Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:21 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
  Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:45 am 

I plan on leaving for the funeral from my house at 7:30am sharp. Mapquest states it will take about an hour. If anyone is interested in joining up at my house, please let me know. Otherwise, I hope I will see many of you at the funeral.

Post subject: New Information
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:57 am 

NEWSROOM (Brian Jones): From the Putnam sheriff's department, this advisory regarding the Sullivan wake and funeral:

---

On Thursday and Friday, Church Street in Carmel will be
closed to traffic between Seminary Hill Road and Route 6 from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. in connection with wake services at the Balsamo-Cordovano Funeral Home at 15 Church Street.

Persons attending the wake services can park at the nearby Paladin Center (former site of Guidepost Publishing) at 39 Seminary Hill Road in Carmel. Putnam County will provide shuttle buses to transport persons between the parking area and the funeral home.

On Saturday, Route 52 will be closed between Route 6 and Fair Street from 8 until 11 a.m. in connection with a 9 a.m. funeral Mass at St. James the Apostle R.C. Church on Route 52. The Paladin Center and the ShopRite Plaza at 178 Route 52 in Carmel will be utilized for parking for persons attending the Mass and shuttle buses to and from the church will again be provided.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:47 am 

Met Tommy and his wife this past year at the Autumn meet. After talking with him for a few minutes it was evident that he was an extremely personable guy who you felt like you knew your whole life. He immediately knew I was a fireman and I immediately had him pegged for L.E., and we commenced to break each other's balls all day. What a horrible event to happen to he and his family, I just have no words.

My prayers are with him and his family...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:15 am 

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/05/02/ ... daughters/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:34 pm 

I never met Sully, but upon reading this story the other day and seeing the picture of his family, I immediately felt sick to my stomach. I don't know what else to say other than what's been said.. a tragedy all around. ...their poor son :cry:

I have a family of my own, and it incenses me to think about them being harmed in any way, nevermind suffer in the way Tommy and his family did. The first thing I did when I came home from work yesterday was check my smoke detectors (and my house only has TWO). It baffles me that a home with 8 fire detectors literally gave them no time to escape. Because they were hard-wired in, and the electrical system quicky failed?? Who knows....

My deepest condolences to everyone who has been affected by this tragedy.

And the sight of his beloved Z at the end of the video clip that RIF posted...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:12 pm 

I'm heading up to the 2PM wake tomorrow, and intend to drive my Z to the funeral on Saturday.

As expected, they are anticipating such a crowd for the funeral that they are setting up remote parking, and shuttling mourners to the gravesites by bus. This will be a massive event, which will probably deserve aerial photography on the 6 o'clock news. Traffic to/from will probably be incredible, so we should plan our arrival accordingly.

The sad irony of this event is that NYZCC's Events Director is the actual reason we're going there ~ and for the first time since I've known him, Sully won't be able to help us coordinate this. :cry:

Last edited by Frank T on Sun May 06, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Memorial Sticker
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:47 pm 

These stickers will be free and will be handed out at our events upon request. They are window stickers that will memorialize Tommy, his family, Sully's Z, and his invaluable involvement with the development of the NYZCC.

-Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:02 pm 

Please set one aside for me Dave. That's a beautiful tribute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:19 pm 

Friday/04May ~

RDZ's Scotty Cole and I tagged together today and drove to the tiny hamlet of Carmel NY, for the 2PM visitation of the Sullivan family. As you might imagine, it was a solemn affair.

The village had police and firefighters at every corner within a 1/2 mile radius of the funeral home. They were all in perfect uniform with spotless patrol cars. They were courteous and helpful (they even let Scotty and me drive thru the barricades to park at the funeral home).

Tommy's Larchmont PD cruiser, waxed and buffed, sat parked outside the front door to greet us as we entered. Tommy's Captain's cap sat on the dashboard, perfectly blocked and with a spit-shined bill. His badge was mounted on the 'retired' board just inside the parlor, alongside 5 other officers' who have been lost in the line of duty.

The funeral home was packed. At least 200 visitors were there during our visit, and the line kept flowing in as fast as it emptied out the back door. I would estimate our time inside at about 45 minutes. We searched for the CTZCC wreath, but there were so many of them (lining each wall of each room) I was unable to locate it. It looked like a florist in there.

Uniformed police officers and firefighters from every jurisdiction were in attendance, their shoulder patches representing many, many departments from NY, NJ, CT, NH, MASS, and PA. A constant Honor Guard stood at attention beside the remains of Tommy and his family. In accordance with common procedure for such destructive fires, the remains of each of our friends were cremated. Deeply polished black mahogany boxes sat on pedestals, with Catholic crucifixes atop each one, and a polished name plate bearing their names and information on the side of each box.

Sully's Dad was there, as were Donna's brothers and Sully's sister. They each took time to speak with every visitor as the line passed them. Tommy junior wasn't present while we were there. They all made a good show of bearing up under the weight of this horrible event. Tough Irish stock, those people.

After we left I drove the short mile to the Sullivan home on Wyndham Lane. Altho I felt it was improper to take pictures inside the funeral home, I took a few shots there to share with you.

The neighborhood is pristine, and lined with stunning new single-family mansion-homes. Tommy afforded his family an upperclass lifestyle on a mile-long road ending in a Cul de Sac.

As you can see, nothing remains of their house. It collapsed on itself within 10 minutes. With the exception of young Tommy junior, nobody had a chance of getting out. After ensuring his son was out, Sully ran back upstairs to help his girls. The house fell around them.

A small memorial has begun to grow beside their mailbox (even MORE flowers), and a white board bears notes and memos from unsigned well wishers. In the short time I was there, 11 other cars rode respectfully past, stopped, or slowed. Two cars of high school kids stopped and got out to lay flowers at the memorial for their lost friends.

A temporary chainlink fence has been erected around the property, with warning statements from the insurance company. From the nearest corner, I was just able to get a sad shot of SULLYS Z. His dad told Scott and me that Tommy had spent his last day cleaning it in preparation for the upcoming Rhinebeck event. I can't tell you how I feel about that.

I don't think I have to.

Every cop we spoke with called Tommy a hero, and flatly stated 'that was the way THEY would want to go out' ~ helping their family in an emergency. The name Tommy Sullivan will be remembered for many many years to come, and I wouldn't be surprised if they named a street or a park or a bridge or a lake for him and his family.

We were all blessed to know him, and to call him our friend.

Zee you at the funeral tomorrow.
Frank T

Attachments:
File comment: SULLYS Z peeks out from the remains of the garage, awaiting rescue.
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 48639 times ]
File comment: Captain Sullivan's Larchmont police cruiser greeted visitors at the front door.
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0393.JPG [ 1.78 MiB | Viewed 48687 times ]

Last edited by Frank T on Fri May 04, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:35 pm 

Thank you Frank for taking the time to compose your thoughts so we all can feel a little of what you and Scott felt today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:49 pm 

Having trouble with the photographs. Maybe later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:30 pm 

Thanks Frank for the reflection and thanks Dave for the decals. I will hopefully see both of you through the crowds tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:52 pm 

Thank you Frank, my wife and I spent the evening there tonight. I could not give a better report than you already have. Tommy Jr. was present tonight, and he stood strong alongside his Grandfather. Every supportive hug he received welled up tears in my eyes. I cannot imagine the strength he is putting forth to stand there, with the magnitude of the event on his shoulders. I could clearly see that his beloved family, past and present, is nourishing him with the strength to maintain composure. As we left, we saw one of the most beautiful sunsets, featuring perfect glass reflections off of Lake Gleneida, with a rose colored sky and salmon clouds. Budding trees, backed by a giant full moon. It was incredible, and certainly strategically planned.

See you at the Service tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:02 am 

Sat morning ~ my Z has no lights! :cry: Something electrical, probably in the switch. They're flashing on and off by themselves. Don't want to drive it 150 miles without headlamps.

Unless I can rearrange my family's schedule on short notice and commandeer another vehicle, I might not be able to make this funeral today. :cry:

Clive, Ross....I might try to meet you guyz at Ferncliff cemetery in Hartsdale.

Frank

*Well, this didn't work out for me today. Sometimes you can plan your life, but can't work your plan. Who went? What did you zee?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:56 pm 

Thank you all who played a part in making this past week a week of good memories of Tommy and his family. Frank, I wish I could write a great detailed version of todays event but it is still very hard to type through this.

The funeral was very touching and the turn out was amazing. They all touched so many lives in a positive way and they can never be replaced. Tommy Jr stood strong with his family and as we could expect - he will be very well taken care of by the remaining love ones in his family.

After we were done with the funeral, a group of the Z family took a 25 min cruise to get lunch and talk about the good times. It was a good time to get 14 people together to eat, laugh and reflect. It reminds me of what the Z clubs are all about and what Tommy and his family stood for - love, happiness, togetherness, quality time and just a sense of belonging.

I hope I can add more in a few days but just want to say thank you again to everyone!

1976 Fairlady Z

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next