Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:24 pm 

Transferred from APPEARANCE AND RESTORATION TIPS, just because it's such a good idea:

Post subject: Re: Wheels, Wheels, WheelsPosted: 03 Jun 2014, 00:32

I polished a set by myself. It's not that bad as long as there isn't clear coat on it already. If there is a coating over the wheels, it is kind of a pain to remove it but it can be done.

I did this by hand:

The one on the right is after mag/aluminum polish. The one on the left is with the clear coat stripped and sanded down. If you get a mothers power ball with a handheld drill, you can get to a mirror shine.

Frank T
Post subject: Re: Wheels, Wheels, WheelsPosted: 03 Jun 2014, 00:50

Well what if you just media-blasted the clear coat off instead? Wouldn't that be a lot quicker than grinding it off?

Carl Beck
Post subject: Re: Wheels, Wheels, WheelsPosted: Today, 09:36

Hi Frank:
If you media blast an aluminum wheel - using glass beads for example - it will leave the surface of the aluminum rough or slightly textured. You might be able to soda blast them with less texturing…but the aluminum has to be smooth before it can be polished.

If you media blast - you have to then sand the wheels down to a smooth finish {800 or 1000 grit wet sand}. Believe me, you don't want to do that. I sanded the tips of my fingers off before I got the wheels done. {really, they were bleeding!}.

I would use an Aircraft Paint Stripper to remove the clear coat. Polishing aluminum wheels is a little work, but it goes far easier if you use the right Metal Polish and Buffing Pads. The best come from: Nuvite Chemical Compounds Corp.

Their NuShine II Metal Polish comes in several grades. For a wheel like Ross's or one much duller - you could start polishing with their "Grade C". It will quickly and relatively easily bring a dull aluminum wheel back to bright and shinny. Then go over that with their "Grade S" for a mirror like finish.

NOTE: This Polish isn't cheap. 1/4 lb can will cost about $22.00 and last you for years. Very Little, Very Little is needed to do a wheel. {well worth the money!!}
https://www.nuvitechemical.com/c-39-met ... ystem.aspx

I use their Non-Abrasive Polishing Pads {with their polish} - these are used by hand - and you can buy a 5 pack for $10.00 or so. The Pads are large - and I cut them into much smaller strips - a couple fingers wide.
https://www.nuvitechemical.com/p-33-non ... g-pad.aspx

Bottom line - you might have $60.00 in supplies and shipping - but you will never use anything else to polish metals. By the way - a little jar of Mothers Billet Metal Polish will cost $18.00 and it doesn't compare to the performance of the NuShine products.

FWIW,
Carl B.

Frank T
Post subject: Re: Wheels, Wheels, WheelsPosted: Today, 17:01

Now see? This is why I belong to this Club. I can learn so much (and save a lot of money) listening to people who have already done all the research and made all the mistakes, and save myself a lot of pain. Thanks Carl.

What (if anything) do you recommend for removing the years of imbedded brake dust and road grime from the BACKSIDE of aluminum 5-slots?

Carl Beck
Post subject: Re: Wheels, Wheels, WheelsPosted: Today, 18:05

Hi Frank:
First - a scrub brush, DAWN liquid dishwashing detergent and water. Blow them dry or dry them - then you can wipe them down with lacquer thinner. That will take about 90+% off.

After that if you want them really clean, a light polish with the NuShine Grade C and the non-abrasive polishing pad. You can do about 1/4 of the wheel at a time - and wipe it off with a clean cloth before it gets too dry… You don't want to polish it to a high luster - just enough to get the embed grim and stubborn stains off.

I use latex disposable rubber gloves - and it only takes about the amount that sticks to one finger - if you touch a finger onto the polish in the jar. No need to apply much at all back there - then rub it on the wheel with a piece of the pad about 3x4 inches wide. No need to rub hard - let the polish and friction do the cleaning..

Works for me…
Carl B.