Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:55 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:32 pm 

I've been lurking on this site for the last 5 years after I moved here and finally decided to join the club. I currently have a 1972 z which I've owned the the past 30yrs. I live in West Greenwich Ri and I'm open to local meetups and can offer assistance with other Z's if needed. Below are the details on my car and I will try and get some pics posted. Everything listed below was done by myself except for the floor replacement. Also, I still have all the original parts in working/restorable condition.
Thanks,
Keith

Exterior:
20+ yrs ago, rear wheel arches and hood were repaired/replaced with Nissan Japan sourced parts
Side mirror sourced from Nissan Japan 20+ yrs ago
2 yrs. ago floors and frames replaced with Zed Findings parts sourced 20+ yrs ago – Work was done by Saccucci Honda in Newport Ri as their winter project for me.
All new OEM badges and emblems
New European spec chrome bumpers
New full front grill from Skillard
New BRE front carbon fiber spoiler sourced directly from BRE
Enkie 16 by 8 wheels with Bridgestone RE71R’s 205/55/16
Eibach lowering springs
Original 918 paint code. Interior and engine bay retains the original paint.

Interior:
Seat foam and covers replaced from MSA
New full carpet set from MSA
OEM Door cards sourced from Nissan Japan 20+ yrs. ago
3 minor cracks in original dash

Engine/driveline: Specs below are for the current setup I built over the Winter. Previous setup was the triple Weber’s with original E88 head shaved mated to 83 flat top block at 11:5 compression running on 105 octane with a Schnieder stage 2 cam.
Rebello Racing 3.0L block 10:5 compression – I can now run 93 octane and save some money. Since so many people through the years said to put an LS in it, I painted it Chevy orange.
Original E88 head ported and polished with larger 280z valves.
Rebello Racing Cam 63DE specs. I advanced the cam 6 degrees for more low-end torque.
Original distributor rebuilt by Advance Distributor in Mn. Vacuum advance restored and removed and distributor was recurved to work with the triple Weber’s – 20 degree advance at idle.
Turbo oil pump
Triple Weber 40 DCOE’s with a Cannon manifold sourced 20+ yrs ago. 36mm chokes with 155 main jets for now.
1979 5 speed wide ratio tranny fully rebuilt, vapor blasted and epoxy coated. Redline fluid
Original flywheel lightened to about 16lbs, resurfaced and balanced
Centerforce dual friction clutch kit
1987 3:70 LSD out of and 87 300zx turbo. Redline fluid
Stock axles for now
Jet Hot coated 3 into 2 header sourced from Rebello Racing
2 ¼ mandrel bent pipe to a 2 chamber Flowmaster muffler that I installed 20+ yrs ago
60 amp 81-83 internally regulated alternator with MSA sourced harness plug for no wiring mods.
Twin electric cooling fans with shroud and MSA aluminum 3 core radiator. Fan control mounted on custom bracket where the external regulator used to be.

Other:
Stock brakes fully rebuilt with Porterfield pads. All new bearings and races.
A combo of urethane and stock bushings

To Do: This stuff may or may not happen
Minor body work and an exterior repaint
Just Dashes dash replacement – I doubt I’ll do this unless my cracks get worse
Upgraded axles
Suspension restore and powder coated
Big brake kit from Z Car Garage
Koni adjustable struts

Last edited by Ktl240 3.0 on Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:17 pm 

Pics of the car

Attachments:
1.png
1.png [ 224.41 KiB | Viewed 8841 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 116.67 KiB | Viewed 8841 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 115.07 KiB | Viewed 8841 times ]
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 91.02 KiB | Viewed 8841 times ]
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 94.85 KiB | Viewed 8841 times ]
6.jpg
6.jpg [ 86.5 KiB | Viewed 8841 times ]
7.jpg
7.jpg [ 84.61 KiB | Viewed 8841 times ]
8.jpg
8.jpg [ 100.32 KiB | Viewed 8841 times ]
9.jpg
9.jpg [ 72.71 KiB | Viewed 8841 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:51 pm 

Very impressive. There's almost nothing left to do on this car.
Welcome Keith, nice to have you aboard, especially when you arrive bearing "gifts" like that one. It's a pleasure to claim it among our virtual stable.

Who makes the headers? Looks like MSA, maybe? I know you sourced them from Rebello but I wonder if that's where they found them. Also, please mention what radiator you're trusting to handle all that improved engine performance?

Interested in how you lightened the flywheel, and whether it had any unwanted side effects? With the cam, Webers and the light wheel, the idle must be fussy.

We have a trip to Thompson raceway planned for later this month, and it would be really great to meet you in person there.

Frank T

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:23 pm 

Welcome aboard Keith!

Wow! What an impressive list of mods and upgrades. Nice Pics too. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Frank mentioned the upcoming "Fun Run" to Thompson Speedway scheduled for September 18th. We'd love to see you there! Please check our "Upcoming Events" Forum Topic for updates.

As you probably know, we have other members from RI, and our past president now resides there with his family and "Black Pearl" Z car. Feel free to post any events or "Fun Runs" that you might like our members to participate in.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:09 pm 

The header is a Pacesetter. Rebello said the MSA one doesn't flow enough for his engine setup and that the Pacesetter has bigger primaries. Dave also includes new custom spacers with the header and has the best price.
The radiator is the 3 core radiator aluminum one from MSA. I had to upgrade the alternator because it could not keep up with the demands from the twin cooling fans and was draining the battery. I also use Water Wetter to help the coolant work more efficiently. Cooling this setup properly was actually the thing that took me the most time getting sorted.
The machine shop took the flywheel down from about 23lbs to 16lbs. All the aftermarket lightened flywheels were around 11lbs and I did not want to go that low. The engine revs up much faster with this setup and I have no adverse side effects from the setup. It actually shifts and runs like a stock setup which is a bit of a surprise considering I used the dual friction clutch setup along with the lightened flywheel. Maybe I'll let you take it for a spin at Thompson's later this month.
I am planning on going to Thompson Speedway to meet everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:20 pm 

I had the MSA 6 into 2 header on this car previously. If anyone wants it for free, let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:17 pm 

["Maybe I'll let you take it for a spin at Thompson..."]

Oooohhhh, yeahhhhhh........ :thumbs_up: 8) :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:19 pm 

The 6-into-2 MSA headers are called their "Twice Pipes". I have them on my car now and endorse them for vigorous street use. I had my entire exhaust system ceramic coated inside and out, and it greatly helps moving heat out the back end of the car.

Attachments:
iu-8.jpeg
iu-8.jpeg [ 50.43 KiB | Viewed 8807 times ]
iu-7.jpeg
iu-7.jpeg [ 11.94 KiB | Viewed 8807 times ]