Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:40 pm 

Love folks thoughts on the best way to remove 30 years of gas (now varnish) from the inside of my 1973 240Z's gas tank. It has about 1/4 tank of gas that has been sitting. My thought is to drop the tank and drain all the liquid. Then put a chain in the tank with some TSP and water. Let is sit for a week or so sloshing it around daily to free all the stuck stuff. After that and a good rinsing give it a rinse with some acetone, again with the chain in it. If all looks good after that and there is no rust inside simply rinse it out, clean and paint it, and put it back into service.

Any thoughts on my approach? I've done this with other tanks in the past with great results but never on one that has sat for this long. Also how do you guys feel about tank liner systems. I figured if it's really rusted inside I would just get a reconditioned tank and not bother but I'm a bit old school.

Thanks,
Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:53 pm 

Sounds like a good start. I know POR15 makes a good gas tank restoration kit. I also have read about a system called KBS Coatings. I have read a review where the person used both POR15 and KBS. He said he had to go out and buy a different cleaner to get the gum out but with the KBS system the cleaner supplied worked great. The KBS system is also cheaper than the KBS.

KBS
http://www.kbs-coatings.com/tank-sealers.html

POR 15
http://www.por15.com/Fuel-System-Restoration_c_17.html

Oh and stay away from this product.
http://www.kreem.com/fueltankliner.html

I have read reviews where the sealer ended up flaking off after all said and done. I definitely wouldn't want that to go through filter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:56 pm 

Thanks. I'll see how clean I can get it and then decide if I need to go the restoration kit route.

What about the carbs? I'm going to replace all the flexible fuel lines from the tank to the carbs and flush the hard lines. I thought I would wait to see if I needed to rebuild the carbs after running some good gas and fuel system cleaner through the cleaned tank and lines. My thought is that would flush the carbs out but is that a bad idea given it's been sitting 30 years? I have the three weber set up, not sure if that makes a difference or not. My goal is to the car running again and on the road but I don't want to create more work for myself later on.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:56 pm 

Vinny Bedini would have some recommendations about the Webers. Call him at his Z speed shop (860)355.1829 and tell him you have the OLD Webers (not the new ones) which haven't been run in 30yrs. Ask what he suggests. Tell him you're our member (he is, too).

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:37 am 

Drain and air out the tank thouroughly then take it to your local radiator shop. They can boil out all of the rust and gunk and pressure test the tank to make sure there are no leaks. Going rate is around $100.

Be careful with the do it yourself gas tank restoration kits. The coatings that you "slosh" around the inside of the tank has a tendency to come loose and plug up the fuel system.

If hell-bent on a just as good as new tank, look up "Gas Tank Renu" on the web for your nearest shop. They literally cut your tank in half at the welds, clean it to bare metal and sue a special process coating inside and out. Guaranteed for life, about $600.

FYI, 240Z gas tanks are NO LONGER AVAILABLE and good used ones are hard to find.

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:16 am 

Great, thanks guys. Might go the radiator shop route.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:14 am 

I just clean out my gas filter every once in awhile. It's one of those glass ones that you can take apart, clean, and reinstall. Also, rust is still magnetic, hint, hint. I'm just saying for guys that can't get to cleaning their tank right away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:25 am 

I've known guys who simply placed a huge magnet on the underside of their old fuel tanks (not Zs tho, Healeys) and drove like that for more than a year without flaking problems. Sort of a quick-fix until they could get around to cleaning the tank. Seemed to work.