Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:51 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: My Intro WES LENT
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:08 pm 

Currently in Woodbury, CT.. In the process of restoring a 1968 2000 roadster. I was a rep for the regional 'Topgear' magazine in the 60's. Owned a 1949 MG TDY(4-seater),58 Dauphine, 60 Sprite. Met Paul Bruk Ist Datsun East coast dealer. Assisted with
drivers for the racing team and bought my own 310 1500Fairlady. Immediately wiped up three classes @ auto- cross in Poughkeepsie(so much for their "TIN CAN" slurs). President of the Taconic Auto Sports Car Club
(TASCC), 1968 "D"class Champion, East Coast/Autocross,
10th fastest time of Day(100 cars). Honor of a ride in the first 240Z(N.Y.) Auto show car thanks to Bob Sharp. Purchased SRL311 and now DeJa Vu here I go again.Have a neighbor/buddy with 240Z 58 second per lap car at LImerock & an IMSA200Datsun(for sale). His Name Joe DeLoro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:52 pm 

Wes,
Welcome aboard! We love Roadsters and would like to see a lot more of them in the future. When you get a chance, please post some pictures. Looking forward to meeting you. Regards, Ross

PS - Please also register to "join our club" on the home page. That way you will be put on our mailing list and will be entitled to a club discount with our sponsors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:19 pm 

Welcome Wes!

And welcome to your little 2000 Roadster! (High or Low windscreen?)

We'll all be happier when you post a few pictures of the restoration progress and tell us a little (at least) about yrslf and the car, such as where you found it, how you locate spares, how original it is, any improvements you've made on it, etc.

This was one of the cars CTZCC member Bob Sharp raced on his way to fame, and somewhere among my junk I have a snapshot of him drifting thru a hard right with a pack of BMWs (as I recall) snipping at his heels. Other cars (in and out of that class) seemed to struggle with keeping good balance thru the turns, but Bob always made it look like some sort of Ballet, with his little roadster(s) perfectly balanced on the best line, within consistent seconds or two of his best time, lap after lap. I remember coming away wondering if it was just a great car, just a really great driver, or both.

Is this the first roadster you've restored?

We will look fwd to meeting you at the June meeting, if possible. I'll buy you a slice of pizza!

Glad you're among us, Wes ~ welcome aboard!

Frank T
Membership Director
HLS30-02807 04/70

PS ~ How did you manage a ride in Bob's old HLS30-00006 car?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:33 pm 

Welcome Wes, like the others I'm anxious to see your roadster in person but will settle for photos if we must!! Make sure you invite your neighbors to join the club and attend the show 7/19!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:59 am 

I will try to attach a picture of the Roadster! I was
a consultant to Paul Bruk( orig. Datsun dealer) when the drivers were being considered. Alan Wylie(corvette)Bedford, N.Y., was originally designated as the No. 1 driver. Bob Sharp (Lotus 7) soon proved to be the better driver. And so it began. My car was
looked after by Bruk's mechanic and subsequently Bob.
I photo'd Bob's racing since day one. He had a GULF station/garage in Ridgefield, then a larger shop in Wilton and subsequently the dealership in Wilton. incorporating the car preparations/mechanics and engineering. I got the Z ride due to my literary and photo support through Topgear and my own successes with the 310. Introduced Bob to MASCDACS. Now chaired by Bruce Wenerstrom who just organized this years Greenwich Concourse. Lunched with Carrol Shelby, Walter Cronkite(enthusiast), etc. in N.Y..My car was unbeatable due to Bob's work on it.
Knew Bob's son when he was just a Tad(now a driver for Acura). Follow him too. Bob sent me your Concourse Photo's.
Personally: Landscape Architect for over 50 yrs.. Cornell '55. Son Derek Cornell '78 also an L.A. on
Block Island. New car('68) is there and still working on it (It's called $). I work Darien, All of Connecticut, R.I.,N.Y.,Mass.,R.I.. RE -upping 0n reviving licenses to vintage race and SOLO. I will be 75 this year? Drove the car on the Island and it
still 4-wheel drifts beautifully. GOT TO GET THE MIKUNI'S ON IT, the heavier front sway bar, etc.. I do have many sources for both Roadster and 'Z' parts.
Just bought a Z intercooler for this car! Car is a California car. Parts sources amazingly everywhere including Canada, England, Australia.
WES (How do I send Photo's)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:28 am 

Wes~

Oh, YEAH! That little beauty is going to bring back a lot of happy memories for a lot of people!

Of all the photos you must have of your Roadster, I'm glad you chose to send one taken on a rainy day. That brings to life the trials endured of all die-hard purists who struggled with drop-tops for the sake of Wind-in-the-Face motoring thru the decades; It also tickles the imagination about the challenges of restoring an open car whose floorboards have survived (or not) 40+ years of "open weather".

As happy as I am with my 240 Coupe, I envy you, Sir.

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:07 pm 

Hi, Wes~

Don't know whether you are still monitoring this site, but I sure do like your roadster!

Memory fails me at the moment (it has nothing to do with age!), but noticing the hood scoop makes me think it looks like an SRL511 (2-liter, 5-speed) which in stock form would go like a rocket, but stopping.... :roll:

Love to see it some time, if you still have it.

All Z Best, Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:49 pm 

Hi Wes:
I'm pretty new here myself - so like Rick said - in case you are still monitoring this thread...

Did you know Paul Jaremko by chance? He was a Datsun Dealer in Spokane, Washington {now a Nissan Dealer there} - he won 14 consecutive SCCA races in the Pacific Northwest in 1964 running an SPL310. His accomplishments are noted in Rae's Datsun History Book page 252.

I bought my first 240Z from him 14 March 1970 and we've been friends ever since. He and his son David still race Datsun Roadsters, although his son David was SCCA's D SportsRacing Champion in 2007, and finished in 2nd place in 2008 as I recall.

I mention that only because driving skills seem to run in the family - just as Bob and Scott.

About time to get a 240Z - isn't it?

kind regards,
Carl B.