Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:40 am 

One of the more overlooked sources of media blasting are headstone marker companies. When I repainted my motorcycle tank, I took it to a gravestone company and they did an outstanding job removing the old paint in minutes. The media particles needed for headstones are far finer than for steel, so the job comes out almost satin-y. Also, a machine shop (or other source) might use their blaster a time or two a day (or week), whereas the headstone people use theirs nearly constantly. That ensures constantly replenished (clean) media and an experienced hand. They did my tank while I waited and I was amaZed at how perfectly smooth they had made it. They asked for $10. I gave them $20 and walked off. They were happy just to have something different and pretty to blast other than 400lb headstones on rolling carts.
Memorial marker companies tend to hang out near big cemeteries. Mine was directly across the street from one.
Their blaster cabinets are huge walk-in, fully-lighted booths run by remote control. The operator sits outside and watches what he's doing thru magnified optics. The small-business machine shop usually has a two-hand, single item blaster with a list of items waiting to be cleaned. The cemetery marker company can clean your parts along with the very next stone (which means "while you wait").

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:20 pm 

Interesting! A good peer of mine owns a headstone company in town! I'll look into that!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:59 am 

Didn't need to take them anywhere...tried something else. First results are very promising. Will post shortly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:21 pm 

I have a small benchtop blast chamber and a speedblaster handheld unit and they both work great.