Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:20 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:53 pm 

I just received word that our member Liam Dwyer, USMC, was blown up in Afghanistan during May. He is recovering in Bethesda Naval Hospital, MD. His parents and girlfriend are at his side.

http://liamdwyer1.blogspot.com

The CTZCC members voluntarily donated seven boxes full of health & comfort items for Liam, who was on his second combat tour in South West Asia. His first tour (Iraq) ended in injury too, when his convoy was ambushed. This is Liam's second Purple Heart.

I am making plans to visit him in MD asap. More info as it becomes available.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:06 pm 

He has my prayers. Good thing he's coming home.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:10 pm 

wow. my prayers go out to him and his family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:15 pm 

Thanks for passing this news along Frank. We will keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:12 pm 

Liam,
If you ever end up reading this thread - thank you for your willingness to serve and sacrifice for our country. I wish you peace and healing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:58 pm 

I just spoke by phone with Liam in his hospital bed in Bethesda Naval Hospital. It was the first time we've heard each other's voices since the CTZCC/CART Autocross last August. He sounded wonderful and is in very good spirits.

He has lost his left leg above the knee (I had first understood it was his right leg ~ mistakenly) and his right hand is seriously wounded. He is already planning how he will drive in competition next year! :D He hopes to remain in the Marine Corps if possible (typical Marine ~ you blow parts off them and they re-enlist).

Liam doesn't remember much about the IED which tried to kill him in Afghanistan in May. He has no idea where it was or how it was triggered. Things were normal one moment, then he had ringing in his ears and was on his back. The Corpsman pumped him full of Happy Juice which knocked him out, and they MedEvac'd him. He woke up in the USA with his parents nearby.

He received some of the seven boxes we sent him, but not all of them. He specifically asked me to THANK YOU for your generosity. He said it made a big impact to receive your stuff in the middle of nowhere. He looks forward to zeeing us all again and thanking us in person. That'll take awhile.

I will visit Liam soon, to spend a day with him. He has surgery every other day (no exaggeration) to remove as much shrapnel from him as they safely can. He was very close to the IED when it detonated.

His main concerns right now seem to be rehabbing his right hand, and getting in touch with his Marines back in Afghanistan, to see how they're getting along without him.

That's a Marine ~ you blow his leg off and he worries about his buddies.

It was good to hear his voice again, and I'm glad he's home. More as we get it.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:37 pm 

I'm 110% with Ross on this.
Liam , I can't say Thank You enough for protecting our way of life.
You are a HERO in every sense of the word, but being a Marine you probably don't get the HERO thing. However you are a HERO to me and every other American .

Frank Thank you for the updates. Our Military have a special place in my heart. Please keep the updates coming.

1980 280 zx coupe
2005 Pathfinder
1971 240 z
1982 280zx, 1977 &1974 corvettes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:57 am 

Liam has asked me to visit him before his next major surgery, and I will. Leaving tmrw to spend a few days with him in Bethesda. Yes, that means I will miss the Colin Foote Memorial weekend (AGAIN :roll: ), but I think Robin understands. Liam is scheduled for another big surgery next week.

When I asked him if I should bring anything down there to him, he yelled "YEAH. I'm on a non-restrictive diet. Bring me a few boxes of those Zebra Stripe cakes!" :lol: Nine months of deprivation in Afghanistan's back country can make you ravenous for junk food!

I'll try to bring back some pictures.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:04 am 

let us know how it goes Frank. i would think a big mac would sound good. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:14 pm 

NBC CT just aired a story about Liam. CART ran at Lime Rock today and streamed the video to Liam in Bethesda. Interviews with CART members and Liam's family.

The link to the story should be available soon.

Looking good Liam, Thank you for your service.

1976 Porsche 912E. #163 of 2200 - SOLD (3 years owned)
2018 BMW 330i GT xdrive daily driver
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i ….it is a Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:00 am 

I saw it last night as well ..
Here's the link
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/on-air/as ... 52959.html
Best of luck in a speedy recovery Liam !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:32 am 

I just returned from spending the weekend with Liam in Bethesda. It was absolutely wonderful to zee our buddy again.

He lost his left leg above the knee, and his right leg is shattered in several places btwn the knee and ankle. I almost killed him trying to move his leg into a more comfortable position (sorry Liam! :oops:) but he didn't scream or hurt me :roll: . He would have been justified doing both. One rib was broken and a lung was punctured. His right arm is also shattered btwn the elbow and wrist. All this is rebuilt, reset, and splinted. His right Lat has been grafted onto his right forearm to replace the missing muscle there. He's on a slow drip of Happy Juice which only lets him talk a few minutes before drifting back to sleep.

I am delighted to report that EVERY statement out of his mouth is positive! He is highly motivated to recover, to stay in the Corps if possible, and to drive competitively again. He's even willing to return to the war if they need him. Considering the tremendous blast he took, and the totality of his injuries, he's very grateful to be alive. The man is a walking miracle. He must be about the toughest man breathing air.

His fiance is by his side almost 24-7, and his mother is living at the base as well. He has a room full of goodies sent by well-wishers, including a bulletin board covered by handmade cards from school kids in his CT hometown, expressing their own feelings for him. Some of them could have put tears in my eyes if I wasn't such a tough guy :roll: .

I brought him some stuff he asked for and some other items I thought he should have, and relayed your regards and best wishes to him. Like a dummy I forgot my camera, so I don't have any pictures to share with you. Sorry ~ there was too much going on when I left, and I just assumed I had it with me.

Liam is clear-thinking, with excellent long-term memory and normal speech. Considering how close he was to the IED, he is blessed that he didn't lose his eyes or "anything else". He has surgery every other day, and his recovery days are highly sedated. So his short term memory is hampered by only being awake 10 minutes at a time. His sleep is obviously (visibly) fraught with nightmares, but he doesn't always remember them. As hobbled-up as he is, he nearly took out a Navy Corpsman who surpriZed him in the night to take his vital signs. They have learned to call his name as they approach at night 8) . Typical combat Marine.

Bethesda is a military (well, Navy... 8) ) base. Liam's hospital ward is full of Marines injured in Iraq and Afghanistan. Some of them are from Liam's unit (5th Marines) and he's looking fwd to being able to visit with them. They are all in pretty much the same shape, and all bed-bound in private rooms. Walter Reed Hospital (Army) is in the process of merging into the Bethesda facility, so the entire base is torn up with construction now. Because I'm retired, I stayed on base at the Hostess House motel at a really cheap rate. The place was filled with family members of recovering Marines. I got to sit around a BBQ with them and talk late into the night. Every story is different, while all being very similar. Parents and wives from all around the country are there supporting their Marines.

While I regret not being able to attend Colin's event, I am very glad I went to zee Liam. He will have another major surgery on his right arm and leg today (Monday), and will remain in ICU for a few days following that. This past weekend was the optimal time to visit him and I didn't want to miss the opportunity. He says hello to us and thanks us again for the goodies we sent him in Afghanistan. Liam is willing to SKYPE with us at our 13July meeting if possible ~ we'll be working out those details this week.

More as it develops. Keep Liam in your prayers, please.

Frank

Last edited by Frank T on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:58 pm 

Thanks for the update Frank, all of this brings tears to my eyes and Liam will be in my prayers every day for a great recovery. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Black 2007 350-Z
67 Camaro Custom
Orange Late 71 240-Z Sold and sitting in a Doctors Collection

Colin Foote Never Forgotten!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:23 pm 

Thnx Scotty ~ we're hoping to arrange a SKYPE to Liam from our next meeting at RDZ. Not sure of his surgery schedule yet, tho.

F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:44 pm 

I have learned today about a fund Liam's friends have set up for him. While he's in the hospital, his basic medical costs are paid for, of course. But having family with him (staying in the base hotel, eating, transportation costs to/from CT, etc) is not cheap. When he leaves the hospital, there will be greater expenses while he Rehabs at home. I think this is a good idea, and I intend to donate whatever I can, as often as I can. I encourage anyone to donate what they can afford, to make this transition easier for Liam and his family.

Liam Dwyer Wounded Warrior Fund
Naugatuck Valley Savings and Loan
1570 Southford Road
Southbury, CT 06488

Your donation(s) don't have to be large, but every bit will help.

We sent him. He went because we asked him to keep the fight over there, so we don't have to fight it over here. He did what we asked. Now he can use our help.

Thanks, everyone.

(and thank you, Liam).

Frank