Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:58 pm 

Our member Liam Dwyer (IDSTANG) (also Events Director of the CT AutoCross & Rally Team) has reenlisted in the US Marine Corps and is presently deployed on his 3rd tour in SWA, this time in Afghanistan.

I have received his email and snail mail addresses and am packing him a box of goodies to mail soon. One of the items Liam misses most are car magazines. You'll remember his red 350 NISMO burning up the AutoCross track in Bristol last August ~ all he sees now are 4wd military trucks and burning sand.

If you have recent car magazines (especially Z-related) which you are willing to release, please contact me (Frank *at* CTZCC.com) and I'll make arrangements to gather them from you to send to Liam and his buddies.

THANK YOU for this ~ you're supporting our troops, our Corps, and our CTZCC member!

Frank

Last edited by Frank T on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:18 am 

Frank, If you can ,get a list of other items he may need that he can't get there .I would be glad to put a care package together for him. Not sure what the wife did with my Nissan Sport mags though :shock: Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:57 am 

I have heard from Liam and you will note I have changed the title of this thread to 'relocate' him. Liam re-joined thinking he would be used again in Iraq. Instead they have sent him to Afghanistan. :?

He is stationed on a primitive outpost with no electricity or running water. He is not far from a 'real' base, so he normally gets to visit there once every 10 days or so. Nothing like a shower every 10 days in the Afghan desert, whether you need it or not. :roll: He also gets to use a computer while he's there, to catch up on email.

Upon my request, Liam has sent me a list of stuff he needs most. We want to ask you (YOU!) to gather together as many of the foillowing items as you can comfortably afford, and send them to Liam. Words of encouragement and your email address would be nice, too:

"My girlfriend has been sending me care packages. What I like in my care package: car mags (old and new), granola bars (great for taking with you on patrol), gatorade packets, baby wipes (no showers here),
q-tips for those hard to reach places, trail mix, peanuts, slim jims,
beef jerky, oreo cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and jack daniels in
Listerine bottles".

*(Obviously we won't get away with THAT!)

If you wish to email Liam directly, PLEASE do it. Contact me by email: (Frank 'at' CTZCC.com) and I will give you his military email address. He has authoriZed me to do that.

He misses his 350Z and has big plans for when he returns. Liam is single, misses his girlfriend, and misses his weekly activities with CT Auto Cross and Rallye Team. He helped coordinate our first CTZCC AutoX last August.

If you would rather contribute to the CTZCC Care Package we are assembling for him, pleaZe bring your items to the first Monthly Meeting in Old Saybrook in April. We will remind you of that ahead of time, but for now, pleaZe don't throw out any of your old (or new) car magazines!

Thanks, everybody ~
Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:42 am 

I wish we can just bring the boys back home, along with some of my cousins over there. Then send over some magazines of nuke missile and get over this useless war to gain access to oil and other precious raw materials, and giving arms dealers what they wanted badly before 911, money. In the mean time, I'll see what Mags I can find laying around. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:55 pm 

It's a shame the first meeting is so far away, otherwise we could consolidate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:06 am 

I heard from Liam today ~ he received Jim's package and sends his sincere thanks!

Way to go, Jimmy! :wink:

I sent him a 12lb package about 2 weeks ago but it hasn't reached him yet.

We will collect stuff (including any notes/letters/cards) from any members at this month's meeting in Old Saybrook, and send it to Liam from the Club.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:07 am 

I received an email from Liam today. He thanks us all for the individual packages members are sending him, but he keeps forgetting to bring their emails with him when he gets near a computer, so he can thank them directly.

He spends 10 days "in the bush" and then gets one or two days at a major base, where he has access to internet (and electricity! And a shower!). His schedule is not always exact, so it's hard for him to plan a trip back to the base camp.

His address has changed (send no more to his old one). I have sent several boxes of stuff from our April meeting to his old address, and they will now have to be forwarded to his new command. Those of you who intend to send any more stuff to him, contact me by PM or email for his new mailing address.

We anticipate sending no further stuff after the end of May, in case he comes home. Of course, the Marines who remain there can certainly use anything that doesn't reach Liam! :D

Liam says the Taliban suddenly seem reluctant to engage the Marines in gunfights this month! 8) Hmmm....I wonder why?? :lol:

Frank