Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Our 500th Member!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:54 pm 

I've been watching the membership rolls closely lately and a big event has just occurred - we just received our 500th membership application! (Thanks Keith from Meriden!)

For me, this is really an incredible milestone and it's a good excuse to pause and reflect.

As Frank has been pointing out over the past year, we are really somewhat of a hybrid club. We have a packed annual calendar of in-person meetings and events, yet we also have a significant and active web-based presence. I don't know that this is unique among Z clubs, but I suspect it is.

Out of our 500 members, 435 are "local'; and 65 are "distant". But even our distant members like to personally participate, as evidenced by Thorsten Link's trek here from Germany this past summer, Jim Frederick and Carl Beck's trek from FL to our 2009 annual car show and Dan Linquist's trek from WA to attend our 2009 Fall Outing.

To me, and I'm sure to others who were at that very first Fall Outing in 2005, reaching a milestone of 500 members is mind-blowing. There were about a dozen cars and people at that first event and that was pretty much "the club" (active members present were John Bianci, Jim Hagani, Bryan Little, Phil Parent and of course Mike Rosann).

At the risk of omitting some very deserving mentions, which I am sure to do, I would like to say a special "thank you" to the following individuals who have contributed to the growth and spirit of this club:

Jim Hagani, our webmaster, for building and maintaining the best Z club web-site in existence.

Frank Thomas, our membership Director, for being "Frank" and thereby making everyone feel connected and welcome.

Phil Parent, our Photographer, for doing the same excellent job, over and over again, without complaint.

Keith Hultmark, our Merchandise and Activities Director, for keeping the club coffers filled and being my right hand man at events.

Bryan Little, our Motorsports Director, for his enthusiasm and knowledge which he readily shares with all.

Mike Rosann, for being our most loyal club member, most selfless volunteer and biggest supporter.

Paul Mackin and Mike Tubiak, for being our most loyal discussion forum members.

Robin Foote, for reminding us of what matters in life and for fighting for justice and road safety.

Rick Morgan, for reminding us that "barn finds" really do happen!

Rich, Scott and Steve at RDZ, for all their advice, assistance and generous hospitality.

Our members from Australia, Canada, Finland, France, and Germany for exposing us to "Z passion" in other lands.

Our many members who lead other Z clubs such as Carl Beck, Jim Frederick, Clive Bogle, John Jeffrey and John Taddonio. These people know that the Z community and passion is far stronger united than divided.

The owners and employees at Middletown Nissan, Executive Nissan and Miller Nissan for treating us like royalty and supporting our meetings and events.

Bob Sharp, for being a real life inspriation to us all and for answering our endless questions!

And finally, to the countless "regular" members who come to meetings and events, post on our web-site, help with activties and become our friends. Your collective contributions to this club have made it what it is today!

Thank all of you for five years of memories, friendship and brotherhood.

Sincerely, Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:56 pm 

Ross, thank you for making us all aware of this monumental event. Five hundred members is definitely a far cry from where we started in 2005. Back then I don't think any of us thought the club would ever reach this size and geographic expanse, let alone achieve it in a mere five years! Prior to the CTZCC formation, we all lived in our own little Z worlds. To think, I went the entire year of 2004 without conversing with a single Z owner!

I would like to echo your thanks to all those who contribute to this great hobby we share! Especially Jim for giving us this great communication tool, Keith for orchestrating our great events and providing our wonderful Z wardrobe and of course Frank for lighting and fanning the Z fire in all of us.

Of course, being the author of this milestone post, you obviously left out the main character, the father of CTZCC, the only person who could have seen us through this expansion while keeping a steady hand on the helm. Thank you Ross for your undying devotion to CTZCC and to your club brothers and sisters. We couldn't have done it without you!

Now, when's the next meeting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:11 pm 

Ross, THANK YOU! Just 30 minutes ago I checked my mail and found Keith's application! Because of the hour, I decided to wait until tmrw to call you and 'notify' you that we had our 500th member.
But you already knew that, you sly fox you! :D

CONGRATULATIONS to this wonderful Club. My mind's eye is right now running over the 450+ faces of the members I have met in person, and dwelling on memories of each of them. This is indeed a happy and momentous landmark in our history.

Keith in Meriden, thank you for joining us with your 300ZX 2+2. You have 'rung the bell' as you walked thru our door. I will sit down and hammer out a WELCOME letter to you tonight, explaining some things about the CTZCC which you should find interesting. Whoever recruited you gets my enthusiastic 'e-handshake' and hearty THANK YOU, too.

500 members! Our 'little Club' is growing up. The wonderful part of the CTZCC for me is that 'most of us know most of us' and we each share the love of these wonderful Z cars.

Ross, I've said it before but it bears repeating at this celebrious event;
THANK YOU for creating this great Club, and for affording each of us the chance to meet such wonderful Z people.

CONGRATULATIONS, CT Z CAR CLUB!

What a GREAT way to end 2010!

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:22 pm 

Boy we have come along way. I never would have imagined that small group of guys and girls who met at Ross’s house in 2005 could turn into 500 Z fans in one club. I’m sure you will all agree that Ross is the glue that holds all 500 of us together. Thanks Ross.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:46 pm 

Ross , I really tried to "blanket bomb" the registration list to get this honor (and drive Frank crazy :lol: ) but I couldn't fiqure out how to do it. It's that darned lack of computor skill!!! :lol:

1980 280 zx coupe
2005 Pathfinder
1971 240 z
1982 280zx, 1977 &1974 corvettes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:09 pm 

Here's a link to the few photos of the first, 'unofficial', CTZCC club gathering where it all started.

http://www.ctzcc.com/2005outing.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:26 pm 

Wow, we get more than that at a Fun Run now! :lol:

It's not surpriZing to me to zee Mike Rosann there. He has NEVER missed a single meeting or event this Club has held. Perfect attendance.

My hero!

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:33 am 

Wow! A great milestone!! I love this club and without it I feel I would have nowhere to turn to to share my passion. I love helping people in this club and just being a part of such a great family. You all are very special and it's your passion for the Z car that keeps me going and wanting the very best out of my Z. Before I joined I only had a couple ideas what I wanted to do now after only a year or so I'm filled with ideas and my Z has really done a lot and it all would not have happened without you guys. And Ross thank you for starting such a great club and thank you for the shout out it's an honor. I'm really starting to feel like theZman!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:22 pm 

I know y'all can't see me, but I am hanging my head as I type.

To think I was so uninformed, so naive, so out-of-the-loop to
believe that interest in the Z Car, particularly the earlier models,
(not to mention Clubs associated with said cars, especially in the
infamous Rust Belt) had gone the way of the dinosaur, the dodo
bird, the pterodactyl, and the woolly mammoth.

To not only have deprived the opportunity for friendship-- or should
I better say brother- and sisterhood?-- to hundreds of people who
venerate the Z Car and all that entails. Worse, to have unknowingly
deprived hundreds of Z fanatics the joy of sharing in the treasures
which we had "hidden," though without malice, for over 30 years.

Kathy and I appreciate EVERY ONE of you and are so grateful for your
friendship, if not indeed for your love. And we appreciate your for-
giveness for our 30-year indiscretions. But in fairness we must also
single out the "Old Timers" who got the ball rolling again 5 years ago,
after the original CTZCC had come to a dead stop by 1980 or earlier.

And a special thankZ to Frank and Phrog (Chris) who courteously
accepted the introductory conversation of some old white-haired guy
who wanted to talk about THEIR cars and didn't "blow him off" as some
senile old guy who no longer knew which end of the gun the bullet
came out of.

Merry Christmas and All Z Best,.................Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:28 pm 

phil280zxt wrote:
Here's a link to the few photos of the first, 'unofficial', CTZCC club gathering where it all started.

http://www.ctzcc.com/2005outing.html

WOW!!!!! To think Kathy and I could have been there, too............

We still have a lot of catching up to do, don't we.

All Z Best,.......................Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:30 pm 

Well said, Rick, and well taken.

You can raise your head in the knowledge that your exposure of LUCKY 13 has single-handedly contributed more than 100 new members to this Club's rolls. In the 6-month period following the 're-discovery' of your HLS30-00013, we added more than 100 new joins. Some were 'casual' and would have happened anyway. But the vast majority of them were drawn to the CTZCC because of the shock wave #13 caused around the Z world. A huge number of those new-joins have become active, positive contributions to our family.

If you have any doubt about that, I invite you to research the conversations on any (and all) of the other Z forums on the internet about that time.

You're forgiven, and I have often considered creating some sort of Recruiting Achievement Medal to bestow upon you and Kathy.

I'm just thankful you fell into this Club, rather than another.
Thank you.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:42 pm 

Looking back on that Very First Event, it strikes me that the CT Z Car Club has ALWAYS been a family-oriented Club. There were almost as many wives, kids and sweethearts in those pictures as there were Z Guyz.

I suspect a large part of our success is that we INCLUDE our families in this Club. It's not an escape from home ~ it's something exciting to do with your family.

Another VERY strong part of our success is that we know each other. As I like to say, "most of us know most of us". We could have five THOUSAND members listed, but if we only knew each other over the internet and never met, we would be hard-pressed to kindle the strong friendships and brotherhood which binds us together in this family.

Everybody in this Club is important to everybody else. The few members we've had move away have saddened the rest of us. The day we lost Colin was devastating to each of us. We still display his poster at each of our events, to sort of 'keep him with us' while we're having fun together. It's our way of remembering family not able to be present. That's just the way we feel about each other. Thus be it ever.

There was a time, maybe two years ago, when I could walk the lawn at Ross' Annual October picnic and name the owner of each Z car I saw, and tell you some fascinating story about that car or that proud owner. Those days are GONE. :lol: We have more than 530 Z cars listed in the CTZCC today, and the count keeps climbing as members continue to update their information during this off-zeason.

Our MEMBER RIDES gallery has more than doubled in little over a year. I find it rewarding and significant that we are PROUD to display our Z cars in that showcase, no matter what condition they're in. When I shot my own 240Z for the gallery, it had little more than 1/2 the interior, leaking tires, 'space' wheels and about 1/4" of barn dust in corners I couldn't reach. It was a project in progress, but I was darned proud to show the world that I had finally located and reclaimed "MY" old 240Z.

I recogniZe that same pride in every one of our members when they talk about their own carz. I can only imagine how Rick Morgan must feel when people praise the collection of old Zs he has clung to for 30+ years, or how John Taddonio must feel when his immaculate 1970 "Hawaiian Z" gets recogniZed nationally, or what Robin Foote experienced when Colin's perfect 1970 240 won BEST OF SHOW this year, or how proud Mike Rossan must be when teenage kids gather in lust and awe around his unique convertible COOL Z at a car show.

When you consider Tom Wasney, Mike Englehart, Mike Tubiak, John & Bev B, Bryan Little, Chris Colgan, AirJockie, Wild Bill James, Jim Arnett, Vinny Bedini, Dan Linquist, Thor Link, Rev, King, Boomer, Jimbo Frederick and 'Uncle' Carl Beck and the endless list of other members who have poured their souls and money into these cars for years and years, you BEGIN to get an idea of how tremendously strong this Club really is.

THAT's the spirit which magnetiZes us and keeps us clinging together. Our individual and collective love for these wonderful Z carz can only be fully expressed to (and understood by) another Z lover.

So THANKS Ross, for planting that tiny seed which has grown into this mighty tree. I expect, if we maintain our present course and current core values, that the CTZCC will continue to grow in number and scope. We have never embarrassed ourselves (or each other), we have never had a fistfight or a lawsuit or trashed each others' feelings or gotten kicked out of anyplace. We continue to be invited back to each place we attend, our meetings continue to grow larger and more entertaining and more fun, our events are successive successes and personally, I can't wait for each monthly meeting. It should be illegal to have this much fun for free!

500 members?? PFFTTT! :P
I don't think you've seen NOTHIN' yet!

:wink:

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:54 am 

I can say that Rick Morgan is completely responsible for me being here. It was a personal invite that he gave me on another site that led me to join what I deem to be the BEST Z CAR CLUB in the world. So as you get to know me you can blame Rick!!! :lol:
Who is also a great guy who even though many miles seperate us I consider him my friend and brother. That would make Kathy my sister too!
The more I get to know Frank the more I like him- He kinda grows on you not unlike moss on a tree!!! :lol:
I really like the fact that the guys here are comfortable in teasing me a little. It makes me feel like family .Some day I'll surprise everyone by showing up at a meeting. I think a cross country drive in my zx would be great fun. Although it will have to wait for now.

1980 280 zx coupe
2005 Pathfinder
1971 240 z
1982 280zx, 1977 &1974 corvettes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:14 pm 

Congrats! 500 Members - what a great club. A lot of new members will follow and each of them will be glad to be part of this fantastic family.

Might be interesting to know who's member:
#240; #260, #280, #300, #350, #370.

:o

Post subject: Who woulda thought?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:30 pm 

Wow, 500 members.

It's a true testament to the CTZCC founders who kept the focus on what is most important to most of us, the love of our Z cars and the comradery this club has created. Many thanks to you all and especially to Ross and his lovely family whose hospitality was enjoyed and appreciated by all.

Happy New Year!