Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:15 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: My little rat rod...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:38 am 

Howdy, where to begin...?

Well, my name is Clayton, and I'm a Z-o'holic.

I picked this little baby up on 06/14/03..just nearly 5 years ago this week for $1450 from a guy that had it sitting in a garage for 13 years....and all it had was a stuck valve and a seized front rotor.

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/v/airjockie/albuo93/

A few weeks later some soccer mom backed into it in a parking lot down in Greenich...destroying the hood and tweaking the body a tad. Insurance payed about $1500 for the damage. So it literally became a free car for me to play with.

I did some autocrossing and drifting with it, but it was a slug with the twin DGV's it had, so I swapped in a fuel injected motor and harness from a 78 280Z...and never looked back on trying to keep it era perfect or matched numbers...since then, I'm on the 3rd engine, about to swap in the 4th engine from an 82-83 turbo 280ZX motor and more wiring mazes thats part Z31 harness and a Haltech. Currently I'm playing with 40mm weber's, but those will be going to someone here, also I have a rare Hooker comp 6-3-2 header and a funky dual pipe set with 4 mini cherry bombs thats soon up for grabs....and I have a wider turbo pipe going on but I also might fab something else up if a hair itches the wrong way.

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/v/airjockie/Zrebuild/

I beat my car up, and it gets driven...most of the time I'm towed home due to me playing with it too rough...I've learned that it is not wise to run a qt low on oil while trying to stay sideways on a long sweeping bank at a speedway. After one drift event, I backed up on my driveway with the door open and forgot there was a huge oak tree next to the driveway....well...it costed me $4,000 to get rid of that tree...and my drivers door will never close as good as the passengers door.

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/v/airjockie/Z+body/

I have a stash of parts that will make anyone drool, and I even built a $15,000 shed to just keep my wheels in. And I have a collection of wheels that can match any flavor of driving I want to do with the car.

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/v/airjockie/shed/

I'm just a nosepeice away from making my car as hot as this http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k44451974

here is the rare Work's overfender flares that I somehow managed to snag from a buddy in Japan... http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/v/airjockie/Flairs/

and yes, I can read and speak Japanese, and if I can't understand something, then I'll just ask my wife, since she's also Japanese.

This year I'm thinking about doing a full restoration to the Z...a ground up build with all new parts and all the other parts I have, like a 10 point cage, the ZXT motor, Haltech, Painless wire kit, some better seats, body kit, paint, and turn it into a real rat rod on steriods...but it's a project...along with all my other projects...like rebuilding a 1881 house, a 87 CRX for mainly auto cross, I have another 260 that is also somewhat stripped down for autocross, my daily driver is also an old 1988 200SX with a KA24E swap, and I'm making payments on my wifes new 2007 Subaru Outback. Just to cover the cost of all the toys, house, gas and beer...I'm stuck working 7 days a week...and I rarely take days off. When I do take days off, it's in Japan for two weeks...finding and buying parts for my toys....hehe.

I hope to meet most of the people here, and when everyone can come up with a date, I'll toss a Z swap/BBQ meet in my back yard this summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:12 pm 

Clayton,
Welcome to the club and I personally look forward to getting to know you. If you are a Z-o'holic you are in the right place. So that I can put you on our mailing list, please register by clicking on the "join our club" link on the homepage. It is free and all information is kept strictly confidential. Also, please load pictures of your car onto our Member Rides section. Just request an ID / password from our webmaster and he will set up an account for you. Look forward to meeting you! Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:31 pm 

AIRJOCKIE!

How very glad I am to finally see your intro! Welcome!

For those of you unfamiliar with him, AirJockie has actually been a member for some time. I have met him and visited his "Stable", and I must say I am pleasantly amazed that he actually found time to sit long enough to write such an extensive Intro! This is a guy who seems to "live to work", instead of the other way 'round.

Clayton and I have had some very interesting conversations and he has graciously given me the "cook's tour" of his most-impressive garage facility (which isn't pictured here). Believe me, it's a hide-out which ANY of us would love to have in our yard. He has had to build a separate garage just to keep his overflow "toys" in!

Clayton, in your own modest manner, you keep describing your Z as a "beater", but I have witnessed the devotion which you spend on it and the great items you've installed already. Any of us would covet your car, guy!

Clay has served his country on Active Duty in far-flung regions of the globe, and continues to do so in other ways today. He also has a fascinating story about a military monument he designed and helped erect after he returned Stateside. If you ever get a long enough conversation with him, ask! (Maybe you could post a picture of it for us, Clayton?)

I was very impressed by his workshop and can recall several successful commercial car repair shops in my lifetime which were smaller! He has an enviable assortment of "spare parts" hiding in every nook and cranny (and an honest-to-goodness Pachinko machine)!

His backyard is large enough to stage a carshow on (which he has actually done in the past) and altho I sure wouldn't want to mow it, I can picture a very comfortable cook-out there for about 100 of his closest friends!

Clay is big on ideas but very short on time. A few of us members are presently trying to coordinate enough common time-off to gather at his house to help him pull his L26 and install his L28T/E.

Again, really glad to see your Intro, AirJockie! Glad to have you among us.

Z Ya!
Frank T
Membership Director
HLS30-02807

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:36 pm 

yup, I did a major part in the construction of the F-15 Static Display in DeBary FL, since I was the only F-15 guy in the ERAU Veterans Club.

an old webpage my wife made me many years ago.

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Station/7188/index.html

finished product...

hehe...and ERAU still has me on their website... :lol:

http://www.erau.edu/db/degrees/b-aerosystemsmaint.html

(tall blond kid)

And I'm still helping the troops...I work at Sikorsky Aircraft as a service mech, which means I do everything from fuel calibrations, to flight testing...(but I don't fly, since I'm on 3rd shift) building everything from BlackHawks, Seahawks, and the commercial aircraft like the S-76's and S-92's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:55 pm 

Awww, Man.....how cool is that? HIS wife makes him WEBSITES!

I feel lucky if MY wife makes me macaroni!

:cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:33 pm 

Good stuff!!!

Welcome aboard!!!

Post subject: Welcome airjockie,
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:49 pm 

(red is my favorite color!) see you soon.