Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:35 pm 

So the first week I had my 370Z I managed to smack into a barrier at about 5 mph and caused what looks like a lot of rock chips...

I took my license plate off finally and Image

as you can see there are some indents and what looks like rock chips, I have since touched most of the chips up but I was considering getting it resprayed

any advice on a body shop or what to do? it looks like I need to do something else with the indents

oh I got a quote for a respray at a Nissan dealer but that was $687, maybe I can apply that 15% discount I received last meeting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:48 pm 

I can't tell if that's a dent or a rip? If it's a rip, you'll want to get it sealed or repaired as soon as possible, and put a piece of clear tape over it until then. You don't want water and winter slushy/icy/salty stuff working its way in there. Your bumper might look solid from the outside, but it's a honeycomb of little collapsable chambers inside. At least, my Nissan is.
The Middletown Nissan guys are our sponsors too, and they use a body shop directly across the road from their dealership. Parts are virtually walked across the highway as needed on nice days.

We show a list of our sponsors on our Homepage. Press the big "Z" at the top of this page and it'll take you directly there. Make a few calls first and zee if they can save you some money (unless you're rich like the rest of us and money doesn't matter :roll: ) (HA!). Don't be afraid to shop around a little. We have a good reputation at all of our sponsors, and they know we represent about 600 local Z owners. Most of them really try hard to help us out.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:09 pm 

Frank, are you talking about the v shaped thing? that is a dent, and the black colored hole is where one of the screws went for the plate (there are other "chips" that have been touched up)

I put chips in quotes because they arent really chips lol

and I definitely want to shop around if I am getting this done as I am definitely not rich haha :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:17 pm 

I've got a 'dent' in my Nissan front bumper which is actually a rip and looks very much like that. That's why I asked.
I don't know how they would pull out a dent like that. The bumper is made of PCV over honeycomb pockets, which are intended to collapse upon impact to absorb force instead of transferring it back into the car body. I guess they could inject expanding foam into the cell directly behind the dent or something and push it back outward, but I'm not a body guy.

Why not call the Nissan dealer of your choice (hopefully one of our sponsors) and ask what procedure is used to repair cosmetic nicks like that? We'd all be interested in knowing. Surely they don't want to replace the whole bumper for that little nick? (They do on mine, but mine is a tear).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:22 pm 

yeah I can see how it would be a rip by looking at it again... there are actually two of them because the plastic frame I had there were two circular things and they kept pressing against my bumper:( I took my plate off and since I am heading to NJ for a week I can see if I can put the plate in a better spot... maybe drill a couple holes in the black area on my grille instead of going through the paint again

The indentations were covered by the plate before but I may set it lower on the grille and they would show and be annoying

I will definitely ask, is Alfano a sponsor? Harte is the closest to me (and the one who gave me the quote) but I don't think they are a sponsor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:52 pm 

To my recollection we haven't had any dealings with Harte yet (I might be wrong). Alfano Nissan are our newest friends and they strongly encouraged us to bring our Z questions and problems to them when we met there last Wednesday. They were explaining a Club discount when I had to step outside momentarily to help someone with their car, so I didn't hear what they offered us. They are 'hot' for our Club right now, because they actually had as good a time as we did during our meeting, and a dozen people walked in off the street to look at our cars. That always equates to business wherever we go, so sponsors like to keep us coming back.
We have 6 official Nissan dealerships sponsoring the CTZCC at this time; County Line, Executive, Middletown, Grossman, Miller and now Alfano. We sort of ran out of space on our Homepage and had to combine all those dealerships into a rolling ribbon advertiZement instead of having 6 individual block ads. I expect to zee Alfano added to that list very soon.
If you do call Alfano's, be sure to tell them you're our member and you're taking them up on the offer to answer our Z questions.
Either PreZident Emeritus Ross or PreZident Jim can tell you who our point of contact is at Alfano. Pretty sure it was Dave Alfano and Alex Rojas.