Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:30 am 

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have the most exciting news to share with you! I'm so happy I don't know where to start!

First, some basic knowledge common to all of us:

1. We all know the Datsun/Nissan Z cars are the best-selling of any Sports/GT car in the world. Altho many marques have been in existence for decades longer then the Z (Jaguar, Porsche, Alfa, etc), the Z cars were the FIRST IN THE WORLD to sell their One-Millionth car;

2. We also know the saga of how it all started: that at the 1969 Toronto Auto Show, a pretty model (I WISH we knew her name!) sat on the roof of the very first 240Z show car and dented it beyond repair. Our member Bob Sharp was currently racing Datsun Roadsters and sedans and winning a lot, but had heard about the new 240Z and asked for one. He was told they weren't available, but he'd be first in line if they got a damaged Z car from the factory;

3. Bob got the dented Z, (the very first Z car in North America) and he was off to the races! The car proved its mettle and Bob started racking up victories along with other Z racers Sam Posey, "Fitzy" Fitzgerald, John Morton, and eventually Tom Cruise and Paul Newman. Bob built a small but dominant empire with the Z car called Bob Sharp Racing, or BSR. On the West Coast, Brock Racing Enterprises (BRE) soon got Z cars and the competition btwn BSR and BRE became legendary. Most of the best Z car modifications we know today grew from this great rivalry;

4. Fast-forward four decades later ~ the Z car has become an Icon of our generation. It was all started by Bob's great driving and business sense (yes, racing is a BUSINESS, and it doesn't last long if you're not a good businessman), and a tiny handful of original Z cars. We have long known that these original Z cars have been gathered together in a single stable and preserved in Bob's original racing colors by a dedicated gentleman in Upstate New York;

5. *(A DRUM ROLL, PLEASE)*
I am extremely proud to announce that (just in time for the 40th anniversary of the Z car's introduction to the world), the CT Z Car Club has just added to our Membership List the owner of all the earliest original Bob Sharp Datsun racers, INCLUDING that very first 240Z ever to enter North America; Z car #HLS30-00006, the first Z car ever raced and the first Z to win a race!

THESE WERE THE ACTUAL CARS WHICH STARTED IT ALL, and they are now part of your Club!

When he gives his NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTION, I ask you all to please stand and give a grateful round of applause to our newest member and long-standing friend of Bob Sharp's, Allan Robbins!

For me, these are the most-famous and most historically important Z cars in the world!
This is like Christmas all over again!

Z Ya later!
Frank T
MbrshpDir/CTZCC
Frank@CTZCC.Com

Last edited by Frank T on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:45 am 

Frank, I almost shed a tear, this is so exciting. Thank you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:35 am 

Paul, I'm trying not to cry myself!
These cars are the Adam, Abel and Cain of every Z car on earth, and they're now part of our Club.

Picture me dancing like Snoopy!

Frank :D :D :D

Last edited by Frank T on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:20 pm 

The one word that has repeatedly come to mind since I've heard the news regarding our newest member is AWESOME! How fitting this word is in light of the Datsun ads of old.

I've always thought one attribute that makes CTZCC stand out among ALL other Z clubs is the honor of having THE Bob Sharp as an ACTIVE member in the club. Members drive for hours to attend our club meetings/activities and revel in Bob's great stories of Z racing lore. We are now doubly blessed!!

Welcome Mr. Robbins, you have made many CTZCC Z owners walk a little taller today! I am anxious to have the privedge to meet you one day and experience the history that is these great cars.

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:17 am 

Allan Robbins has Posted pictures of three of his Z racers in our MEMBER RIDES gallery today (Sun/01Feb09), including shots of THE ORIGINAL Z CAR (the first one ever received in North America; the Toronto Auto Show Car which got the roof dented and became Bob's first racer), and Bob's second car, which he built while he and Jim Fitzgerald raced the first car during the summer of 1970.

Great pictures of thrilling Zs! I can't wait to read Allan's introduction and hear what other history he can add about these first Zs.

For my part, I consider these to be the most historically-significant (and probably most valuable) Series-1 cars in the world. (I think he should name them Adam, Abel and Cain!)

Be sure to check them out in the MEMBER RIDES gallery!

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:26 pm 

That is awesome, I can't wait to see the pics!!!

Post subject: Cool News
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:41 am 

Awsome, History up close and personal. Thanks for the info Frank.