Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:43 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Belated new member intro
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:08 am 

Hi all,
I figured that I should probably introduce myself, being that I’m a new member.
I currently live in the old saybrook area(hopefully there will be a z car meet down here someday haha). I currently own an early model(pre 8/74) 1974 Datsun 260z 2+2…. Yea I know, it’s just a 2+2. Car is on 15x7 Konig rewinds, stock suspension… I think. The car has had all the emissions removed from it(real clean look under the hood). Would you believe me if I told you the car is rust free? I Bought the car off the original owner, he had the car pretty much gutted, and it hadn’t run in over 30 years, and that’s where my project began.
I hate to say it, but, my favorite part of the car is the BOB SHARP RACING cam cover….
Thank you for allowing me to join the club, and hope to make it to a z meet someday.
Thank you,
Malone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:28 am 

Welcome to the club Malone!

We love 260Z's! :thumbs_up:

Back in the day, I almost traded my '71 240Z in for a 2+2 when the family began to grow. They wouldn't give me enough for the 240 back then which unfortunately started to exhibit the feared "tin worm" disease, so I just kept it and bought a second car. Now I'm forever glad I kept it.

We would all like to see your Z and there will be other meets soon. In the meantime, submit some pictures of your car in the club "members rides" portfolio.

BTW, our club "historian" Frank T can share some interesting tidbits on the 260 2+2 with you.

Check this website frequently for news, topic inputs and meeting dates.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:48 am 

Welcome, indeed!
You are going to draw a lot of interest in that car. The 260 had arguably the best engine of the S30 series; it had nearly "square" dimensions (bore and stroke nearly the same) which allowed it to endure higher rpm than either the L24 or the L28 could. One of our members drifted a 260 competitively and held it above 8,000 rpm routinely. (That story ended poorly but it wasn't the fault of the engine).

The 2+2 was never as popular as the 2-seat S30 because it didn't look as sleek. But the truth was, the 2+2 was actually more aerodynamic and better balanced than the 240 was. Bob Sharp (this Club's Executive Advisor) proved that. Bob sold Datsuns here in CT and was factory-sponsored, so he was obligated to ''drive what he sold". During the '74 campaign he drove and raced 260 2+2s. His son Scotty was just a wee lad then and Bob's wife used to drive him around in the family car; a 2+2 260z, and Bob drove one to work each day. On the racetrack Bob's 2+2 proved actually faster than his best 240 times (and he had set the record at LimeRock several times with the 240).

The 2+2 was available with automatic trans and air-conditioning, which made it 'acceptable' to wives as sporty family transportation. Because it was sort of a family car, the 260 2+2 was seldom modified or hot-rodded, meaning most of the survivors today should be in pretty pristine shape. You know we only got the 260 here for an 18-month 'zeason' and that they had two separate series; a lightweight early sportscar model and a heavier later GT model. I don't know the exact date when that changed, or how many had been made before they added the 'park bench' bumpers. The early cars had carburetors and the final cars had the 'new' fuel injectors which the 280z wore thru its production.

Because the 2+2 was seldom hot-rodded or beaten and abused by young husbands, there is a good chance that some 2+2 260 might survive long enough to become the final S30 left on planet earth. Think about it; so many 240s have been carved-up and souped-up, crashed, or rusted to death that their numbers today are dwindling (certainly fewer than 2,000 1970 cars left in the world, and possibly fewer than 1,000). That trend will continue until over time the S30 cars will have all crashed or rusted away and be represented by the one which was best treated; the heavier GT versions (260 or 280). Hopefully we'll all be long-gone before that happens, but when you put your car in the garage at night, consider that you might be preserving what will become the world's last Datsun Z.

But the real value of your car is that Bob Sharp cam cover! :shock:

Those have become worth thousands of dollars recently. Bob Sharp Himself tried to find one 12 years ago, but couldn't find anyone willing to sell one for less than $6,000, and that was before the Z cars hit 50 years old and became classics. Price them yourself today and guard yours carefully. Whatever effort or cost you put into preserving that cover will be an investment. Seriously, they have actually become thief-bait over the past 10yrs. When you insure your Z make sure you consider that your replacement cost would involve a craZy amount to find another BSR cam cover.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4070&hilit=BSR+Cam+Cover

We'd love to zee some pictures of your car, and zee it in person when possible. We held meetings at Grossman Nissan in O.S. for years before covid hit, and we're just now getting the Club back in motion, so we might actually be coming to your neighborhood again!

Anyway, good to have you aboard Malone. You will find this is the friendliest car club you've ever joined, and lots of fun. Good people, fun cars. Glad to have you with us. :thumbs_up:

Hey everybody, say hello to Malone! New guy here!

Frank T
Unofficial Club Historian
"Most of what you're about to hear is true"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:37 pm 

From what I read, the 260z with a manufacturing date prior to August of 1974, used 240z suspension, had small bumpers, and the turn signals integrated into the valence. The cars made after 8/74 had the big bumpers, 280z suspension, and the turn signals were in the grill
Since the “Member Rides” section said “could not validate username”, I figured I should pop in a couple photos of my car here, however they still will not upload haha. Hopefully I’ll get this figured out soon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:33 pm 

A little suggestion, if you add pictures to this post, use your photo app to reduce size. Thumbnail size seems to work best for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:17 pm 

Send a note to webmaster(at)ctzcc and tell Jim you need to post a picture to the Members' Rides. He's a wiZard and can make anything happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:41 pm 

And here's some interesting reading about the incredible 260z.
Bear in mind that the rest of the world (specifically Europe and Australia) kept getting the 260 long after we stopped getting it. In return, we got the 280, which was not available in many other countries.
If you run out of 260 parts here in the USA, you might find them abroad, and certain parts from 240s and 280s can be fitted to your 260.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/datsun-260z-2

There's another member on here who I'd like you to meet; JP260Z.
Jay, introduce yrslf to Malone.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:41 pm 

Hi Malone!

I owned an early model (4/74) 260Z for 20 years, it was/is my favorite car. They are really special cars. I think that BSR cam cover would be a highlight for me too. There is a good braintrust on this site (and within the club) that can help you keep that car running well. If you have any questions about it please ask.

Welcome aboard!

Jay