Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:17 pm 

This is definitely one of my favorite Z videos. I just wonder what the other drivers in their Ferraris, Porsches, Cobras and Vettes are thinking when this little Datsun blows by them. The car has at least 6 cameras mounted providing all kind of neat visuals for this race along with outstanding telemetry (missing tach though).

I just love the fact that the car looks mostly stock in appearance and even has a complete interior. The Speedo and Tach are in original dash positions too. No big air-dams or spoilers either!

There are other cool videos on this car on YouTube. One shows how this Z car started out getting built as well as other race videos. The driver Gregg Scott even tows a little trailer with racing gear in it to the track. :) Check them out. :thumbs_up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XPeKMKRyRE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:51 pm 

Great stuff! Laguna Seca is this guy's home track so he's able to do more on it than most other drivers, and he seems to be the only one driving with purpose on this day.
["I just wonder what the other drivers in their Ferraris, Porsches, Cobras and Vettes are thinking..."] The same thing they all thought back in the 1970s when Bob Sharp drove his little Japanese C-Production newcomer past the whole field at LRP to win overall.

I don't know if you were present when Bob used to bring his personal 8mm movies to our club meetings at Darien Nissan? They showed the little 6 cylinder HLS30-00006 (now Doc Ribbons' car) shoot away with everyone on the straight and lead all the big A-Production 427 Cobras, 427 Mustangs, 427 Corvettes and 427 Camaros out of Big Bend, passing them all on the outside to take the lead. The big cumbersome American cars spun themselves off the track trying to catch Bob's nimble-footed little Datsun. Bob caught the lead out of the first turn and held it all the way to the checkered flag. Some footage showed one of the big 427 cars literally cartwheeling thru the air after running off the track trying to catch him.

The new 240 was a cheap wonder and it stood SCCA and later IMSA racing on their ears. I find it significant that this owner chose to paint his Green Hornet in the same colors as Bob's original #0006 car was during the early races of his first Zeason, when it took the entire USA by surpriZe with overall wins against much more powerful machines. The little car was indeed a giant killer.