Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:40 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: new member
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:42 am 

I'm a new member and located in New Milford, CT. My wife and I have owned several 280Z street cars over the years but our current and recently purchased 77 280Z is a vintage race car. We've recently returned from our first race with the Z at VIR (Virginia Int'l Raceway) and although no other Z cars showed up this year we had a ball swapping spots with the V8 Mustangs, Sunbeam Tiger and a couple Porsche 911s. The car ran and drove fantastic. This is my first Z race car which sure is different than the vintage V8 IMSA GT and SCCA A/Sedan Mustangs I've owned and raced over the last years.

For those of you that attend the Labor Day Lime Rock races look for us there in 2009.

Steve

Attachments:
VIR 08 Datsun 1.jpg
VIR 08 Datsun 1.jpg [ 52.93 KiB | Viewed 5317 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:25 am 

Steve,
Glad to have you aboard and welcome to our club. Love the photo of your vintage race car! Please register with the club so that we can get you on our mailing list. It's free and simple - just click on the "join our club" link on the left side of the home page at www.ctzcc.com. All information is kept strictly confidential. Look forward to meeting you in person. Sicnerely, Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:25 am 

Welcome aboard Steve (and Mrs Steve) and yes, you can rest assured that we will be watching your progress this season and next, now that you're one of us. I'm confident that member Bob Sharp will have a few things to say and ask, but for us mere mortals ~ can you give us a few specs on the car?

If there's anything any of us can do for you please ask. Again, welcome and we're looking fwd to meeting you. Check our schedule for all upcoming events and make sure you enter both your cars in our new Car of the Month competition.

Z Ya Later!
Frank T
HLS30-02807 04/70
Mbrshp Director
Raffle cZar
Volunteer Guy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:42 am 

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm told this Z was built and raced by Jay Hughes from upstate NY but I haven't yet spoke to him about it's early history. The engine was built by Rebello and made 322 hp at 7,600 RPM on the dyno. Intake manifold is Cannon with Mikuni carbs, not sure exactly what this engine has internally. Trans is a stock 5spd, Tilton 2-disc clutch, brakes are Wilwood Superlites front and rear with 12" discs, camber plates front and rear, lower rear control arms have rod ends for toe adj, Tokiko adj suspension, Ron Davis alum radiator, fiberglass doors, hood, deck lid and flares. Wheels are lightweight 15"x 7" Panasports with 225/60 Hoosier TD tires.

I'm gathering parts to built a back-up race engine to have a longtime friend of mine that raced Datsuns back in the day (George Alderman) take on the task as well as freshen the Rebello engine when it's time. Alderman still has his machine shop in New Castle. Some of you guys might remember him from racing a variety of Datsuns (and an AMC) in SCCA and IMSA.

Body is a bit scruffy hence me skipping the Labor Day Lime Rock event this year so we can have it fresh and straight for 09. We will however be taking the car back to VIR in late September SVRA IMSA reunion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:25 am 

Well, Steve, you sure know how to open the door and make a Grand Entrance!

Most impressive, and you have all of us drooling!
If you ever need a back-up driver or Pit Monkeys, I'm sure over half of us would volunteer!

:twisted:

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:59 am 

Hey, Ross~

Do you think we could convince Steve to advertise our CTZCC logo on his car?
He could put it on the back end, where EVERYBODY would see it!

Frank T

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:45 pm 

Oh, Hi Steve my name is Rich. I own a 91 300zx TT and have Driven Lime Rock, along with other area raceways, quite a few times over the years. It would be awesome to make a CTZCC day out of coming to see you tear it up at the track!

Again welcome Mr. & Mrs. Steve :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:49 pm 

AUG08~

Steve ~ do you have a projected race schedule you can post for the remainder of this season? When you run Watkins or Lime Rock or even New Jersey I'm sure some of us members could gather to watch you.

Also, any podium finishes yet this year?

Frank T

(PS ~ I'd REALLY like to see a CTZCC logo on the rear spoiler of your car!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:08 pm 

very nice man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:59 pm 

Very nice. I just ordered tickets for the vintage races at limerock this year... perhaps I'll see you in the audience?