, the car has been a trip in more ways than one. That's the old dyno chart. I need to run it up to NH someday and get a new test and tune. I suspect it will be North of 320hp at the wheels. It is fun...and reliable. Although I do like the high tech stuff, I would LOVE to pick up a bone stock 240Z to cruise and show with someday...when I have a proper place to store it. I also have a soft spot for Webers in triplicate!

If you have a tight suspension on your Z and sticky tires. You MUST try this triangulated engine bay bar. What a difference from the standard strut tower bars. Worth every penny of the $199. I ordered it from...

http://www.racetep.com/nissan.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:00 am 

Hey Dave,
Thanks for introducing yourself via this forum. It was great to meet you and your car in person at our Fall Outing. The pictures you've attached are awesome. We hope to see more of you in 2009! Sincerely, Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:57 pm 

Dave,

Your Z is always an inspiration to me, thanks for sharing your story.

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:54 am 

Nice Z, and good story. About time I saw DIS in a Z car. I always wondered why people put so much work into a performance Z and keep the dissy. Expecially the V8 swaps, if they just installed DIS, then could put the engine even further back to the firewall. but all to there own, and look how neat it looks, no wires going over the valve cover, very nice job, I'm impressed.