Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:21 pm 

With the Fall Outing now behind us, we officially bring the 2008 CTZCC season to a close! I’d like to offer some thoughts on our one-year anniversary. While the web-site and a loose affiliation of people have been around since our first gathering in the Fall of 2005, the club wasn’t really active until about this time last year.

Snapshot - Shown below is a comparison of activity between this time last year and now:

Registered Members:
October '07: 32, October '08: 177

Discussion Forum Members:
October '07: 18, October '08: 106

Member Ride Albums:
October '07: 9, October '08: 95

Web-site visits:
September ‘07: 881, September ‘08: 17,688!!

Here are some milestones I’d like to highlight:

Bob Sharp attends last year’s Fall Outing:
On a whim, I thought it would be nice to invite Bob Sharp to last year’s Fall Outing. I knew I still had an old e-mail address for him from my days in the Bob Sharp Z Car Club - so I sent an invite. The next day I received a call from Bob on my cell phone and the rest is history. Talk about the “perfect storm” of events, 1) Bob had just signed on as a consultant to Nissan Darien, 2) Nissan had recently opened a dealership in Darien and 3) yours truly lives in Darien! I knew that if I did not seize this opportunity to get the club off the ground I would regret it forever. Sometimes when doors open, you just have to walk through. Since then Bob has served as an Executive Advisor to the club, shaping many of our activities and events. One of my favorite events of the past ten years being involved in the Z community is the outing that Bob coordinated at Lime Rock Park this past summer. We are very fortunate to be affiliated with Bob, and the fact that he shows up at all of our events is just icing on the cake. Having Bob Sharp as part of our club is like having a z junkyard open up in your home town – it just doesn’t get any better!

Jim Hagani develops our web-site:
More so than any one person, myself included, Jim is probably most responsible for the success of this club. He’s a modest guy but in reality, Jim built and maintains the heart of this club – our web-site. Think for a moment…what would our club look like without our web-site? How would we get to know each other, publicize events, share photos, communicate? Jim does all of the web-site work free of charge and won’t even accept money for the web-hosting fees. I looked back at my e-mails to understand when I first met Jim. It was back in July of 2005 when I was contacting people to gage interest in starting a new club. He was gung-ho from the very beginning and has simply been invaluable to this organization. I firmly believe that our web-site is one of the best out there.

Frank Thomas accepts the Membership Director role:
Who knew that the e-mail I received from “Tanya” last March would evolve into the role Frank plays today as our ever-enthusiastic Membership Director? Frank is a real asset to this club and has been the driving force behind our Member Rides board, Discussion Forum, helping members to make connections and just getting people involved. Frank personally welcomes each new member and makes them feel immediately at home. Frank also is always on the look-out for the needs of other members. If he’s at the junkyard or talking to another member about parts, he’s not only representing himself but also every member who ever mentioned to him that they needed a part. I think it is safe to say that Frank is our most active member on the web-site. His posts on our Discussion Forum have pointed countless numbers of people in the right direction, regardless of their needs. If we could just get Frank to get his car to one of our events life would be perfect.

Phil Parent agrees to take on the Photographer role:
Phil and I go way back to the days of the now defunct Bob Sharp Z club from Wilton CT. When Phil volunteered to take on the photographer role, I knew it was a very good day. Since then, Phil has been at all of the major events and does a great job recording them digitally to enhance our web-site. He’s the kind of guy that when you ask him to do something – you can forget about it - because you know it will get done and done well. Also, if you haven’t gotten to know Phil personally, you are missing out on a really good guy. He also contributes to the club one of the nicest 280ZXT’s around.

Nissan Darien Sponsorship:
During last winter, Bob Sharp and I had several meetings with Bill Steinmetz of Nissan Darien. In early Spring, Bill generously agreed to sponsor our club by hosting our monthly meetings, buying us pizza and funding our first Z show. In these tough economic times, especially for car dealerships, such generosity is rare. So if you are planning to buy a car – please pay them a visit! Also, check them out on-line at http://www.nissandarien.com/

RDZ Engineering Sponsorship:
RDZ was our second sponsor to come on-board. They generously donated drinks for our July car show and offer a significant parts discount to club members. Visit them at http://www.rdz300.com/

New England Bounce About Sponsorship:
What better timing for a bounce-house business to join the fold but two days before our Fall Outing! Their generous donation of a bounce-house laast Saturday was appreciated by both the kids and the adults that didn’t have to babysit for a few hours. Please patronize this business at http://nebounceabout.com.

Our first club meeting:
The first official meeting of our new club occurred on April 2nd. Attendees listened to a short introduction of the club and were then treated to pizza and vintage racing footage narrated by Bob Sharp. There were lots of smiles in the room. It was then I knew that we were onto something very, very special.

Our first car show:
If you were there, you know how well it went. Turnout both in terms of cars and people exceeded expectations. Despite the heat, everyone had a great time. I can’t wait to see what our new Events Director (one of you that I will be recruiting over the Winter) has in mind for next year!

Lime Rock Park with Bob Sharp:
Gas to drive to/from Lime rock: $9.00. Dinner for spouse who let you take the day off: $45.00. Learning racing tips from Bob Sharp and driving your Z on the racetrack behind him: PRICELESS! The people that showed up that day won the lottery.

Our 1,000 post on the Discussion Forum:
In August we reached a major milestone on our web-site – our 1,000th post. The post was submitted by Tom Wasney, a long-time veteran of the Z community. While Tom doesn’t live in CT, he is one of our strongest club members in terms of his participation at events, activity on the discussion forum, recruitment of new members and overall enthusiasm.

Our Member Rides album:
Back in June we challenged ourselves to build-up the Member Rides section of our web-site. We called this challenge “100 by 10/18” and at the time it was a very ambitious goal as we only had 41 cars represented. There were times that I didn’t think we would get there. But as I write this we now have 98 albums, which us accountants will tell you rounds to 100! Congratulations to all of us on achieving this goal!

Please take a moment to share some thoughts about what the club has meant for you; friends you have made, events you have enjoyed, work you have done on your car because of the club, parts you have been given by other club members, funny anecdotes, etc.

And to all of us: HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!!!

Sincerely, Ross

Last edited by Ross.Williams on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:39 pm 

Well said Ross, it is a pleasure being affiliated with and promoting the club to other folks in the Z hobby, I try to share the clubs enthusiasm with any Z owner i come in contact with... A few of us attended a local fall season wrap Antique car show today in my local area, eight of us were representing the club.. Mike Engelhardt and i spotted an old Z car heading toward the show as we were waiting to meet up with other club members, when we got to the show the old Z owner came over to us and started talking to us, of course i pushed the club but was out of our little handouts to present him with. Turns out i worked with this guys brother previously and had known him for over 25 years, his brother always spoke of his 73 Z as being a low mile original car, turns out he has owned the car for 33 years and it has around 40k miles on it, I expected an okay car that was garage and storage worn but this car was sweet! anyway it was a pleasure to finally meet him and see his car in person and i urged him to check out our website and consider joining us, his brother also has a red 87 ZX that is a beauty too... Long live the CTZCC and all it's members.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:26 pm 

Oh, wow. How can I sum up all the great things this Club means to me?

In March of this year, after searching for HLS30-02807 for 23 years, I sealed the purchase of my actual old car with the MD resident who had owned it since 1989. As we loaded it onto the trailer he advised me to go onto the web and get involved in some Z clubs. When I got home I typed in "Datsun Z CT" and out popped Ross' Email address. I think my first line to him was, "Are you the Z guy?". He invited me to our first meeting of 2008 in April.

I remember taking my car's doorjamb build plate to the meeting and asking Bob Sharp to autograph it. My car turned 38 that month and that was its birthday gift.

Highlights of this year for me have been:
~ Being reunited with my old Z again (can't be described- puts tears in my eyes);
~ Meeting Bob Sharp;
~ Watching Bob's racing flix at the meetings;
~ Seeing two dozen Z cars and Roadsters pull into the same lot for a meeting;
~ Seeing 60+ Z cars pull into that same lot for a car show!
~ Meeting over ONE HUNDRED Z enthusiasts within 7 months, who have laughed with me, shared tech tips with me, trusted me with their cars, and showered me with spare parts, enthusiasm, and encouragement. I am proud to now call many of them my FRIENDS, a term I use sparingly;
~ Watching some of those members overcome impossible struggles to get their Z cars roadworthy, and fighting to keep them that way;
~ Watching our Website blossom into the most-active, cleanest, most-worthwhile Z site on the internet;
~ Celebrating a TRIUMPHANT first year with the most wonderful BBQ picnic I ever remember attending for free!:D

These memories are interlaced with long, happy hours alone in the garage with my old Z car, pulling parts and getting reacquainted.

THANK YOU, CTZCC, for helping to make 2008 one of the happiest years of my life. You guys are the best.

Frank T
MbrshpDir/CTZCC

Post subject: ctzcc
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:46 pm 

i thought i had run my course with "z" ownership after having been in with at least one or more "z"s for the past31 years. my buddies were wearing me down and i was almost ready to get a real car, a ford or chevy, as my friends put it.after the last run of the bob sharp club in wilton there was no place to go to show my cars or be with people who liked what i liked. when i went to a show i would be the only "z" there and they didn't know where to put me. then tom came around and then there was two of us to push around, and then ctzcc came around and then there was over 100 of us, who's going to push now??? there is a bond between us all that can't be taken away. we have what no one else has, and as i hear all the time, i loved those cars, my dad had one, my uncle had one, my teacher had one and i always wanted one!! well damit, get one and join our club!!!!it doesn't cost a penny,you have nice people, nice cars, good company and our secret weapon, bob sharp, who will keep your interest all day long!!! congratulations ctzcc on your first big year and many more years to come!!!!!! oh, and enjoy the ride!! mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:11 pm 

I would have to thank Tom Wasney for posting the Darien car show at classic Z cars or I never would have known about this club .( Might want to post a link to the outing pictures as it may bring in some others from around the area). The timing could not have been better as I thought I may have to give up working on the Z for awhile . My wife talked me into finishing the car which was completed the night before the show so the drive there was the road test . Thanks to Ross and family for sharing thier home for the outing and the personal time it takes to organize such an event . Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:24 pm 

Ross,
I and I’m sure everyone else would like to personally thank you for being the driving force pulling this club together. Without you it never would have gotten off the ground. I really had the time of my life with the meetings, car shows, Lime Rock outing and of course your having us all to your house this weekend. Thanks a million.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:09 pm 

Mike I'm still regretting missing that Limerock track day, hope it takes place again next year when i'm not down in Raleigh...... And thanks for the mention Jim, as i have said, it is my pleasure to promote the club and get folks to join up like yourself... Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:34 am 

i would personally like to thank Frank Thomas, for inviting me to join the club. I can't even remember how frank and i hooked up, but I'm glad we did. Frank and i have exchanged parts, stories, and tech tips. I feel i know each one of you threw Frank.
I hope that one day soon i can make a trip out to Ct. to meet you fine brothers, and sisters.
Thanks for all the memories i already share with you. I look forward to the next years, as well.
Dan Linquist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:50 am 

Well I remember, Dan!

I found you listed on Carl Beck's Internet Z Car Club and wrote you to ask if you really were restoring 1970 Z #1651 ~ and that started a landslide. When we began to compare our cars and I heard your story about how you saved that classic Series-1 car from rusting to death in a driveway, I couldn't stop asking you questions. Sorry about that ~ but thanks for being such a gentleman and answering them all!

You've helped me with more technical tips than perhaps anyone else in the past year. Your background as a Datsun Z mechanic has helped a lot, and given me insight into my car which I never would have had without your help. Sure, I did survival mechanics on my Z for 12+ years, but I never had to pull one down like you've done to #1651.

And if I'm remembering correctly, you were one of our first out-of-state Club members. It tickles me that this Club is expanding in many directions, and you were personally responsible for taking our banner out to the West Coast. We now have members up and down the eastern seaboard, in Chicago, and even Australia.

I thank you for remaining so active in the Forums, and for taking time in your busy life to share some of your expertise with those of us with less experience. You're an asset to this Club and it makes me proud to have been involved in "luring" you into joining us! :D

My hope is that someday the Fates and Furies will allow us all to meet you and see #1651 in person. Having made the trip across the USA in my 1970 240Z twice (and once across Canada), I can tell you it's a lifetime experience you will NEVER forget. (Take your toolbox!)

Frank T