Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
  Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:28 pm 

I could not bear to attend this sad occasion today but did go to Rhinebeck with the Z, Dave and his wife Reggie and Tom and his 280z28 were in attendance, I felt i was there to honor Sully and his family there as Frank mentioned he had cleaned up his cars last weekend in anticipation of attending the show, Last fall at a cruise in Mike and I were at I picked up a 1977 motor trend mag that had a full back page ad with Sullys silver Celica liftback and a few pages in an ad for a 77 280z, only it was in brown, I was so looking forward to giving it to Tommy today, I guess i'll hang on to it after all..... But it's funny, as Mike and I were walking around i'd swear I saw Sully and Meagan a couple of times in the crowd of people all doing what we all and the Sullivan family loved to do... God bless the family and Tommy jr.......... They will not be forgotten..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:55 pm 

Clive, may I please say, you are quite a ROCK in your own right.

Knowing just how close you and Tommy were, I can only imagine
how this is impacting you. Yet you pull together your reserves of
strength and call upon your substantial personal capabilities to
help get things organized and well-executed. And then to be a
support system, to so many people who have lost such a very dear
and much-respected friend and colleague, challenges description.

I want you to know that I love you, Brother, and I'm sure that I
am speaking for several hundred other people, Z owners and
otherwise, when I make a feeble attempt to put what we feel
for and about you into mere words. We are all blessed to know
and to be associated with you, even as we were with Sully.

(An "AMEN!" is in order by whomever.)

All Z Best,............................Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:06 pm 

Kathy & Rick wrote:
. We are all blessed to know
and to be associated with you, even as we were with Sully.

Amen indeed. Well said Rick. We will always be here for you Clive and our brothers and sisters in NY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:25 pm 

Amen and Amen.

Clive lost a dear friend not very long ago (maybe two years?) and I know that wound has not yet healed. Now losing Tommy has to be akin to a one-two punch in the heart.

We might not be able to do anything about your pain, Clive (Lord knows we feel it too), but sometimes it helps just to know others see what you're going thru and wish it were otherwiZe.

We know you've got your own club there, but you're also one of us here. You're our Z brother, and we hope the sun shines on your life often.

Seems like a good time for an Old Irish Proverb, doesn't it?

Hang tight, brother. We're all hurtin'.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:27 pm 

AMEN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:44 pm 

[quote="tom.wasney"]I could not bear to attend this sad occasion today...[/quote]

SurpriZingly understandable, Tom.

Back in the very early 1960s, Folksinger/songwriter Woody Guthrie was the mentor and inspiration for a 19 yr old Illinois kid named Robert Zimmerman, who became Guthrie's dedicated protege. Zimmerman copied much of Guthrie's style and, more importantly, much of his spirit.

When Zimmerman's music began to get popular (VERY popular) with the American college crowd, he adopted the name Bob Dylan and was a multi-millionaire by the time he was 21. He credited Guthrie with his every success, and worshipped him like a disciple.

Dylan, of course, developed into a world-famous Bard and hard-talking truth speaker for American youth. His songs, all original, struck straight at the heart of the listener and stunned us with the truth of what he was singing. Nothing about Dylan was sugar-coated, and he never hesitated to address the most-sensitive or delicate matters of our day. He was a sour prophet. His spirit was tough, and he got that from Woody. He was Guthrie's strongest advocate.

But when Woody Guthrie died in 1967, Bob Dylan couldn't bring himself to attend the funeral. He told the press afterward, "there are some things in a man's life which are just too hard to carry".

It was that single event which made us all realize how much Woody Guthrie meant to Bob Dylan.

For that same reason, we understand exactly what you mean.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:22 pm 

I want to express our sincere Thank You, to all of our friends and family who were able to get to Carmel this week. This gratitude also extends to all those that were able to offer support through thought and prayer. In tough times like these, only the presence of friends and family can help to lighten the burdens of pain, sorrow, and bewilderment.

I know Sully's jovial spirit was in those seats with us, as we left the service and twisted our Z cars through the misty woods of Putnam County. Those are the very roads that Sully enjoyed on his way to the various events of the past. One more trip with Sully.

We will NEVER forget Tommy, Donna, Meaghan or Mairead. All those fortunate enough to have met them, will always carry a bit of their spirit. We hope to carry just a bit of that spirit into the club, to fill the missing parts. This spirit, will hopefully nurture our Z family, and give it some of the strength and support, found in abundance, with the Sullivan family.

As for Tommy, Jr. we will always be here for you. Should you need assistance of any sort, our lines are open. Contact the club and we will jump into action for you. We are merely reflections of our time spent with your family, and can thus return support.

Regards,
NYZCC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:46 am 

http://hudsonvalley.ynn.com/content/top ... t-funeral/

A video of parts of today's service. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:55 am 

Did you guys notice this shot? It's the Z y'all have all come to know.

That's gotta be unbearable.

Attachments:
tommy.png
tommy.png [ 309.39 KiB | Viewed 55676 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:57 am 

Yeah ~ Tommy's dad told us Tommy spent his last day/night (Monday) detailing that 280Z to get it prepared for the Rhinebeck show on Saturday.

Little did he know he would have other destinations this weekend, instead.

Tommy had many activities in his life; work, family, coaching, etc. He could have done many things on Monday. It moves me strangely to think that he spent his final day on earth detailing SULLY'S Z. The part of Tommy we all knew best ~ the Z part ~ was the happy thing which occupied his final day among us.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:20 am 

The stunning speed with which the Sullivan home flared and collapsed (about 10 minutes) has focused attention back upon the new construction methods of using "engineered wood" (compressed and glued particles) as building material.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120503/N ... y=obinsite

Not all the questions have been answered yet, but the building material used in all the houses in the Sullivans' neighborhood is lightweight, highly flammable, and disintegrates under heat. Today's "engineered wood" has a burn-thru rate of about 6 minutes, while an equivalent piece of older style construction real wood burns-thru in 30 minutes. Particle board consists of small pieces and chips of wood, compressed and held together with resins and glues. When exposed to heat, the resin melts, the glue ignites, and the board disintegrates. When used to support weight (such as walls or roofs), burning "engineered" wood simply falls apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:47 pm 

Yes, I did some research into fire-treated lumber. It can't be all that expensive to do, especially in volume. Every second counts. Get those 10 year old smoke detectors in the bin, and put in a full set of new ones with built in CO detection. Place a few fire extinguisher's around the house in strategic locations. Formulate a plan with your family, for various scenarios. It really could save your life.

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/citizens/home_fire_prev/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:43 pm 

In my 16 years as a firefighter I have noticed a distinct difference in fire travel and speed of the new lightweight construction as opposed to the traditional "stick" or 2x4 construction we are accustomed to. From the perspective of being inside one of these burning structures, the fires travel horizontal and vertical spans with alarming speed and the extent of involvement may not present itself as apparently as with old school construction. The threshholds for collapse are much much sooner as well.

I can't comment on the Sullivan's circumstances in particular, nor would I want to. The heartbreaking end result is still the same. God Bless them....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:46 pm 

Thanks, Dave, from ALL OF US, for your very wise counsel.
I admit to being one of those who is probably out-of-date as
to smoke detection, and I appreciate your admonition.

I don't know how much the update/upgrade would cost, but
I have to believe that whatever the price, it would be a very
good investment indeed.

While on this sad but important topic, Dave, can you (or any-
one else reading this), tell us how to determine whether the
materials used to build our respective houses are the old,
tough, relatively fireproof variety; or the newer, particle-
and-glue type which we now know are highly inflammable
once ignited? I suppose that some kind of "cutoff date" on
when our houses were constructed, is what I'm looking for.
And is anyone able to comment on the advisability of having
one or more of those "chain ladders" that you can hook onto
your window sill for climbing down from the second story?

It seems that I've contracted a case of paranoia.

All Z Best,...........................Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:07 pm 

Our best hope is that this horrible incident instills a severe case of paranoia in each of us. Or at least fire awareness.

Particle board ("engineered lumber") has only recently been approved for home construction use in some states since about 1999. If your home predates that, you are using the old "stick" construction mentioned above.

Engineered lumber is simply small pieces of wood (and sawdust!) compressed together and solidified with resin and glue. They even use glue to join some structures to others, rather than nail them together. :shock:

Considering that the glue is flammable and the resin melts when heated, it's baffling to me how they ever approved that. Some slick-talking lawyer (sorry Mark) must have convinced somebody that engineered lumber has greater tensile strength and lateral breaking resistance than natural lumber has. That may be true, but in case of a fire, the whole material simply disappears.

Rope ladders are a good idea for escaping 2d story windows, unless there is a window directly below it. If the flames are pouring out the window below you, you might not want to lower a ladder down there. Boat companies custom cut ladders to desired lengths. Weight considerations are important ~ it's hard for two or more people to wait their turn while the room is on fire. Everybody wants to climb down at once.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next