Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:00 pm 

Hi Everyone
I'm Liam the Marine Frank is talking about.
I'm doing very well and healing very quickly. Thank you ALL VERY much for your support, it is greatly appreciated.
I'm recovering from my injuries and making great progress. Soon I will move rooms and focus solely on physical therapy.
I'm extremely tired right now so I'll have to get back with you guys later.

Thanks,
Liam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:16 pm 

It's great to hear your doing well!! Keep it up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:27 pm 

I'm just grateful you're alive!!! :)

Really good to hear you on here, Liam. We're pulling for your speedy recovery. I know it must be a chore to type one-handed, so I really appreciate your input here.

We'll stay in frequent touch with you (espcially on your birthday this Friday, 01July). If there's anything you need, or anything we can do for you, do NOT hesitate to ask us. We're your Z brothers, and you can't quit a free Club.
You're stuck with us. :lol:

Semper Fi ~
Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:45 pm 

Friday, 01July, is Liam's 30th birthday! :D

Happy Birthday, buddy. You nearly didn't make it! You have the greatest gift anyone has the right to ask for ~ you're alive.

We'll be thinking of you on your special day! :wink:

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:43 pm 

I'm happy to report that Liam SKYPED me tonight and he's doing much better! :D

They have made some remarkable progress on his wounds and he was alert and animated for the 10 minutes we talked. He remains highly motivated (typical Marine) and looks forward to SKYPING with us at the monthly meeting tomorrow night.

Some members of his combat team have returned from Afghanistan today, and intend to visit him tmrw. If they are there during our meeting, I have told Liam we can SKYPE another time. His chance to be reunited with his combat buddies again is far more important than our SKYPE. We'll know more tmrw.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:16 pm 

Amazing story!

Liam thank you for your service.

1972 Datsun 240z #88178

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:27 pm 

I spoke with Liam tonight, and casually asked him if he had anything to be thankful for this year. His answer gave me goosebumps and nearly put a tear in my eye.

For the Marine Corps' 236th Birthday, Liam traveled to Nevada to reunite with his buddies from the 5th Marine Regiment, with whom he served in Afghanistan. The small fireteam of Marines who were with him when he was hit, and who saved his life, were there to greet him. (More goosebumps).

He's very Thankful.

God is good.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:52 pm 

...All the time.
And all the time...
God is good.
Amen?

Say, Frank, most of our guys wouldn't know of a "fire team."
Is it the same as in the Army, where a fire team is 5 men led by
a Sgt E-5, and two fire teams in a squad headed by a SSgt E-6?
~Rick~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:04 pm 

Today's Corps uses the 4-man fireteam, composed of a teamleader (usually a lance corporal) who is also the grenadier, one automatic rifleman, and two riflemen. Each man is trained to take over the duty of the guy above him when necessary and to serve as the assistant to the next most-important job. There are three fireteams in each squad, three squads in each platoon, three platoons in each company, three companies in each battalion, three battalions in each regiment, three regiments in each division.
Combat needs can (and usually do) change ALL of those numbers, so after a week of heavy contact a unit in the field seldom resembles itself during training or on paper.

Liam's team reached him immediately and stopped him from dying on Afghanistan's Plains.

Post subject: Sgt Liam Dwyer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:50 pm 

Frank,
I have re-read all the posts about Marine Sgt Liam Dwyer by you and others from the sending of goodie boxes, his being seriously wounded, and his courageous recovery. I tried to relay the facts to Nancy but had to stop. I just couldn't speak about it.
Each year we make donations to many worthy causes and organizations. I try to avoid those that bombard with follow-up mail. In the morning I will contact Naugatuck Valley Savings and Loan and make sure I have an up-to-date address to send our donation to the Liam Dwyer Wounded Warrior Fund.
I hope others will do the same.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:04 pm 

Great, Alan. Altho Liam's medical surgeries were covered by the Dept of Defense, his family endured serious financial strains, trying to be at his side 24x7 while he recovered in Bethesda, Maryland. Liam will need many personal items which his paycheck simply will not cover. The Naugatuck Savings fund will help Liam and his family meet some of those expenses. I can't send much, or too often, but every little bit helps. If at the end of the month I find I have an extra $35 to send, it makes me feel better.

With the loss of one leg above the knee, serious damage to his right leg below the knee and to his right arm below the elbow, Liam understands his dreams to race again will depend on some heavy modification to his NISMO 350Z. A paddle-shift automatic is almost a given. He is determined to shift a standard again ASAP, but the current reality is less exotic. He might even have to get another car altogether.

This is a great guy. He has to be one of the toughest men I know. Crushed and fractured ribs, punctured lung, mangled arm and leg and traumatic amputation above the knee of the other leg FAIL TO STOP HIM. He laughs and encourages others when they get sounding dismal about his injuries. A true Marine. I'd hate to ever have to fight him ~ he'd be impossible to stop! He's looking forward to living the rest of his life to the fullest, and he's intent on pulling everybody else along with him. I intend to help him do that any time and any way possible.

If you put yrslf in Liam's position, I dare you to have as positive an attitude as he has! He intends to remain in the Corps and make it his career. I bet he does just that. He could take a disability retirement (and probably make a lot more money), but he is intent on serving us as long as he can. Having made a career out of the Corps, I can tell you there ain't a lot of money in it, and people you never met try to shoot you. I have a lot of respect for people who opt to take those risks, at such low pay, for the sake of others. We should all hope to raise a son so noble.

Mark Twin said, "Tis a fine thing for a man to fight for his own freedom. Tis far finer to fight for another man's".

If you find yrslf with a few bucks left at the end of your month's expenses, PLEASE consider making a donation to Liam's trust fund.

Liam Dwyer Wounded Warrior Fund
Naugatuck Valley Savings and Loan
1570 Southford Road
Southbury, CT 06488

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:02 pm 

I saw a news item on TV on 12/07 that featured a Marine vet of the attack on Pearl Harbor. He spoke of the Marines being an equal opportunity employer: you can get shot at on the land, the sea, and in the air.

My deep gratitude goes out to all of you who have served and still serve in this courageous organization. We are a better and safer world because of you.

Jim

ZCON 2015 Gold Cup - Street Modified class

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 pm 

:lol: I saw that, too! He said it with such calm conviction!

You're welcome, Sir. As any Marine will tell you, it was seldom a pleasure, but ALWAYS an honor.

Frank

Post subject: Visit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:44 am 

Frank come down and see me when you get a chance

Liam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:28 am 

As soon as possible, Liam.