Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Garage Needed
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:38 pm 

Hi Gang,

I own a 77 280Z that I bought a while back from somebody who started the restoration process. Most of the panel, welding & priming work has been completed, and I also purchased a newer turbo motor and 5 speed transmission to replace the 1977 running gear.

I live in a small house in Manchester, CT and I don’t have a garage.

My project has sort of stalled because of this and I’m sick of seeing the car just sitting there with the cover over it while I see beautifully restored Z’s running all over Connecticut every weekend.

I’ve searched endlessly for people renting out garage’s but all of them are interested in storage only and will not allow any work to be done on their property.

I’m looking for someone that owns a garage large enough that would fit my car in the hopes that they would also allow me to work on the car for a fair rental fee.

I travel quite a bit for work so I wouldn’t be on the property all the time, and I wouldn’t be using any loud, pneumatic equipment, I just need a place to put the car for a year or so while I get all the mechanicals done, free from winter storms and bad weather.

If any of you have a space, with electrical outlets that’s relatively safe & secure and are willing to rent the space I would appreciate a reply.

For those of you that are not in that position but knows of someone who is or knows of any situation that would suite my needs, I would appreciate a reply.

I’m also open to sharing rental space, and/or even the possibility of co-owning a small garage that’s gone out of business and has been sitting empty forever (of which there is no shortage here in Connecticut)

Thanks for indulging my post……….

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:18 pm 

I'm beginning to think a man could get rich by building a multi-bay garage with a single lift in the middle of the state. There's no telling how much a man might be willing to pay to have such a rental facility available to him at the exact time he wants to rehab his Z car.

If I ever won the PowerBall I think I might build such a facility for Zs in this Club only.

I suspect the principal problem with such an arrangement would be liability insurance, in case anything went wrong. It might be OK for a homeowner to work on his own Z in his own garage, and if any of his buddies came over to help and they got hurt, his Home Owner's Policy would *probably* cover that.

But the moment you start renting your garage space out for mechanical labor to be performed there, you've effectively opened a business. Unless you're licensed (and proven safe) to do that, you're in trouble with the law. If you let your buddy use your garage free and something goes drastically wrong, his widow and survivors could sue you hardily for due diligence for "failure to provide enough fire extinguishers" or "failure to live close enough to a hospital" or "failure to ensure your property had cellphone service for emergencies" or "failing to ensure my husband didn't drink while working on HIS car in YOUR garage" or "failure to have a lifeguard on duty while my husband was working alone under your lift". Or something like that. And that spells I-N-S-U-R-A-N-C-E and licensing fees and state inspections, all of which raise your overhead and cause you to charge your buddies a lot of money for the 'favor' you're doing them.

I recently had just such an experience with another member, who only needed to put his ZX up in the air for a day (or maybe two) to change the clutch. He and I and maybe another couple of Clubbies were going to gang up on the car and do it together. I even know a guy with a hydraulic lift in his private garage on his private property, who had told me (about a year ago) that I was welcome to use the lift if I ever needed it. Well, I didn't see the guy for awhile and when I asked him to use the lift for this clutch job, he flat denied me. Since we had last talked, another of his friends had used the lift and put his own car into my friend's wooden garage rafters and storage loft, causing damage to both the garage and the car. That ended up in court and because my friend had offered his garage & lift as partial repayment for a prior favor his friend had done, it was determined that he was 'renting his mechanical space for pay', which required a license. Trouble all around and I'm not even sure it's resolved yet today, but my friend and his friend are now suing and counter-suing and only talking to each other thru lawyers, and that's too bad because they grew up together thru childhood.

The possibilities are endless. You could rent your your buddy a garage bay and let him come and go as he needed. Then one day you discover he has turned on the electric space heater and left it running while he went on vacation over the winter. Or he left the garage door open and your water pipes froze. Ot people walked into your open garage and took your tools. Or (as happened to me when we were kids) he installed a 409 Chevy in a Ford Falcon and inadvertently backed the car thru the rear wall of the garage and down the embankment into your fruit trees, destroying everything involved. :oops:

It's therefore unlikely that you would find someone willing to take those risks for any 'reasonable' price. What might be far more practical (and cheaper) is buying a new (or used) tent/garage/shelter and erecting it in your own yard. Run an extension cord out to it and you can do almost everything necessary except paint during the cold winter.

There are reasons why Rent-a-Space places strictly forbid us from working on the cars we store there. If anything we do manages to get us hurt or killed, or if we manage to set our gas tank on fire and it spreads to the adjoining storage bays, or if we drop a welding tank and it pinballs off the walls and destroys everything it touches, you can bet there will be a LOT of rug-dancing for us to do. The same problems exist for renting out a private garage.

Frank

Attachments:
Garage tent.jpg
Garage tent.jpg [ 170.7 KiB | Viewed 5060 times ]

Last edited by Frank T on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:33 pm 

too bad you live so far away. I rent a garage near me and I may be looking for a third roommate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:46 pm 

Yeah, Rochdale is just a little too far for me.

If you were in Springfield, Mass I could swing it...........

Story of my life....