Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:54 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Hello Everyone
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:31 pm 

Hello, my name is Dan Linquist, and i'd like to introduce myself. I,ve been involved with z cars since th early 70's. I was a line mechanic for Datsun in Minnesota from 1973-1976. I worked on the very early z's, which led to the desire to own some of my own.
I currently am finishing a resto. of 21/2 years on a 1970 240z, HLS30-1651. This beauty will be posted in the members rides section shortly.
I look forward to chatting with all you members. A special thank you to frank thomas, for all his help, and his facilitation in joining your club.
Dan Linquist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:05 pm 

Dan,
Welcome to our club! We very much look forward to seeing pictures of your restoration. I'm sure your knowledge and experience will be invaluable to our members. Maybe some day we'll get you out East! Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:40 pm 

HEY DAN!

REALLY GREAT TO FIND YOU IN HERE! IT MAKES ME REALLY HAPPY THAT YOU JOINED US, AND I'M LOOKING FWD TO SEEING PICTURES OF YOUR HISTORICALLY IMPORTANT EARLY Z CAR. (I AM, OF COURSE, JEALOUS OF ANYONE WITH A LOWER VIN THAN MINE!)

I KNOW YOU WERE SCHOOL-TRAINED TO WORK ON THE (THEN-NEW) SERIES-1 Z CARS; THAT'S A LOT MORE THAN I COULD SAY FOR SOME OF THE DATSUN MECHANICS I ENCOUNTERED WHEN I FIRST OWNED #2807.
REMIND ME TO TELL YOU SOME OF THE HORROR STORIES I WITNESSED (AND EXPIRIENCED!) BACK IN THE DAY.

NOW THAT YOU'RE PART OF OUR CRAZY FAMILY, WE CAN WORK ON GETTING YOU TO ATTEND OUR MEETINGS!
:D

WELCOME, DAN.

FRANK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:03 pm 

Ross and Frank: Thank you for the welcome, it is excellent to be a member of the club. I look forward to discussing all sorts of z topics. Thanks again, Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:58 pm 

Danny!

I finally saw your picture of HLS30-01651 in the Member's Rides~ it looks just like mine!

I am happily amazed to see how many owners of the 1st generation 240 cars remove the hood nose emblem! The car looks so much better without it!

Mine came off the car in a tunnel one night in 1974 ~ bounced off the windscreen at speed and flew back into the traffic behind me. I never went back looking for it and when I repainted the car I left it off and filled the holes.

It's also pretty amazing that you stepped up to a car which had been sitting for years, waved your magic wand over it and drove it home!
(It must not have had Champion plugs in it).

When we both get our cars finished, let's pick a half-way point and meet for burgers? We could park them side by side in the parkinglot and see if anyone notices. Twin cars, each from a different Coast.

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:29 am 

Ross asked me to post my car's story in this section, rather than in the members rides, so the story, could recieve better exposure. Well here goes.
My best friend Gary has a neighbor named Rick, who left a series 1 low # car out in the Pacific Northwests weather, for 5 years. When i would go over to Gary's house i would remark to him, " Whats up with your neighbors Z ?" He said, " I don't know for sure, but i wish he'd do something with it."
So i ask Rick if hes interested in selling the car, and he says yes, how's $300.00 sound. I knew what i was looking at, so i offered him $1,500.00, for the car. He asked me how i was going to get the car home, and i told him to air up the tires, and i would be by the following evening, with a battery. Rick asked me why i needed the battery, and i told him i planned to drive the car home. He said that the car had not run in 5 years, and had no brakes.
Well fast forward, 24 hours. When i got to Ricks, i installed the battery, freed up the throttle linkage with some penetrating oil, and told him to get in the car. Now for the best part.
I said, "When i tell you turn the car over, but first choke it. Then as he turned the car over i gave each S.U. a shot of starting fluid. On the first try, the z turned over, but didn't fire. So we repeated the step and presto it roared to life, much to Rick's amazement, in fact Rick looked like he saw a ghost.
So started a 2 1/2 year journey, that is now culminating in a full resto. on the car. I have gone thru every component, system ect. to bring this car back to it's rightful status.
I sure hope some one enjoys her, yes you guessed it, I'm SELLING THE CAR!
I restore and sell classics, now that i'm retired. Between coaching High School Football, coaching Soccer in Europe over parts of the summer, and the z, i'm extremely busy.
I sure hope who ever gets this car enjoys having it, as much as i've enjoyed, restoring it. P. S. I used the emergency brake to stop the car on my way home that night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:57 am 

Danny ~

Great Story! It's funny how some Z's "wait" for attention from a special person who will recognize and appreciate what that car is.
I remember you said you were a school-trained Z mechanic in the past, so I guess fate just waited for you to come and waive your magic wand over this "dead" Z car, and bring it back to life.

I've been watching your progress photos as you rebuild and restore #01651, so I know the meticulous detail you're pouring into the car. I also appreciate your "restore it" rather than "replace it" attitude, to keep the car as original as possible.

When that early-VIN 1970 is ready for sale, we need to know about it first, please. (Gee, an East Coast buyer would get to drive it home!).

Here in CT, Dave Russell also has taken a very-early 1970 car down to the bare metal shell and built it back up piece by piece. It's surely a labor of love, and your efforts should allow thousands of people to view and appreciate a classic Z car for another 30 years.

(My personal hope is that you fall in love with the car when it's finished, and not be able to bring yrslf to part with it).

In case nobody's said it yet, THANK YOU for taking the time and effort to restore this very important car.

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:48 pm 

Hi, Dan~

I know it's a year, but if you still have #01651 and would like to sell it....

If I were the Rick who had it before you, you would never have gotten it in the first place!..... well, maybe to shape it back up for me.....

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)