Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:30 pm 

So I didn't get much of a response on the tech forum so I'm reposting here...

How do you assess the corrosion resistance of ethylene glycol as a function of how much water you add? For example: if you do 50/50 does that have twice the corrosion resistance of 70/30? Or does going to 70% water cut back the corrosion capability 3-4 times?

This has become a big deal to me as I've struggled with some corrosion related troubles on my Z32 at the coolant outlet pipes which come as a result of pitting on both the aluminum and steel hardpipes.

As I'm digging into this I found a decent reference explaining coolant fundementals:
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/841/coolant-fundamentals

This stuff is more complicated than I recognized at first. I'm not looking to become an expert here, just recognize what it takes to best maintain the coolant system and avoid the types of problems I've had to deal with over the past month in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:18 pm 

I don't know the direct answer to your question, but the Nissan V-6 manual recommends 50/50 mix with distilled water anyway, so I don't have to concern myself with the hypothetical. Also, (a) the label on the bottle should give you some data about that, and (b) racers are prohibited from using antifreeze on the racetrack because it's slippery if you break the radiator and spill it. They make you use water instead, which can be kitty-litter-dried quickly after an accident. So they have the same concern you're talking about here. I suppose racers drain and pull the engines so more often than street cars do, they don't face the same corrosion challenges we might. Also, water from different sources is harder or softer or more or less alkaline, so I would think the rate of corrosion likelihood would depend upon the quality of water you mixed with the antifreeze. Probably why they specify distilled water.
If you are considering different equations, you are challenging the FSM instructions.
Just a guess. I'll bet the RDZ guys could answer better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:37 am 

I use a silicate free anti-freeze, look on the bottle. and I use about 70 coolant to 30 water, distilled. The same anti-freeze Honda recommends.......and people didn't read, and therefore had head gasket issues. How many Legends out there with Blown head gaskets......alot.