Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:10 pm 

Frank T wrote:
You don't have Twice Pipes. You have real ANSAs with CherryBomb Glasspacks. Twice Pipes are MSA's near-copy of the original ANSAs.

Ah, I thought twice pipes was the name for all exhausts that split into two pipes at the header. Still missing that one glasspack though :oops:. Around how much should I be expecting to pay to get a new muffler(s) welded in? Have you gotten the pipes installed on your car?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:03 pm 

Finally got off my lazy butt and there was no rain today so I did the wire wheeling on the passenger side.
To
But wait! Whats that? Enhance!

Are those what I think they are? Enhance!
No way!
Stop it!
Oh the humanity!

If I remember the state of the drivers side correctly, that should be as worse as its going to get. I plan on using some epoxy to fill the holes after the rust converter, then doing the same from the bottom of the car, then use a bunch of coats of bedliner for my undercoating. Would it be okay to replace the seam sealer that I removed with epoxy also?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:07 pm 

porkbun wrote:
AAAAANrk/bmfs7s8J5Fk/s640/IMG_2428.JPG[/img]
If I remember the state of the drivers side correctly, that should be as worse as its going to get.

Apparently I didnt remember the driver side at all! More holllesssss!!! Widened them to get rid of the rusty edges :cry:

Also remembered to do my battery tray!

Floors are on coat #2 of Rustmort, battery tray is on #1. For some reason I didnt take any pictures, but the rustmort converted the rust into a hard black substance. Doesnt look great on clean metal but at least I wont have to worry about rust or looks once its painted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:07 pm 

porkbun wrote:
If I remember the state of the drivers side correctly, that should be as worse as its going to get.

Apparently I didnt remember the driver side at all! More holllesssss!!! Widened them to get rid of the rusty edges :cry:

Also remembered to do my battery tray!

Floors are on coat #2 of Rustmort, battery tray is on #1. For some reason I didnt take any pictures, but the rustmort converted the rust into a hard black substance. Doesnt look great on clean metal but at least I wont have to worry about rust or looks once its painted![/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:27 pm 

Self etching primer!

Started painting the passenger floor with Rustoleum and its taking its sweet sweet time drying :roll: Also reprimered the entire car this weekend and my index finger on my right hand is still hurting. Starting to think its time to invest in an air compressor. Ive got my eye on this one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:48 pm 

Or you could run down to Lowes or Home Depot and buy one of these for $5:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... 4AodYF8Aqg

Ask Keith about air compressors. He took a crash course on them two summers ago. You always have to buy more compressor than you expect to need. If you want to inflate tires, for example, you get about HALF the pressure your tank is rated at; (if you want 20lbs you should buy a 40lb tank). When your tank fills your tire to 20lbs, you've used half the tank pressure, so it reaches an equilibrium; both the tank and the tire now have 20lbs pressure in them, so no air flows after that.

I think you're doing a grand job and you've caught that rust at the last moment before it conquered the car.

I spoke with a kid last night whose dad owned a Z back in the day, and put PLEXIGLASS in both floorboards because it would never rust, and he could see what was going on beneath him as he drove. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:34 pm 

I was actually thinking the other day how cool it was to be able to see the ground while driving because of the drain holes, but I dont know if Id ever go as far as to put plexiglass down! Dont have any good pictures after the Rustmort did its job, but it just turned some areas black where there used to be a lot of rust. Kinda scary how metal can look brand new but still have oxidation hiding in plain sight.

That husky compressor maxes out at 125psi and my tires only need ~30psi so im set in that department, but the issue that many people are raising is with the size of the tank. People are saying that ~20 gallons is the minimum for painting something like a car but I dont really see how thats possible since I covered my entire car with 4 cans of primer (way less than 8 gallons). I think I could also just switch to a low volume low pressure spray gun instead of the more common high volume low pressure guns. Just throwing out ideas while I continue to do my researching